The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #9,406 of 11,341
Points taken, although:

1) The gentleman's locale was listed as England
2) Writers (native or not) of a language should strive for correctness for the benefit of their readers. My intent wasn't to criticize, but to inform.
3) What kind of auto-correct software "corrects" to could of?

I won't interject any more of these types of posts into the thread, but certain usages just grate like nails on a chalkboard. Hence my original post.

Typing on smartphone keybords can produce some very "interesting" words

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #9,407 of 11,341
Grammar Nazi detected :joy:...not sure if we are here to discuss our audio experience or to use this as a platform to show one's language superiority and start discussing and pointing out spelling errors and/or grammatical usage?

Lets encourage non-native English speakers (like me) to participate and share our individual audio experience should we without being made fun of?

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #9,410 of 11,341
And then I missed another auto-incorrect. Can't seem to stay on top of it...

Rest assured, we are taking notice of your lapses. Better step up your game mate.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #9,411 of 11,341
Deleted, don't want to seem like I'm ripping on the guy.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #9,414 of 11,341
Apr 22, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #9,415 of 11,341
With regards to the Kimber cable - many who have heard it do not like it.

Please be aware however that the Sony branded Kimber cable made specifically for this headphone is a COMPLETELY different animal compared to the Kimber Axios cable.  
As such one needs to be careful and not brand "Kimber" cables as bad for this headphone.

The Sony Kimber was built to a price - just as an Elear is built to one price and the Utopia to another.  Correct me if I am wrong however the Sony branded Kimber is not even made by them in the US - it is made in China?
Sony Kimber - around $250-$300 - China?   *not saying that made in China is bad*
Kimber Axios - $800 - made in USA

Different animals

I remember TSAV Jason who sells both saying the Sony KK was an improvement and the Axios even more so

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #9,417 of 11,341
I remember TSAV Jason who sells both saying the Sony KK was an improvement and the Axios even more so
and there are 3 different variations of Axios viz. Copper, copper & silver {hybrid}, and pure silver. Website shows only the pricing of copper cable.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #9,418 of 11,341
Well, I like the Sony-Kimber cable a lot since it adds liquidity and a silky quality to the mids and vocals in particular (I own one). It also adds some welcome bloom and plumpness to images.
I'd be curious about the Axios cable, but it's a lot of money and I haven't read much at all here about how it sounds. 
One person I think said it was great, but that's the only report I can recall seeing. Any more impressions would be great. Thanks.

As to the earlier questions, I feel the Z1R is a league above the TH900, which I sold after a few years of ownership. The TH900 was nice but would sometimes go overboard with pounding upper bass or whistling highs.
There was just something unnerving and fatiguing about the sound of the Fostex, like it would hit too hard without warning and lose control.
And the mids and vocals did not have the fine texture of the Z1R.

If you like the Z1R and want another to add to your headphone menagerie, I suggest the Hifiman HE1000v2.
It has more definition and speed than the Sony, and is more airy, but is just about (almost) as non-fatiguing and is also tolerant of lesser recordings like the Sony. 
But the Hifiman does not have that profound speaker-like punch and spaciousness of the Sony. The Z1R seems to create its own big thrilling environment like no other headphone.

The HEKv2 and the Z1R are my current favorites and I own both.

('never heard a Utopia, Elear, Pioneer SEM1, or any ZMF headphone, just for the record.)

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #9,419 of 11,341
Grammar Nazi detected :joy:...not sure if we are here to discuss our audio experience or to use this as a platform to show one's language superiority and start discussing and pointing out spelling errors and/or grammatical usage?

Lets encourage non-native English speakers (like me) to participate and share our individual audio experience should we without being made fun of?

my lack of capitalisation must be almost unbearable for him
evil_smiley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back