The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #10,517 of 11,341
i think there is a problem when z1r owners attack and attempt to discredit a reviewer for writing a critical review about it. if tyll were to allow considerations such as the affect that his reviews might have on the prospective sales of a headphone to influence what he writes, then his credibility as a reviewer would be compromised and that would be doing consumers a disservice imo.

and to favour a set of headphone measurements because they differ from tyll's and look more flattering of the z1r is misguided. objective measurements should be used to take the subjective bias out of the argument rather than misused to support it.
But that's why lab equipment is calibrated and certified so people can recreate experiments no matter where

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #10,520 of 11,341
i think there is a problem when z1r owners attack and attempt to discredit a reviewer for writing a critical review about it. if tyll were to allow considerations such as the affect that his reviews might have on the prospective sales of a headphone to influence what he writes, then his credibility as a reviewer would be compromised and that would be doing consumers a disservice imo.

and to favour a set of headphone measurements because they differ from tyll's and look more flattering of the z1r is misguided. objective measurements should be used to take the subjective bias out of the argument rather than misused to support it.

The one discredit here is to mockingly disparage a $2300 pair of headphones and provocatively call it no better than a $120 unit. How credible is that? And yes, I welcome all measurements. Not just Tyll's.

Jun 17, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #10,521 of 11,341
The one discredit here is to mockingly disparage a $2300 pair of headphones and provocatively call it no better than a $120 unit. How credible is that? And yes, I welcome all measurements. Not just Tyll's.

you're exaggerating. tyll didn't "mockingly disparage" the z1r in the review that i read and nor did he say that it was "no better than a $120 unit". he did prefer to listen to the ath-m50x, however. and you didn't welcome his k812 measurements or the critical commentary about them in the thread as I recall.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #10,522 of 11,341
Good to see the collaboration between Tyll and Jude- I am sure we will get to the bottom of this measurements issue. Good proper scientific method lol- it is a win win - I am very curious for the results- is it the Headphones or is it the measuring techniques or equipment? Or both

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #10,527 of 11,341
I just received my second pair of Z1R. Thank you, Jason of TSAV. I sold my previous pair and have missed them ever since.

I listened to bits and pieces of the 53 CD Mercury Living Presence Box Set 3 and to bits and pieces of the 60 CD Vivarte Vol. 2 box set.

The "dark" Sony Z1R makes these bright classical CDs listenable and pleasurable. The (much "better" measuring) HD800S makes them painful and useless.

You know what you can do with your measurements.

Jun 17, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #10,529 of 11,341
Treeko, thank you.

Jun 17, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #10,530 of 11,341
I just received my second pair of Z1R. Thank you, Jason of TSAV. I sold my previous pair and have missed them ever since.

I listened to bits and pieces of the 53 CD Mercury Living Presence Box Set 3 and to bits and pieces of the 60 CD Vivarte Vol. 2 box set.

The "dark" Sony Z1R makes these bright classical CDs listenable and pleasurable. The (much "better" measuring) HD800S makes them painful and useless.

You know what you can do with your measurements.

yes, continue reading them with interest and enjoying headphones :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back