The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #9,886 of 11,341
Utopia's are my main also, but the Z1R is so relaxing and is completely different. I for one will be keeping the Z1R and enjoying them for what they are- different than other flagships.

Personally they are my favourite open-backed and closed-back dynamic headphones. :) Between the two, it can be all you really need.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #9,887 of 11,341
So I have these, and they are currently my third favorite headphone, after the Utopia and the HE1000 V2. I think they're world's better than the other TOTL closed back headphones on the market, including the Eikon and the Ether Flow C. But then again, they're my ears and yours might be different from mine. Just like yours might be different from Tyll's. Many other reviewers have given this set of cans a huge endorsement as the best closed backed headphones on the market (What Hi-Fi, Steve Guttenberg/Audiophiliac, and many others).

I've always wondered how these cans could be so polarizing and I think I know of at least one reason. One of the other things I have noticed is that they are incredibly source sensitive. They sound better out of a leaner amplifier with a low output impedance. When paired with an OTL tube amplifier or something with a higher output impedance, the bass gets muddy and the vocals seem to disappear. But when you pair them with the DAVE or the WA8, they are absolute magic.

I am surprised that Tyll didn't talk about his source at all--almost seems like he mailed in this review because he really didn't go into detail at all about this or the music he listened to.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #9,888 of 11,341
Headphones are like food. A meal that tastes bad to someone may taste great to others. I love the Z1R which why I purchased them. I cannot stand the Utopia, they are so NOT musical to my ears. You have to go listen for yourself so do not dismiss these based on one persons subjective opinion.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #9,889 of 11,341
i don't know what you mean by 'a proper bollocking'...other reviewers, as i noted, think it's pretty damned good.
sound and vision review: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-mdr-z1r-headphones-review
stereophile: https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-16-sony-audioquest-headphones
what hifi: https://www.whathifi.com/sony/mdr-z1r/review

All of these reviews you have are from people who don't really review headphones seriously. Just because they have a fancy banner on their website, don't mean they know what they're talking about.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #9,890 of 11,341
I also disagree with Tyll's review. I think the Z1R is an excellent choice for a closed headphone, it is very source and amp dependent and switching to the Kimber cable makes a lot of difference. However they are quite colored and certainly not to everybody's liking.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #9,891 of 11,341
So I have these, and they are currently my third favorite headphone, after the Utopia and the HE1000 V2. I think they're world's better than the other TOTL closed back headphones on the market, including the Eikon and the Ether Flow C. But then again, they're my ears and yours might be different from mine. Just like yours might be different from Tyll's. Many other reviewers have given this set of cans a huge endorsement as the best closed backed headphones on the market (What Hi-Fi, Steve Guttenberg/Audiophiliac, and many others).

I've always wondered how these cans could be so polarizing and I think I know of at least one reason. One of the other things I have noticed is that they are incredibly source sensitive. They sound better out of a leaner amplifier with a low output impedance. When paired with an OTL tube amplifier or something with a higher output impedance, the bass gets muddy and the vocals seem to disappear. But when you pair them with the DAVE or the WA8, they are absolute magic.

I am surprised that Tyll didn't talk about his source at all--almost seems like he mailed in this review because he really didn't go into detail at all about this or the music he listened to.

he doesn't usually specify the source gear that he uses for his reviews, so nothing out of the ordinary there. i think that the moon neo 430had might be his go to reference, but he's been known to use a variety of sources.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #9,892 of 11,341
All of these reviews you have are from people who don't really review headphones seriously. Just because they have a fancy banner on their website, don't mean they know what they're talking about.
that's a pretty bold statement...i have no idea what you mean by that...define 'seriously'? doubt that anyone would be allowed to write for stereophile if they didn't have street cred...or that any of them would be allowed to write professionally without having substance. do you believe Ty is the only 'credible' or 'serious' headphone reviewer?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #9,893 of 11,341
i have no idea what you mean by that...define 'seriously'? doubt that anyone would be allowed to write for stereophile if they didn't have street cred.
Maybe those reviewers are great at writing and speaking well in front of the camera. Wonder how much they make cause one of the most well known reviewer had a front tooth pulled out and not replaced.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #9,894 of 11,341
Maybe those reviewers are great at writing and speaking well in front of the camera. Wonder how much they make cause one of the most well known reviewer had a front tooth pulled out and not replaced.
well if they don't make much then perhaps it shows even more dedication ...that guy from stereophile notes he listens to music thru various cans for 'at least 3 hrs a day'

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #9,895 of 11,341
Tyll can pull a mr speakers again and put it up suprisingly on the wall fame (on a second chance listen (remember that?)

Im suprised about some of his observstions it makes me wonder if he possibly recieved a defective unit.

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #9,896 of 11,341
well if they don't make much then perhaps it shows even more dedication ...that guy from stereophile notes he listens to music thru various cans for 'at least 3 hrs a day'
True they enjoy being able to chat and help people buy things. Maybe in the real world they are quiet and stay alone. Great they found a hobby they can be with other like minded people.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #9,898 of 11,341
Tyll can pull a mr speakers again and put it up suprisingly on the wall fame (on a second chance listen (remember that?)

Im suprised about some of his observstions it makes me wonder if he possibly recieved a defective unit.

i think that's unlikely.

i wasn't surprised by his impressions as they're not dissimilar to my own. that said, i read the review and didn't watch the video. maybe the video version comes off as harsher. i also suspect that i might have liked the z1r's sound signature more than tyll did.

leaving his subjective impressions aside, the objective measurements show a recessed midrange, a sharp treble peak at 10,000 kHz and total harmonic distortion that might indicate a lack of driver of control as tyll suggested.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #9,899 of 11,341
I always love how when Tyll does a review people seem to loose it if it isn't agreeable to their opinion. People need to chill.

The world would be a pretty boring place if everyone liked the same things.

(Coming from someone who owns and loves the Z1R and uses them more than the Ether Flows, Open that I also own)

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #9,900 of 11,341
Tyll, at some point, mentioned that his weekly phone calls with his superiors at parent Stereophile and/or its online divisions are seldom enjoyable. Maybe his Z1R review yesterday, which came so close to Herb Reichert's luminous Stereophile review of the Z1R, was Tyll's passive-aggressive response to the print people?

One of them, Tyll or Reichert, has to be wrong and/or deaf. Or else - they are both right, the Z1R are great for music-lovers like Reichert and not for objectivists?

As far as his opinion of the Z1R goes, if Tyll had his way, all headphones would fit a certain pattern. End of hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back