The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #8,866 of 11,341
The answer is yes and you can use your existing Z7 cables if you own one. However, your cable need not have to have the screw-on mechanism. Any 3.5 clamps perfectly. I personally don't like this screw-on design because if you accidentally trip on the wires, you may end up tearing up your cans' input socket.

the question would be why can't one be more careful to retrieve the cable before stepping away from a position?
The design of the screw caps exists for the sole reason for people who are careful with their $2.5k investment.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #8,868 of 11,341
the question would be why can't one be more careful to retrieve the cable before stepping away from a position?
The design of the screw caps exists for the sole reason for people who are careful with their $2.5k investment.

Accidents happen.. one can't be too careful

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #8,870 of 11,341
Then should designs revolve around people who are careful and want the best secured connections to their z1r or for careless people?

There are options out for both as each of therm are paying the same amount of money. Careful people are not paying more for a "secure" connection lol
Whatever design keeps you happy. no-screw mechanism is no slouch, the fit is secure and an unwanted bump won't damage your cans.

PS: I have no-screw on my Z7 and a screw on my Z1R.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #8,871 of 11,341
The Mojo stack has a bit more impact with its power output delivery while the WM1Z is a little more laid back, but the difference honestly is not that great in non-critical listening conditions, as such I reach for my WM1Z more because I keep my music library on that device up to date more than the Mojo stack which uses the AK70 as transport.

I've listened to the A and Z a few times at the shops but not driving the Z1R. I agree with the general consensus that the Z is a touch warmer than the A, so it really depends on where you want to take the sound, in fact some may prefer to make the Z1R less warm in which case the A maybe the better choice.

I'm using the stock cables at them moment, not sure I will get new cables as cables are general very low on my priority list, I'm saving up for the TA amp first as I don't have desktop balance amp at the moment.

Jaben HK as a set of Z1R, KK sony cable and TA amp on demo, go check it out before you buy it :)
I prefer the KK sony cable over the stock one

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #8,872 of 11,341
There are options out for both as each of therm are paying the same amount of money. Careful people are not paying more for a "secure" connection lol
Whatever design keeps you happy. no-screw mechanism is no slouch, the fit is secure and an unwanted bump won't damage your cans.

PS: I have no-screw on my Z7 and a screw on my Z1R.

Careful users are happy with the design.otoh, users who aren't are using the excuse of 'accidents do happen' to justify themselves being careless.
We all paid the same price for a secured connection, it's up to the individual to use it or not.
Your initial post just rubs me the wrong way. That's all

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #8,873 of 11,341
Careful users are happy with the design.otoh, users who aren't are using the excuse of 'accidents do happen' to justify themselves being careless.
This is a forum where we discuss our likes and dislikes, our general views on a product. My view doesn't have to be in sync with yours. I am sorry that my post rubbed you the wrong way but you should know better that this is not the place to take things personally. Funny how you're calling me careless. You don't even know me dude!!! But anyways, I am gonna sleep now. You be happy with your screw-on cable.

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #8,874 of 11,341
This is a forum where we discuss our likes and dislikes, our general views on a product. My view doesn't have to be in sync with yours. I am sorry that my post rubbed you the wrong way but you should know better that this is not the place to take things personally. Funny how you're calling me careless. You don't even know me dude!!! But anyways, I am gonna sleep now. You be happy with your screw-on cable.

Good night. Though I do not recall stating that "asquare is a careless person" anywhere in my post which are referring to the careless users in general.
But whatever floats your boat. Sweet dreams

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #8,875 of 11,341
Jaben HK as a set of Z1R, KK sony cable and TA amp on demo, go check it out before you buy it
smily_headphones1.gif

I prefer the KK sony cable over the stock one

I've already tested the combo many times at different places.
Also best place to test the Signature Series in HK is the Sony Store at Causeway Bay as they have a dedicated room for it complete with a comfy sofa. There's also another full set out in the open next to the cameras but obviously not as comfy and less privacy. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #8,876 of 11,341
The Mojo stack has a bit more impact with its power output delivery while the WM1Z is a little more laid back, but the difference honestly is not that great in non-critical listening conditions, as such I reach for my WM1Z more because I keep my music library on that device up to date more than the Mojo stack which uses the AK70 as transport.

I've listened to the A and Z a few times at the shops but not driving the Z1R. I agree with the general consensus that the Z is a touch warmer than the A, so it really depends on where you want to take the sound, in fact some may prefer to make the Z1R less warm in which case the A maybe the better choice.

I'm using the stock cables at them moment, not sure I will get new cables as cables are general very low on my priority list, I'm saving up for the TA amp first as I don't have desktop balance amp at the moment.

Thank you for that analysis. I already have a Mojo and am a bit surprised/happy by your comparison with the 1Z. While I would also prefer a 1 box solution vs. a stacked Mojo/iPhone the two things which always annoyed me with the Sony players were the lack of Tidal and the ability to stream my ripped collection. You seem to prefer the Mojo to the Z. Good for me then and my Mojo - and I guess even better if I decide to upgrade my Mojo to Hugo2!

Rather amazing that the $500 Mojo equals and/or exceeds the $3000 1Z

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #8,877 of 11,341
Thank you for that analysis. I already have a Mojo and am a bit surprised/happy by your comparison with the 1Z. While I would also prefer a 1 box solution vs. a stacked Mojo/iPhone the two things which always annoyed me with the Sony players were the lack of Tidal and the ability to stream my ripped collection. You seem to prefer the Mojo to the Z. Good for me then and my Mojo - and I guess even better if I decide to upgrade my Mojo to Hugo2!

Rather amazing that the $500 Mojo equals and/or exceeds the $3000 1Z

The Mojo has a power output advantage over the 1Z and that's a fact which no one could deny, but other than that it also has no software, no memory, no balanced output, no nothing basically, it's just a black box - a very competent one - but that's also it's disadvantage, without a digital transport it's function-less. Whereas the value of the 1Z doesn't just lie in the sound, but it's an extremely well rounded 1 box solution and that's where the money is going and one must be aware of that proposition. The software on the 1Z is excellent (much better than most skinned Android DAPs), it has gobs of onboard memory, it has loads of DSP effects to tweak, and due to its digital amp architecture it also doesn't heat up and has battery life measured in days and not single digit hours - if I listen to my 1Z and forgot to switch it off at night, I can actually be confident that I still have plenty of juices left for my daily commute unlike most other DAPs.  All these features has as much if not more so value to me than just SQ, and taken as a whole the 1Z is worth more than the sum of its parts. When you are buying you must ask yourself this question - are all these features *on top* of the SQ worth the extra money?  If you don't do that and just make a direct price comparison, then it is not a fair comparison. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #8,878 of 11,341
A reasonable analysis and explanation for your personal usage scenario.

In my case I use my Utopias in my dedicated 2 channel room when I don't want to listen to my speakers. I have a Simaudio Moon 430HA headphone amp connected to my Naim rig. Sources are TOTL - Linn - LP12 vinyl and Klimax DS for digital.

The Mojo - or any DAP I would consider (1Z or 1A) - is not used for travel or commuting. It will simply be used when I want to be in another room of the house together with my wife - tv room or bedroom. That is where a closed headphone comes into the equation (Z1R as Utopias leak) and the need for either a Mojo/Hugo type solution or a one box 1Z/1A.

I like to use that "listening time" to sample new music - that is where the ability to use Tidal is convenient.

With that said I do want an ergonomically friendly solution when in the tv room or in bed - the mess of cables is annoying. That is where a one box Sony DAP is appealing. I guess I could also look at a Poly for the Mojo. I could also get rid of the Mojo and get Hugo2 from a strictly sound quality perspective.

If anything I am coming to the conclusion, obviously based on reading rather than actual demo, that a Z might be a waste of money FOR MY scenario. A Z1R + WM1A costs the same as just the 1Z.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #8,879 of 11,341

In my case I use my Utopias in my dedicated 2 channel room when I don't want to listen to my speakers. I have a Simaudio Moon 430HA headphone amp connected to my Naim rig. Sources are TOTL - Linn - LP12 vinyl and Klimax DS for digital.

The Mojo - or any DAP I would consider (1Z or 1A) - is not used for travel or commuting. It will simply be used when I want to be in another room of the house together with my wife - tv room or bedroom. That is where a closed headphone comes into the equation (Z1R as Utopias leak) and the need for either a Mojo/Hugo type solution or a one box 1Z/1A.

I like to use that "listening time" to sample new music - that is where the ability to use Tidal is convenient.

With that said I do want an ergonomically friendly solution when in the tv room or in bed - the mess of cables is annoying. That is where a one box Sony DAP is appealing. I guess I could also look at a Poly for the Mojo. I could also get rid of the Mojo and get Hugo2 from a strictly sound quality perspective.

If anything I am coming to the conclusion, obviously based on reading rather than actual demo, that a Z might be a waste of money FOR MY scenario. A Z1R + WM1A costs the same as just the 1Z.

For your scenario you could also look at the Sony ZX2

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #8,880 of 11,341

Great stuff, once you laid out your usage then the discussion can move in much more productive ways. I always believe that when you reach summit-fi level equipment 90% of the time the factors which tips the final purchasing decisions for a complete rig are reasons which are actually *outside* of sound quality, yet it is nearly always overlooked and thus leading to bad experiences. 

If you are building a stationary rig but want access to streaming services, would you happen to have a spare Android/iOs phone/tablet lying around in the house?  If you do I think it would be a no brainer to get something like a Mojo/Hugo or even Sony's own portable PHA-2A DAC/amp with 4.4mm balanced output to pair with the Z1R and just use a spare phone as a digital transport with all the necessary computer-related features like local as well as internet streaming, if it's a stationary rig I don't think it's worth buying a dedicated DAP only to use it as a digital transport when money could be better spent elsewhere. 

For your scenario you could also look at the Sony ZX2

Unfortunately the ZX2 will be under-powered to drive the Z1R, you'll still be looking at an amp for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back