The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Dec 30, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #227 of 5,766
Have been playing a 24 bit 192KHz album called 'Muddy Waters - folk singer' through the TA ZH1ES, via my ZX2 and listening on my MDR Z1R headphones. Wow. Just wow. The fact that this live album has been so beautifully recorded means the 24 bit 192KH stream of music that you get is, well unlike anything I have heard before. The instrument separation is phenomenal. Now I know what it feels like to be able to easily focus on a single instrument. You can hear the strings being plucked right neat to your ears, you can feel the fingers thrumming, you can hear the singers breath, hear his lowly muttering, hear the feet scrape on the floor. This is something wonderful! I never knew music could be so organic and real.

The ZX2 doesn't play DSD256. Will play this through 'USB Audio Player Pro' on my samsung (have downloaded some DSD256's) and see how they sound. Perhaps DSD256 is overkill.

The amp is a gem. A real gem.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #228 of 5,766
  Have been playing a 24 bit 192KHz album called 'Muddy Waters - folk singer' through the TA ZH1ES, via my ZX2 and listening on my MDR Z1R headphones. Wow. Just wow. The fact that this live album has been so beautifully recorded means the 24 bit 192KH stream of music that you get is, well unlike anything I have heard before. The instrument separation is phenomenal. Now I know what it feels like to be able to easily focus on a single instrument. You can hear the strings being plucked right neat to your ears, you can feel the fingers thrumming, you can hear the singers breath, hear his lowly muttering, hear the feet scrape on the floor. This is something wonderful! I never knew music could be so organic and real.

The ZX2 doesn't play DSD256. Will play this through 'USB Audio Player Pro' on my samsung (have downloaded some DSD256's) and see how they sound. Perhaps DSD256 is overkill.

The amp is a gem. A real gem.

So envious ! 

The U.K. Government has stopped my Disability benefit, ( Which they are doing to many disabled people...shameful !! ) So the present chances of being able to afford one, is not something i'll be able to consider, in the near future....or even distant future !

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #234 of 5,766
In a good way
biggrin.gif
, and I am going to put up my review soon with some good pictures.

If you don't mind I would like to ask if you have compared it to other amps? Any idea if it pairs well with the Utopia. 
I am going to see my Neo430 and might get the Sony for 2 reasons. 
The Neo is heavy and huge and I I want something small. The second reason is tat I like the idea of choosing which headphones output to get the sound from. In this way I can keep all my phones connected and just select which to listen to. 
The ultimate question is will I loose SQ if I just to Sony's realm? 

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #235 of 5,766
  I am interested in this amp, any good reviews yet?
I have been told that it is a warm amp/DAC. 
Not sure if it is warm in the good or bad way. 

I would totally recommended it.  This is a really great warmer sounding amp with very nice rendering of the soundstage w/ very refined presentation.   I find this amp still a little soft sounding in term of macro dynamics but for the price it is quite a bargain.  I anticipate that Sony will see a lot of success with this amp even more so than the signature DAPs and Z1R.  The warmer nature of the amp also make it a great candidate for driving the HD800/800S.  I still need to test the amp with the HEK V2 and will report back.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #236 of 5,766
I would totally recommended it.  This is a really great warmer sounding amp with very nice rendering of the soundstage w/ very refined presentation.   I find this amp still a little soft sounding in term of macro dynamics but for the price it is quite a bargain.  I anticipate that Sony will see a lot of success with this amp even more so than the signature DAPs and Z1R.  The warmer nature of the amp also make it a great candidate for driving the HD800/800S.  I still need to test the amp with the HEK V2 and will report back.
I've tested the HEK v2 and on the Sony amp it is very impressive!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 30, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #238 of 5,766
Since I sold all my other headphones and amplifier, I've been listening to HD800 via HeadAmp Pico Power fed by Sony ZX2. I am really suprised by how musical this set up sounds and I am really enjoying it every day. Since I'm looking for a desktop DAC and an amp, I think the ZH1ES should be a very good choice based on the impressions so far and the sound of Sony ZX2. BTW, I mainly listen to classical.

@purk Can't wait for your impressions of ZH1ES with HD800.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #239 of 5,766
I tested out a few headphones while burning in my amp. Here are some observations (all headphones except Pioneer SE M1 paired in balanced mode)
- no surprise, Z1R pairs with this amp very well
- Audeze LCD XC and LCD3 - ZH1ES drives both headphones quite easily. No loss of detail on LCD3 which is the darker of the two. Nice pairing with LCD XC as well. I find the bright a bit 'tamed'n compared to driving the same headphone from Audio GD NFB-27 which is more neutral 
- Pioneer SE -M1 - very musical combo but I give it to SE M1 more than this amp as the M1 sounds musical of any other amp/DAP I have
- Bigger surprise was pairing with HD800 out of balanced XLR. Actually the amp does a great job taming HD800's bright character. HD800 has never been my favorite to due to brightness and lack of bass but paired with this amp, at least brightness issue gets tamed to some extent
- Biggest disappointment was pairing with TH900. Even this amp couldn't do much to tame its brighter end. My ears are very sensitive to brightness which is why the TH900 isnt my go to headphone despite its solid bass. I was expecting the combo to be better but (purely for me) it turned out to be a disappointment. I guess amp did a better job with HD800 compared to TH900 due to HD800 being the more neutral of the two. Those accounted to TH900 sound signature may find the pairing better than I did

Which brings me to a question. When pairing with TH900, I would like to reduce the highs a bit using equalizer. Since Audirvana+ does not allow this, I am thinking of using my DP-X1 as the source. Questions
- can DP-X1 be commected to this amp using OTG cable?
- if yes, will DP-X1 equalizer setting be effective when audio is out via OTG cable?

Lastly, I tested out NW WM1A and Z few weeks back. Between the two the Z was definitely warmer while A had a colder sound signature. I am very glad that ZH1S is on the warmer end given the apparent variation in Sony's amp/daps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back