The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jul 17, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,127 of 5,761
I personally think that the HD800 is a superior headphones if your amplification is good enough. The HD600/650 just not transparent enough though do scale extremely well with balanced amplification.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #1,128 of 5,761
I would get a used HD800 with the mod to save money.
I have the HD800 on my head right now listening to the TA-ZH1ES. I don't think it needs modded to sound great with this. obviously they could do the mod them self if they wish...

Edit:This song just came on and I had to come back to thread to say this- "Tilted" by Christine and the Queens sounds fantastic on this combo. It just came on in Tidal. I am listening to the playlist "Tidal Masters: Indie excellence vol 1"

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,129 of 5,761
I have the HD800 on my head right now listening to the TA-ZH1ES. I don't think it needs modded to sound great with this. obviously they could do the mod them self if they wish...

Edit:This song just came on and I had to come back to thread to say this- "Tilted" by Christine and the Queens sounds fantastic on this combo. It just came on in Tidal. I am listening to the playlist "Tidal Masters: Indie excellence vol 1"

You don't have to mod it for the Sony amp. However, modding it will make the hd800 a little bit more versatile with other gears.

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #1,132 of 5,761
Sound Signature-wise, how would you say the TA differs from the PHA3?

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #1,135 of 5,761
You can AB them in Wisma Atria, quite similar imo, but TA is much better in everything.
please don't tell me that... my wallet cannot take any more punishment. lol. I am very happy with the PHA3 though. I really hope I don't fall in love with the TA.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #1,136 of 5,761
Sound Signature-wise, how would you say the TA differs from the PHA3?

The TA-ZH1ES is capable of pretty amazing sound. It is smooth, lush, and warm with very textured bass. My criticism of this amp is the overly smooth nature of it. Some time it just feel a tad soft around edge compared to beefier and dedicated amplifier out there. The PHA is pretty much the best one can get from a portable DAC/Amp device as long as you willing to spend the money on better USB cable, but the TA-ZH1ES can compete with many highend desktop out there. The improvement is immediate going from PHA-3 to ZH1ES in every department. Plus the ZH1ES has very high craftsmanship.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #1,137 of 5,761
The TA-ZH1ES is capable of pretty amazing sound. It is smooth, lush, and warm with very textured bass. My criticism of this amp is the overly smooth nature of it. Some time it just feel a tad soft around edge compared to beefier and dedicated amplifier out there. The PHA is pretty much the best one can get from a portable DAC/Amp device as long as you willing to spend the money on better USB cable, but the TA-ZH1ES can compete with many highend desktop out there. The improvement is immediate going from PHA-3 to ZH1ES in every department. Plus the ZH1ES has very high craftsmanship.
Pretty much this, but if you pair the TA with brighter cans, it will sounds quite amazing literally.

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #1,138 of 5,761
Pretty much this, but if you pair the TA with brighter cans, it will sounds quite amazing literally.

I didn't want to say that but it is true.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #1,140 of 5,761
I agree, the whole signature chain in synergy will bring too much of warmth and smoothness. Both TA and 1z will pair better with Utopia...

Just the Z1R and TA-ZH1ES mainly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back