The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Mar 16, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #916 of 5,761
The sale is from Amazon with their full warranty, if applicable, which it is for me.

Has the offer disappeared? All I see are warehouse deals at that price. I was considering this at some point in time, but honestly when they state that "Please note that used products are not covered by the original manufacturer's warranty." and that they in another paragraph mention they don't really want to hear about any issue outside a 30-day window, then I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Even though Amazon is breaking the law by not offering at least 6 months of warranty, but their lawyers are probably better than mine :).

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #917 of 5,761
hi folks, i've just read up to page 26 but i cant help but have to ask some questions LOL..
I've gotten the Z1R and TA just less than 24 hours ago, yet to set up anything. The TA arrived very late last night and had not been unboxed yet. But simply by just playing the Z1R using the DP-X1 (vol at 115 or so), the sound was unbelievable.

My use case is mainly my desktop and will be using the USB. I have a DP-X1 as well.

1. In terms of connection will it be better to use my PC Usb or should i try to connect using the DP-X1 (not sure via what connection yet).

2. Would getting a Isotek Initium Power supply improve even further the sound quality ?

3. I have a Denon CD player with both Coaxial and RCA. having read the 2 pin power connector matter, should i just use Coaxial to be 'safe' ?

TIA !!

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #918 of 5,761
  hi folks, i've just read up to page 26 but i cant help but have to ask some questions LOL..
I've gotten the Z1R and TA just less than 24 hours ago, yet to set up anything. The TA arrived very late last night and had not been unboxed yet. But simply by just playing the Z1R using the DP-X1 (vol at 115 or so), the sound was unbelievable.

My use case is mainly my desktop and will be using the USB. I have a DP-X1 as well.

1. In terms of connection will it be better to use my PC Usb or should i try to connect using the DP-X1 (not sure via what connection yet).

2. Would getting a Isotek Initium Power supply improve even further the sound quality ?

3. I have a Denon CD player with both Coaxial and RCA. having read the 2 pin power connector matter, should i just use Coaxial to be 'safe' ?

TIA !!

1. If you use your PC and with the appropriate software you can play up to native 11.2MHz DSD files and 382kHz PCM wav, whereas DP-X1 only supports output of 5.6MHz DSD and 192kHz PCM maximum via its USB output. If you don't have any files in those formats, the difference probably won't matter much and it would just be a personal preference of which is more convenient. 

2. No comment

3. Technically speaking, if you want to use a "pure digital" conversion chain where all amplification and decoding is done inside the TA amp then use optical connection. If you already like the DAC in your Denon CD player and just want to use the TA as a pure amp, use RCA input. Note if you use the TA as an analogue amp it will convert the analogue input signal into DSD digital, amplify, then convert back to analogue. Some people considers all these extra conversion steps degrading to the music, but if you like the sound then who's to question your choice? Heck why not try it first and see which connection you like better? :wink:

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #919 of 5,761

1. If you use your PC and with the appropriate software you can play up to native 11.2MHz DSD files and 382kHz PCM wav, whereas DP-X1 only supports output of 5.6MHz DSD and 192kHz PCM maximum via its USB output. If you don't have any files in those formats, the difference probably won't matter much and it would just be a personal preference of which is more convenient. 

2. No comment

3. Technically speaking, if you want to use a "pure digital" conversion chain where all amplification and decoding is done inside the TA amp then use optical connection. If you already like the DAC in your Denon CD player and just want to use the TA as a pure amp, use RCA input. Note if you use the TA as an analogue amp it will convert the analogue input signal into DSD digital, amplify, then convert back to analogue. Some people considers all these extra conversion steps degrading to the music, but if you like the sound then who's to question your choice? Heck why not try it first and see which connection you like better? :wink:

Thanks for the reply..

cant wait to try them tonight for myself!

Btw to share my purchase i got them for equivalent of $3.2k USD for both the Z1R and TA. Not sure if it's considered a decent price as it's supposed to be 'discounted'.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #920 of 5,761
Has the offer disappeared? All I see are warehouse deals at that price. I was considering this at some point in time, but honestly when they state that "Please note that used products are not covered by the original manufacturer's warranty."
and that they in another paragraph mention they don't really want to hear about any issue outside a 30-day window, then I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Even though Amazon is breaking the law by not offering at least 6 months of warranty, but their lawyers are probably better than mine :).
Yes it's gone for the brand new ones I'm afraid. Amazon Warehouse don't need to offer a warranty as they sell as used, which is all above board.

In reality Amazon Warehouse items often are brand new, with minor damage to the packaging that's happened in their warehouse or during shipping. I usually buy items with a low likelihood of failure from them.

Saying that I've just bought a Sony RX10m3 from them as the price was so good. I'll take the risk on warranty. It's only 1 year anyway. In all my years of buying way too much stuff I've only ever needed to call on a warranty once, for a failed solid state drive.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #921 of 5,761
  Thanks for the reply..

cant wait to try them tonight for myself!

Btw to share my purchase i got them for equivalent of $3.2k USD for both the Z1R and TA. Not sure if it's considered a decent price as it's supposed to be 'discounted'.

Sounds close to the recommended price - not much cheaper but you certainly didn't get ripped off I would say.

I just got my Z1R yesterday, eventually will get the TA amp, hopefully.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #923 of 5,761
Finally unboxed the TA and starting out with Melodramma by Andrea Bocelli and a quick comparison with the Schiit Stack.

The Schiit sounded much thinner as compared to the TA with DSD and DSEE HX on (and same without)... The experience can be hugely felt... and i'm still at Unbalanced.
Gain currently still at default Low -28DB

Quick qns: For the TA + Z1R setup. You guys go for Low Gain high volume or High Gain Low Volume ?

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #924 of 5,761
Low gain so far for Z1R and HD800.  Low gain is a cleaner sound, less noise, so unless I really need the power, I'll stick to low gain.  I tried the Z1R stock balanced cable.  Really too short for me to use on a  regular basis with the TA-Z1HES, but I tried it anyway.  Balanced was not a significant improvement over unbalanced.  First time I used the cable so not sure if there is some burn-in required with it.      

Quote:
  Finally unboxed the TA and starting out with Melodramma by Andrea Bocelli and a quick comparison with the Schiit Stack.

The Schiit sounded much thinner as compared to the TA with DSD and DSEE HX on (and same without)... The experience can be hugely felt... and i'm still at Unbalanced.
Gain currently still at default Low -28DB

Quick qns: For the TA + Z1R setup. You guys go for Low Gain high volume or High Gain Low Volume ?

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #925 of 5,761
Currently, TA ZH1ES RCA out carrying both signal and ground out as the chassis is not grounded into earth.

Existing chassis power connector is a 2 pin connector instead of 3 pins connector.

We tested it by grounding the TA-ZH1ES chassis into Mac amp which those chassis is grounded into earth pins, it produces a clean sound.

Suggest to change the existing 2 pins power Connector to 3 pins power connector after the warranty is over.

Have spoken to Sony designer team in Camjam Singapore, and they are looking into this issues.

Nice job! It should have been done a while ago :D. But it doesn't mean it is not working correctly. It only carry the floating ground or so....to speak. However, the body is anodized, so less risk of "electrocution"! I am kidding, there are safety fuse inside. If anything funny happen, you are safe. The TA was designed for floating ground, and having a 3rd lead on upgraded socket doesn't hurt either, but that lead can be left alone without wire

Warranty ? It will take about 5 years. But as long as you don't do anything funny. The warranty can not be declined just due to changing the socket. Unless they can prove it that the socket is the cause of failures (if and when it happened). But according to my knowledges. There is no such thing as a socket causing failure....unless....you don't know what you are doing :wink:

Furutech, Pure copper and goldplated

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #928 of 5,761
A quick difference (based on unbal) between using the Z1R on 
1. Schiit Stack (Magni 2/Modi 2 both Uber version)  -> Low Gain 27% on knob
2. TA-ZH1ES  -> Low Gain -27db

Displaimer:
It is just for fun as it's not really an apple to apple comparison due to the astronomical price differences. 
Track played:

a. Hotel California (.dsf)
b. 下一站 Sampling Title  火車 -> a Mandarin MP3

The Schiit is awesome for the price and form factor, but when pit against the Monster TA, the 'flaws' if you may is that the Schiit is powerful but also brighter and generates fatigue more easily.

The TA is warm in the most positive manner possible; it's been  highlighted a thousand times in the thread but you really need to listen to believe how excellent it really is. It is powerful as the Schiit but in a much more controlled manner. The key difference though is that if the stack is 1D, then the TA is 3D, that imaging is 'horrendously' beautiful. The music is never dull and keeps your attention as it brings out how the sound is to be listened in terms of the highs, mids and lows..

The song 下一站  is by a very popular Taiwanese 2 men band, the song starts out with the train moving by the left and for a moment it feels the train physically went pass. All the instruments , drums and bass are so accurate and well separated, clear and fast it was really an enjoyment by itself. i've listened to this track for 3 times LOL, for a mp3 that is upscaled by the DSD remastering feature.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #929 of 5,761
Nice job! It should have been done a while ago
biggrin.gif
. But it doesn't mean it is not working correctly. It only carry the floating ground or so....to speak. However, the body is anodized, so less risk of "electrocution"! I am kidding, there are safety fuse inside. If anything funny happen, you are safe. The TA was designed for floating ground, and having a 3rd lead on upgraded socket doesn't hurt either, but that lead can be left alone without wire

Warranty ? It will take about 5 years. But as long as you don't do anything funny. The warranty can not be declined just due to changing the socket. Unless they can prove it that the socket is the cause of failures (if and when it happened). But according to my knowledges. There is no such thing as a socket causing failure....unless....you don't know what you are doing
wink.gif

How difficult was this to do? Was it expensive? I was interested in this unit but after recently upgrading my power cord at great expense (which is great btw) the two pin arrangement would not work for me anymore. To be honest until I viewed this thread I didn't even realise Sony had used this kind of 2 pin set up.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #930 of 5,761
Nice job! It should have been done a while ago
biggrin.gif
. But it doesn't mean it is not working correctly. It only carry the floating ground or so....to speak. However, the body is anodized, so less risk of "electrocution"! I am kidding, there are safety fuse inside. If anything funny happen, you are safe. The TA was designed for floating ground, and having a 3rd lead on upgraded socket doesn't hurt either, but that lead can be left alone without wire

Warranty ? It will take about 5 years. But as long as you don't do anything funny. The warranty can not be declined just due to changing the socket. Unless they can prove it that the socket is the cause of failures (if and when it happened). But according to my knowledges. There is no such thing as a socket causing failure....unless....you don't know what you are doing
wink.gif

Can you post pics under the hood on the mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back