The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #5,986 of 11,341
Regarding earpads, mine has different texture and suppleness between each side . i'm pretty sure its natural, not pleather things. i'm referring to leather into contact with skin, not inner though. 

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #5,987 of 11,341
Best not to spend too much time on a forum sometimes haha. But oh well.

Yea if its actually pleather (heck I didn't even notice) that kinda sucks.  Just hope its for the acoustics lol.  Looking too deeply into luxury goods will only lead to disappointment anyways.  

Ha, yes, definitely.

As for the material... I still can't tell... I'm pretty sure the outside circumference of the earpads are protein leather. The grain is very, very even and it looks unnatural. However the inside of the earpads (not the inner-inner bits surrounding the drivers, but the circular pieces that actually contact the ear) do appear to be real leather.

Either way, I'm happy... These are easily the best cans I've owned. I've heard a few with better pure sound-quality (Abyss, notably), but nothing that comes close to the whole package of amazing sound, light weight, comfort and isolation (the last being something I need)...

So fortunate to have these, loving them!

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #5,988 of 11,341
surprised..why?

Hard to imagine that 3000 + pairs of these have sold, but then again, I need to remember where I am. 
tongue.gif

Ha, yes, definitely.

As for the material... I still can't tell... I'm pretty sure the outside circumference of the earpads are protein leather. The grain is very, very even and it looks unnatural. However the inside of the earpads (not the inner-inner bits surrounding the drivers, but the circular pieces that actually contact the ear) do appear to be real leather.

Either way, I'm happy... These are easily the best cans I've owned. I've heard a few with better pure sound-quality (Abyss, notably), but nothing that comes close to the whole package of amazing sound, light weight, comfort and isolation (the last being something I need)...

So fortunate to have these, loving them!

I noticed similar grain patterning on both pairs when I examined them. The left pad had a distinct pattern on the outside circumference on both pairs. The leather mystery continues! I want to say that it feels, real, but again, I had no idea my SA5000s weren't 100% lambskin until they started flaking. Sony would never advertise it being made from "mostly real sheepskin leather," though they could've spun it as something like "made from a blend of materials that are acoustically tuned to provide optimal sonic performance and comfort without sacrificing quality" or some schpiel. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #5,989 of 11,341
Use these straight from DAP leave me wanting more on vocals presentation.
It would be nice if the vocal take center stage, and bit more upfront. I mean, vocal is a bit laid back for my taste as it's not projected like my home rigs and don't have proper height. On tones, male voice lack "sweetness" and organic feel (dry). Woman voice at times suffered mild sibilance and thinness(rare, but still there). Other areas is top notch. This impression was based on my times comparing these with my home rigs. I'm not bashing Z1R as I have compared it extensively with HD800S,LCD-X and Mad Dog using same setup, and those also lacking at that area(with varying degree, ofcourse).

It could be DAP which doesn't have enough juice and silver-coated copper cable. i noticed we have owner here driven his Z1R using OTL. How better you think compared when feed directly via DAPs, smartphone?  i believe in cables, i hope gold-plated silver could sweeten this up.
wink_face.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #5,990 of 11,341
  Use these straight from DAP leave me wanting more on vocals presentation.
It would be nice if the vocal take center stage, and bit more upfront. I mean, vocal is a bit laid back for my taste as it's not projected like my home rigs and don't have proper height. On tones, male voice lack "sweetness" and organic feel (dry). Woman voice at times suffered mild sibilance and thinness(rare, but still there). Other areas is top notch. This impression was based on my times comparing these with my home rigs. I'm not bashing Z1R as I have compared it extensively with HD800S,LCD-X and Mad Dog using same setup, and these also lacking at that area(with varying degree, ofcourse).

It could be DAP which doesn't have enough juice and silver-coated copper cable. i think we have owner here driven his Z1R using OTL. How better you think compared when feed directly via DAPs, smartphone?  i believe in cables, i think gold-plated silver could sweeten this up.
wink_face.gif

what DAP r you using?
I used an AK JR to demo the cans and I do get what you mean.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #5,991 of 11,341
Jan 31, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #5,992 of 11,341
Mine have been delivered! Can't wait to get home and try them out. Will be using them with my iPhone tonight and my La Figaro OTL. Be interesting to see how the sound differs. I have a Dragonfly Red coming tomorrow. I will report back with my findings. I'll be comparing against my modded HD650.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #5,993 of 11,341
Mine have been delivered! Can't wait to get home and try them out. Will be using them with my iPhone tonight and my La Figaro OTL. Be interesting to see how the sound differs. I have a Dragonfly Red coming tomorrow. I will report back with my findings. I'll be comparing against my modded HD650.

Congratz man!
looking forward to your impressions, especially in the mids and bass.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #5,994 of 11,341
It comes from genetically altered sheep....they don't smell. :grin:

Well, if they we're made in USA they would have used some kind of GMO lmao. Lucky for us they are Japanese. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #5,995 of 11,341
Saw these on Amazon today via BuyWise for $1999..................

Has ANYONE yet plugged them into a vintage amp? 

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #5,998 of 11,341
Look like USD 1680 including shipping and import fee.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #5,999 of 11,341

I'm curious to hear your feedback vs your modded HD650.  You did the 3 mods ? 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back