The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Mar 20, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #961 of 5,761
  Hi Folks,

Just received TA-ZH1ES. It plays fine when using WM1Z walkman as source. However, when chose the "USB-B" as source and connect to mac, none of the audio apps (Tidal, Audirvana+ etc...) able to transit any source, it freezed the mac and force the app to quit. Anybody else have the issue? Pretty sure it's not the mac's problem, i am able to transit source to Schitt DAC...

Any advise on how I can resolve it?

Much appreciated,

Are you able to play anything at all from your Mac? I'm running windows 10 and so far no problems with any of the applications. You may want to check your amp's driver on the Mac. Looks like it needs an upgrade.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #962 of 5,761
  Are you able to play anything at all from your Mac? I'm running windows 10 and so far no problems with any of the applications. You may want to check your amp's driver on the Mac. Looks like it needs an upgrade.

There is no driver for mac. Unless I missed anything?

Nothing worked when choosing TA-ZH1ES as DAC using Mac (OS X 12.6). Tried with iMac 5K and Macbook pro, same issue....

However, "PC/USB source" mode does work when using iphone+camera kit as source. 

I saw a few previous posts states the similar issue when using Mac. One poster said it was resolved on his macbook..

I am wondering if TA-ZH1ES work with mac at all, can anyone confirm that this is a known issue?

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #964 of 5,761

There is no driver for mac. Unless I missed anything?

Nothing worked when choosing TA-ZH1ES as DAC using Mac (OS X 12.6). Tried with iMac 5K and Macbook pro, same issue....

However, "PC/USB source" mode does work when using iphone+camera kit as source. 

I saw a few previous posts states the similar issue when using Mac. One poster said it was resolved on his macbook..

I am wondering if TA-ZH1ES work with mac at all, can anyone confirm that this is a known issue?

See this :
https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-acc/sony-hi-res-audio-player-mac-ver125/TA-ZH1ES#about

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #965 of 5,761
  See this :
https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-acc/sony-hi-res-audio-player-mac-ver125/TA-ZH1ES#about

Looks like the only player works in mac is SONY's own Hi-Res Audio Player (1.2.6)....

All the 3rd party players (JRiver, Audirvana+, Tidal etc...) are suffering hanging issues and force to quit. Apparently SONY has some proprietary way/driver to communicate with the amp that Mac user cannot installed to support 3rd party software.

This is really disappointing.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #966 of 5,761
Works with 2016 12" MacBook (USB-C) without issues using Sony Hi-Res Audio app and it sounds fantastic. The app is simple, plays EVERY file type, and best sound quality of any audio app I've used. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #967 of 5,761

Can you please elaborate what you did to resolve the issue?

I returned the amp.
No matter what I tried I coulcn't get it to work on the iMac, not even with all USB devices unplugged except for KB and mouse. In none of the audiuo players I have.
On the MBP it worked with all the same audio players.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #968 of 5,761

I returned the amp.
No matter what I tried I coulcn't get it to work on the iMac, not even with all USB devices unplugged except for KB and mouse. In none of the audiuo players I have.
On the MBP it worked with all the same audio players.

"On the MBP it worked with all the same audio players."

Do you mean it works for audio players other than SONY's hi-res audio player? (i.e. Tidal etc...)

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #969 of 5,761

"On the MBP it worked with all the same audio players."

Do you mean it works for audio players other than SONY's hi-res audio player? (i.e. Tidal etc...)

Sure, it's a dac, it works with any audio player you install on your mac, even straight from the OS for sound you play from a browser or whatever you want to play through it.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #970 of 5,761
Interesting, didn't know Sony had a high resolution app for Mac desktop.

All players do work on my 2013 Macbook Pro (El Capitan 10.11.16).  I use Spotify, Tidal, iTunes, HQPlayer (trial) but primarily Amarra 4.

After all cables and connections are made:
Step 1.  Go to Macbook "sound" setting and click "output" to select DAC 
Step 2.  Go to "Audio Midi Setup" and select your audio device (probably will already be highlight but check anyway).  
Step 3.  When the sound app player is open, I have to make sure the settings are correctly highlighted, pointing the app to the audio device (DAC in this case) and buffer size.  

I don't have my Sony with me right now at work, but the above should work.  There should be no problem running the TA-ZH1ES on a Macbook and I assume it is fine for newer Macs.  I don't know if Step 2 is always required but sometimes with my other DACs I wasn't getting the correct output depth and bitrate so I would go into Audio Midi to fix that.  It's a one time fix, you won't have to continually go back.  What I did find is that if I had multiple sound devices installed with their own software, the previous audio device attached could be highlighted and not the current one. 

I do like Amarra but open to hearing about other players people use.  

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #971 of 5,761
Received mine today - very positive impressions so far.
One thing struck me a bit by surprise though: The color of the unit isn't exactly what one would call black. It's more copper-black. What does Sony describe this color as? There are not more than one variant, or?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #972 of 5,761
Got home and tried some things after Craig mentioned Tidal desktop wasn't working.

1.)  Tidal Desktop Direct to TA-Z does not work.  Mac could see the TA-Z but the TA-Z could not read the files or at least the LCD panel was indicating no streaming to it
EDIT: JUST DOWNLOADED A TIDAL DESKTOP UPDATE.  NOW WORKING CORRECTLY.  

2.)  Tidal Desktop via Singxer SU-1 to TA-Z DOES work (this is how I primarily use the TA-Z) and I could see correct bit rate/depth on TA-Z LCD panel
3.)  Amarra Desktop direct to TA-Z DOES work (no SU-1 needed) and I could see correct bit rate/depth on TA-Z LCD panel
4.)  Spotify Desktop direct to TA-Z DOES work (no SU-1 needed) and I could see correct bit rate/depth on TA-Z LCD panel
5.)  iTunes direct to TA-Z DOES work (no SU-1 needed) and I could see correct bit rate/depth on TA-Z LCD panel
4.)  Amazon Music Desktop direct to TA-Z DOES work (no SU-1 needed) and I could see correct bit rate/depth on TA-Z LCD panel

Indeed, Tidal desktop is not working unless you have a DDC in place and using the coaxial input of TA-Z.    

Some screenshots to see the settings...

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #973 of 5,761
Bad news folks.. I start to see what I believe is a defective LCD screen .. today is day 7 of my purchase.
The first thing i noticed was that the entire lcd was flashing, after a while it stabilised, and i started to notice the top left there is a flashing pixel. :frowning2:

i'm taking no chances with this and reported to my trusted retailer

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/U-z9boshMcY[/VIDEO]

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #974 of 5,761
  Got home and tried some things after Craig mentioned Tidal desktop wasn't working.

1.)  Tidal Desktop Direct to TA-Z does not work.  Mac could see the TA-Z but the TA-Z could not read the files or at least the LCD panel was indicating no streaming to it
EDIT: JUST DOWNLOADED A TIDAL DESKTOP UPDATE.  NOW WORKING CORRECTLY.  

2.)  Tidal Desktop via Singxer SU-1 to TA-Z DOES work (this is how I primarily use the TA-Z) and I could see correct bit rate/depth on TA-Z LCD panel
3.)  Amarra Desktop direct to TA-Z DOES work (no SU-1 needed) and I could see correct bit rate/depth on TA-Z LCD panel
4.)  Spotify Desktop direct to TA-Z DOES work (no SU-1 needed) and I could see correct bit rate/depth on TA-Z LCD panel
5.)  iTunes direct to TA-Z DOES work (no SU-1 needed) and I could see correct bit rate/depth on TA-Z LCD panel
4.)  Amazon Music Desktop direct to TA-Z DOES work (no SU-1 needed) and I could see correct bit rate/depth on TA-Z LCD panel

Indeed, Tidal desktop is not working unless you have a DDC in place and using the coaxial input of TA-Z.    

Some screenshots to see the settings...

Thanks for sharing the info! Glad to know it's working on some Mac.

Can you post your Mac OS version? Also, is TA-Z1RES set "Exclusive Mode" in Tidal?

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #975 of 5,761
2013 Macbook Pro (El Capitan 10.11.16)

Exclusive mode is off.

I have heard that the Tidal update is not working for everyone, but all those other players should work at least on the older Mac OS.

Thanks for sharing the info! Glad to know it's working on some Mac.

Can you post your Mac OS version? Also, is TA-Z1RES set "Exclusive Mode" in Tidal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back