The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #8,536 of 11,341
  Here is what I use - $17 from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VI72SDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Two questions/comments for you. It looks like the pads are going to get compressed over time, and maybe unevenly at that. Do you feel there is strain on the cup connectors based on the position the wires are in due to the stand?

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #8,537 of 11,341
  Two questions/comments for you. It looks like the pads are going to get compressed over time, and maybe unevenly at that. Do you feel there is strain on the cup connectors based on the position the wires are in due to the stand?

First question - There is very little down-pressure on the top pad with this stand. If you use the headphones as often as I do (and most owners will) it won't spend an extended time in any one position due to usage. Also, I'm using a Kimber Kable which has longer barrels than the Sony stock cable.

Second -This stand is tall enough that there is little if any pressure on the connectors. I have an acryllic stand made by Oppo that I can't use with the Sonys because it is two inches shorter and does put pressure on the Sony connections as well as those of the Mr. Speakers Ether Flows.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #8,538 of 11,341
Mar 21, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #8,540 of 11,341
As WM1Z and WM1A has the same power output it should be the same.

EDIT: Just to elaborate, if you want to know whether the WM1 walkmans will drive the Z1R loud enough - the answer is YES via balance, it will go loud enough to make them act like small speakers if you put the Z1R on the table at 3/4 volume output on high gain.  Whether you like that sound though is going to be personal and subjective.

The 1A drives the Z1R just fine through balanced.
However I found that it only reaches 70-75% of its potential compared to being driven from a proper amp in terms of dynamics, bass control, openness etc

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #8,542 of 11,341
Just ordered this wax, thinking of keeping the Z1R pads in good shape.
Anyone knows if it might be a bad idea to use it?

It's Amazon Germany but has info in English..

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B019QWSGGW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490138333&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=DELARA+Lederbalsam+mit+Bienenwachs%2C+farblos+-+Made+in+Germany&dpPl=1&dpID=41FZ3HDkoyL&ref=plSrch#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1490138361840

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #8,543 of 11,341

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B019QWSGGW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490138333&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=DELARA+Lederbalsam+mit+Bienenwachs%2C+farblos+-+Made+in+Germany&dpPl=1&dpID=41FZ3HDkoyL&ref=plSrch#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1490138361840

Wish I knew sorry mate. I only know that the Clapham's Leather Dressing available here (and internationally) is considered museum grade in terms of use for conservation and protection. I know I am using some personally. Good luck with whatever you select and let us know how it works out.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #8,544 of 11,341
ok guys...need your help, kindly

i just got some Focal Alpha 50 near field monitors i'm using for my desktop gig (on stands)
Leave it to the French to kick the sound of desktop/computer speakers up a notch
https://www.cnet.com/news/leave-it-to-the-french-to-kick-the-sound-of-desktopcomputer-speakers-up-a-notch/

Just loving that live sound out in front of me from speakers once again
consequently i am also considering going higher to get the more refined CMS65 (used US 1300 pair mint condition)
and yet i'm also itching to try these sonys.......but i know both speakers and cans are 2 diff sound sigs.

i do have the senn 650s and flc 8s iems ...also shortly getting in the Aurisonics 1-plus iems, too.

so to those who have speakers and a nice rig and also these sony z1rs, is it worth it going for both?
(of course i'm sure it is...but ..)
i also want to upgrade to the hugo2 dac, then look at a nice 2.1 for the living room.

decisions, decisions....but also a limited budget....guess there is little vacation for me this yr: staycation....luckily i'm on the west coast.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #8,545 of 11,341
To me headphones, earphones and speakers all fill a different purpose with nearly no overlap in use cases, so it's always worth having/investing in all of them.

The only difference is how much money I assign to each portion - personally I do that by carefully thinking how much usage I have for each, I tend to use earphones the most due to commuting so I put the most money there, headphones a little less and speakers the least, that's how I ended up with the gear I have now (I also have a pair of Focal XS Book speakers and a Sony surround sound home theatre setup, and of course they are nowhere close to the money I spend on my earphones). 

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #8,546 of 11,341

Not used them so I'll speak about them in general as I deal with leather (for car interiors) daily

I would advise AGAINST applying any wax products on leather, for 2 reason

1. Leather is a natural skin just like ours, and it need to breathe to maintain its suppleness. Applying wax will clogged up its pores preventing it from breathing, and hence might lead to premature cracking

2. Wax, like most oils tends to dry over time and hence will lead to a sticky surface. Sticky surface will gather dust and cause bacteria build up over time and again will lead to cracking and/or hardening of the leather.

Unless these wax are applied regularly and continuosly, I would prefer a lotion type of product.

Do note that these are just my thought, experience and preference as a leather enthusiast and as someone who have to deal with all kind if leather over a couple of decades, but this is by no mean definitive. Would love to listen to other leather enthusiast about this matter as well :sweat_smile:

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #8,547 of 11,341
I was in the car leather seats industry in the past.
I have seen car leather seats surfaces cracked and dirt trapped in those gaps.
Climate plays a large factor as the leather goes through thermal changes under the hot and humid climate of equatorial zone.
As long as the leather ear cups are not exposed to direct sunlight and the leather surface is clean and dry (no facial oil) and it is allowed to 'breathe' in the shade, it should be fine.
But places that have 4 seasons, then leather care should be used. I'm sure for those that have visited cold climates will know that the dry climate dries up your human skin and you use moisturizer to counter that. Leather will dry up and becomes hard if exposed to the dry air (pls read about dried children mummies found). Unless one stores their z1r in the wine cellar with careful humidity control, then leather care should be used during the colder seasons.
I do not claim to know all science and factors, but all information that i have gleaned adds up to that conclusion.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #8,548 of 11,341
ok guys...need your help, kindly

i just got some Focal Alpha 50 near field monitors i'm using for my desktop gig (on stands)
Leave it to the French to kick the sound of desktop/computer speakers up a notch
https://www.cnet.com/news/leave-it-to-the-french-to-kick-the-sound-of-desktopcomputer-speakers-up-a-notch/

Just loving that live sound out in front of me from speakers once again
consequently i am also considering going higher to get the more refined CMS65 (used US 1300 pair mint condition)
and yet i'm also itching to try these sonys.......but i know both speakers and cans are 2 diff sound sigs.

i do have the senn 650s and flc 8s iems ...also shortly getting in the Aurisonics 1-plus iems, too.

so to those who have speakers and a nice rig and also these sony z1rs, is it worth it going for both?
(of course i'm sure it is...but ..)
i also want to upgrade to the hugo2 dac, then look at a nice 2.1 for the living room.

decisions, decisions....but also a limited budget....guess there is little vacation for me this yr: staycation....luckily i'm on the west coast.

I would definitely say it is worth having speakers and headphones but it massively depends on if you have space for speakers to be set up properly. I'll admit my room isn't ideal for speakers but I wouldn't be without them for anything. But as others say they are a different experience.

If I am honest I do use my speakers more than my headphones as I can use them more easily whilst milling about doing stuff about the house and it is more comfortable whilst laying in bed having a snooze or whatever. Hope that helps :)

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #8,549 of 11,341

This can be an ideal leather care for the Z1r. Shoe wax might be had full for human skin same as saddle wax. Tried wrong wax with my Ultrasone Signature pro once, had to unwax the pads because my skin got affected. So before you put it on the pads, you better try if your skin likes to be in contact with it.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #8,550 of 11,341
I would definitely say it is worth having speakers and headphones but it massively depends on if you have space for speakers to be set up properly. I'll admit my room isn't ideal for speakers but I wouldn't be without them for anything. But as others say they are a different experience.

If I am honest I do use my speakers more than my headphones as I can use them more easily whilst milling about doing stuff about the house and it is more comfortable whilst laying in bed having a snooze or whatever. Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

precisely.....having some sound emanate around you, filling up your living space is wonderful.
still deciding on pulling the plug on th z1rs...i'm finding im more a portable guy:
love my iems or closed sony 7520 cans with dragonfly red or mojo when on the road or at work....

at home prefer live sound from my monitors.
..might still buy the z1rs and keep them for extended listening periods: home, quiet cafe...prob hooked into a chord hugo2 would sound
great (esp with the 4 filter choices on the hugo2).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back