The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #7,951 of 11,341
I'm going to run the full shoot-out here as I prepare to make videos about each:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/839224/they-might-be-kings-focal-utopia-sony-mdr-z1r-hifiman-he1000-v2-and-mrspeakers-ether-flow-shootout

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #7,954 of 11,341
Hey sonic defender, do you feel that the sound from Z1R, when paired with idsd bl sounds tighter, more clarity and a bit of treble peaks at times especially on high pitched notes? The high pitched notes feels a bit uncomfortable and especially apparent with m50x.

I use equalizer APO to EQ the sound and it's sounds very much better now.

Are your observations the same?

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #7,955 of 11,341
Hey sonic defender, do you feel that the sound from Z1R, when paired with idsd bl sounds tighter, more clarity and a bit of treble peaks at times especially on high pitched notes? The high pitched notes feels a bit uncomfortable and especially apparent with m50x.

I use equalizer APO to EQ the sound and it's sounds very much better now.

Are your observations the same?

Sorry mate, I sold my iDSD Micro before getting the Z1R. I'm not sure I understood you, were you talking about the M50X sounding sharp at times with the Micro or the Z1R sounding sharp?

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #7,956 of 11,341
Sorry mate, I sold my iDSD Micro before getting the Z1R. I'm not sure I understood you, were you talking about the M50X sounding sharp at times with the Micro or the Z1R sounding sharp?

Both actually. The Z1R kinda sounded slightly better than the m50x though. M50x has that treble splash which makes high notes sounds piercing.

On the other hand, I second Japan if you are gonna teach abroad. It's a beautiful place with good food, rich culture and nice people.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #7,957 of 11,341
Both actually. The Z1R kinda sounded slightly better than the m50x though. M50x has that treble splash which makes high notes sounds piercing.

On the other hand, I second Japan if you are gonna teach abroad. It's a beautiful place with good food, rich culture and nice people.

Wait a second...In your op the Sony z1r at US$2200 'kinda sounded slightly better' than the US$170 mx50 cans?! Im having a hard time understanding this.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #7,958 of 11,341
Fonna:
looking forward to your impressions...esp about how they compare.
my ''TOTL" currently is only the Senn HD650.
while these cans are still a useful standby, I would love to kick up the SQ a few notches.
hopefully the Sony Z1R would do just that.
(have chord mojo, dragonfly red, ifi Micro idsd..might p/u hugo2 and sell the ifi micro idsd)
hi canali, the z1r is arriving in a few hours. unfortunately i caught a flu overnight.. i will post impressions and comparisons over the weekend (assuming im healthy enough to sit and listen for more than a few hours)... sadface

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #7,959 of 11,341
Wait a second...In your op the Sony z1r at US$2200 'kinda sounded slightly better' than the US$170 mx50 cans?! Im having a hard time understanding this.

To put this in perspective:
M50x. High notes sounded ear piercing. Example trumpets. Connected to idsd bl.

Z1R. High notes sounded more bearable. Example trumpets. Connected to idsd bl.

However, after eq added to idsd bl sound signature, the ear piercing sounds were toned down and becomes smoother to enjoy.

Un-eq, the idsd can sound sterile even though the fidelity of the output is good. I also find that Instrumental separation is better now on the Z1R, making the sound more refined and distinct.

Sorry about being vague

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #7,961 of 11,341
  Look at those ladies of sound right there lol 

When I saw your new avatar I immediately remembered this photo. Both made me laugh. You guys love your cans too much.

The look of a man who has achieved his Life Goal
devil_face.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #7,962 of 11,341

When I saw your new avatar I immediately remembered this photo. Both made me laugh. You guys love your cans too much.

The look of a man who has achieved his Life Goal
devil_face.gif

Where his headphones are is where my ex use to lay her head. She wasn't cost effective. And the Sony never complains. And i paid for it once hahaha

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #7,964 of 11,341

After all this time, are you still 100% satisfied?

No complaints about bass, mids, highs,

Volume / balance issues etc?

Comfort?

Not tempted by other ones
devil_face.gif

i'll answer best to my knowledge. 

Bass... I'm running them under-powered. 
But the you can tell the Bass sounds phenomenal. Deep, punchy. Crisp clear. And not getting in the way of other details. 

Highes, love them. Mids, Loved them. All around love. And i'm not hyping them. 

Comfort ? Pfff... Like putting on a set of Mercedes Benz headphones. If they ever made them. 

And my temptation is for the Utopia. Because nothing beats vocals on those things. I love the forward in you're face vocals over soundstage. So that might be the only way i get the Utopia's 
But i am trying to finish my Sony collection by getting a high end dac/amp. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #7,965 of 11,341
i'll answer best to my knowledge. 

Bass... I'm running them under-powered. 
But the you can tell the Bass sounds phenomenal. Deep, punchy. Crisp clear. And not getting in the way of other details. 

Highes, love them. Mids, Loved them. All around love. And i'm not hyping them. 

Comfort ? Pfff... Like putting on a set of Mercedes Benz headphones. If they ever made them. 

And my temptation is for the Utopia. Because nothing beats vocals on those things. I love the forward in you're face vocals over soundstage. So that might be the only way i get the Utopia's 
But i am trying to finish my Sony collection by getting a high end dac/amp. 

Audition the idsd bl. You should love the clarity on vocals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back