The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Feb 24, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #751 of 5,761
On Z1R, it does bring some ringing and blockage to my ears that isn't too bad, but I unconsciously turned up the volume with the Z1R to around -28db....then after I sold the Z1R and go with Utopia, it took me 2 weeks and some to get back my hearings, now I am listening at -40db around that frame.
Thanks Whitigir. Was that on low or high gain with the Z1Rs? I was usually -40 to - 45db on low gain with Z1R, occasionally up to -35db.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #752 of 5,761
On Z1R, it does bring some ringing and blockage to my ears that isn't too bad, but I unconsciously turned up the volume with the Z1R to around -28db....then after I sold the Z1R and go with Utopia, it took me 2 weeks and some to get back my hearings, now I am listening at -40db around that frame...high gain, balanced out.

It wasn't that I heard the ringing with Z1R though, just my ears that got those after spending sometimes with the Z1R. The only thing I could criticize the Z1R was the warmth and extra sub-bass with some harsh details around upper mid and lower treble spectrum

I'm hearing the same thing actually. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #753 of 5,761
Picked up TA-ZH1ES yesterday. 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #754 of 5,761
Congrats, I have one coming next week.

I need to go through this thread in more detail, but would most people agree the best source will be a Sony Walkman?  If one doesn't own a Walkman then coaxial better than USB?

I'm in no rush for more purchases so I think I'll be using a computer as the transport of my digital files or a CD transport.

I currently use the Intona USB isolator and a Singxer SU-1 to convert USB to coaxial or I2S outputs.  Anybody tried to improve USB connection via the same efforts?  Guess I'll try it myself, but curious as to whether others have experimented.  I also have an iFi iUSB3.0 + Gemini cable to try out.   

Quote:
  Picked up TA-ZH1ES yesterday. 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #755 of 5,761

The best source would be a mac running Tidal and with MQA tracks or Lossless Hifi tracks. (or 24/192 files if that is really your thing. Or DSD256 files....etc etc). Definitely not a DAP. 

At least, that's how I'm planning on using mine :) One more day... 

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #756 of 5,761

The best source would be a mac running Tidal and with MQA tracks or Lossless Hifi tracks. (or 24/192 files if that is really your thing. Or DSD256 files....etc etc). Definitely not a DAP. 

At least, that's how I'm planning on using mine :) One more day... 

Curious why people think this.

I am planning on using an iPhone7 running Tidal and running a UpnP app which accesses my Rips from a downstairs computer.

The iPhone7 lightning port outputs a pure digital signal which can be connected to either the front or back USB port on the TA (using Apples CCK dongle for certification).

Most of my files are straight 16/44 Rips so the iPhone will output the pure digital FLAC's

So how would a Mac running Tidal be different from an iPhone running Tidal?

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #757 of 5,761
How does the Z1R do running balanced from the TA as compared to SE from a Mojo/iPhone?  How much of an improvement - significant?  a little?

Still on the fence about sending my Z1R back.  I am definitely keeping the Utopia - I was going to keep the Z1R to play with (Amazon UK deal).  I am just afraid it will sit and gather dust while the Utopia gets all the action.

Source will be an iPhone running into a TA which will be ordered next week

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #758 of 5,761

I am planning on using an iPhone7 running Tidal and running a UpnP app which accesses my Rips from a downstairs computer.

The iPhone7 lightning port outputs a pure digital signal which can be connected to either the front or back USB port on the TA (using Apples CCK dongle for certification).

Most of my files are straight 16/44 Rips so the iPhone will output the pure digital FLAC's

Well, my experience with this is based on my experience with the iphone, the PHA-3 and the Mac and the PHA-3.

First, Tidal iphone app doesn't seem to support MQA at all. So there's no MQA tidal stuff that definately sounds better than the otherwise great Hi-fi stuff. When you go into settings there's no mention of Hifi/ Master output and there's no Masters section, at least that I could find. 

The other reason is that iphone7 never can light up the Hi-Fs light on the PHA-3. When connected to the mac I upsample everything by going to the Audio Midi settings and setting it to 32/192 or 32/384. It's obvious to me that this sounds better, with the Hi-Fs light lit up on any type of source file, 16 bit or not than leaving it in the normal mode or the output via phone. I don't know why it does... All that i know is that definately, it's better this way. 

Since I have the same music, same app to compare with, I can see.. yes, upsampling is making this sound better. So... That's what I plan on doing with the ZH1ES, since it's a desktop unit that's going to be sitting next to my computer anyway. 

When I get the unit tomorrow, I'll do side by side comparisons involving a Mac Mini 2011 and an iphone 7. Then I'll see if it's the same as my experience with PHA-3 and will report back my findings. Not everyone is going to agree, this is Head-fi. But I've long since learned to trust my own judgement. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #759 of 5,761
How does the Z1R do running balanced from the TA as compared to SE from a Mojo/iPhone?  How much of an improvement - significant?  a little?

Still on the fence about sending my Z1R back.  I am definitely keeping the Utopia - I was going to keep the Z1R to play with (Amazon UK deal).  I am just afraid it will sit and gather dust while the Utopia gets all the action.

Source will be an iPhone running into a TA which will be ordered next week

TA is a significant improvements away from WM1Z already, not sure how Mojo would be for your tastes, but for mine, I did not like the Mojo soundstage, so I never considered it to be that good. IMO, even Zx2 running TRRS soundstage was better than Mojo, the only thing Mojo did well was the power delivery. When talking about Power delivery, you can say that TA offers plenty of it :)

Do mind that you are comparing orange to Apple, a mid-tier portable to a high-end desktop class

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #760 of 5,761
Can't speak to THZ1ES as I'm about 2 days away from getting mine, but my experience with Chord Mojo, I always felt that the sound from Macbook to Mojo via USB was better than iPhone/iPad to Mojo via Lightning to USB.  Don't recall if I tried to hear differences using Tidal, but I did try Spotify on Mac to Mojo vs Spotify on iPhone to Mojo.  iPhone as a source always sounded "relatively" more flat, less dynamic when compared to other sources.  Just my experience with FLAC files and "highest/best" quality Spotify files.  No upsampling.  Was not terrible using iPhone as a source, just seemed to me that Coaxial >> USB (Macbook) > USB-Lightning (iPhone).  I had that "aha" moment when I first tried the coaxial input of the Mojo.  I suspect that will be the case with the Sony, but maybe they've done their research on USB implementation and one will not need fancy cleaners or a DDC for coaxial input.  I will be trying all inputs of the THZ1ES and the best sounding one will be the one I will use for my desktop setup at home.  Looking forward to hearing the TA-ZH1ES.        

Quote:

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #761 of 5,761
I got my TA-ZH1ES today, currently listening to it. 

I got over the initial setup / adjustment reaction which can never be trusted and let my ears settle in on some new favorite tracks without being over analytical. 

Some observations: 

1.) I already knew from the PHA-3 I'd be using DSEE HX. And I'm keeping it here too - nice to see the bit/sample rate restrictions are gone and the 4 additional modes. I'll be using female vocal a lot I'm sure. 
2.) I'm a fan of the DSD remastering engine. Weirdly, now it's preferable almost to get PCM in and upsample it because on straight DSD connections you can't use DSEE HX or the remastering, which I guess makes sense.
3.) I'm definitely getting the "I hear something new in all my tracks / headphones again" vibe
4.) I think I prefer the Phase Linearizer off, but too early to tell. 
5.) For the person who asked me about how the LCD2.2 pre-fazor sounds - It sounds fantastic. Running in balanced mode. Best these pair of cans have sounded. 
6.) First impressions are the amp won't go as high as I'd prefer - I kind of expected this from a sony digital amp. But it seems input source dependent as well... all in all - there's plenty of headroom for safe listening levels. I'm at around -14db now. 
7.) I had some problems with Tidal. It crashed and wouldn't play through the amp. If you run into this, unplugging and replugging the USB corrects the stuck audio stream it leaves. I got it to play a track if I started iTunes first but then it would hang. I'm not sure if this is just my machine or what - probably it is. Currently listening to tidal via Audirvana Plus 2, although I'm frozen out of MQA tracks until I can solve this. I haven't tried my iPhone yet because I don't have the camera kit. I could try that. I could also try one of the 2 other macs I have or Windows. 
8.) Gorgeous !!!

That's it for now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back