The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #3,091 of 11,341
  Just saw this!  Had to read thru couple pages of well...whatever.  Past 10k you really need to be careful as those are where the artifacts and slight imperfections in rig build start to show.

Not to throw shade on lesnumeriques' measurements - that's not my style, but for me their linear rise of 20 dB from 5k-10k seemed....immense, at the very least.  

Btw, here is my T1 isolated measurement.  Sorry if I'm not keeping up regularly with my posting, I'm overwhelmed as far as reviews/ moving across continents goes.  
redface.gif

Hey Ken, do you have a higher resolution image for this T1 measurement? The artifacting and quality of the image is making it harder for me to separate the frequency line, but if I could get a better quality image, I'd add the T1 to the chart. In-fact, if you have any others you want me to add, just let me know. I know it might not be fully accurate, but it might be a fun rough approximated point of comparison.

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #3,092 of 11,341

Hey Ken, do you have a higher resolution image for this T1 measurement? The artifacting and quality of the image is making it harder for me to separate the frequency line, but if I could get a better quality image, I'd add the T1 to the chart. In-fact, if you have any others you want me to add, just let me know. I know it might not be fully accurate, but it might be a fun rough approximated point of comparison.

beerchug.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #3,094 of 11,341
The Sony of the R10/CD3000 era was a different beast, they were into pushing boundaries and this Sony seems to be recycling its 70mm driver. Let's hope I'm proven wrong.

Planning some listening later this afternoon...

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #3,096 of 11,341
I purchased serial number 1189 in October (At Launch) in Tokyo. I am wondering if Sony has a separate serial number scheme going on for different regions . Seems quite possible as it is hard to believe that 2 or 3 digits are just now showing up in US while the 4 digits units were available in Japan in October.

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #3,097 of 11,341
I purchased serial number 1189 in October (At Launch) in Tokyo. I am wondering if Sony has a separate serial number scheme going on for different regions . Seems quite possible as it is hard to believe that 2 or 3 digits are just now showing up in US while the 4 digits units were available in Japan in October.

Easy to understand , the 2-3 digits were new, and people (technicians) would be flimsy or not doing stuff correctly. So they have less tolerances and skills in hand assembling it and quality controls. The rest of the market is genuine pig....Japan is getting 4 digits when technicians has been doing it so well, and nothing would result into a mistake...:D

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #3,100 of 11,341
Another report I also want to impress on is that due to the closed off design, those very fine and microscopic trebles and lower and especially Upper trebles details (8-16khz bar as shown on wm1Z) in the Modern Pop genres are excellent in Z1R. I could also observe it from SA5000, but with a much louder volume out of the WM1Z, it is due to the openess design of SA5000 that I couldn't observe it well enough before. When I tried to use my palm to cover the back of the cups, I also hear it too. Therefore, the advantage of Closed of design from Z1R is showing here. If you are into modern genres or classic rock....and after burn-in. I think my Z1R has about 250 Hours or so...lol.

The Z1R keeps on getting better, and better.

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #3,101 of 11,341
Another report I also want to impress on is that due to the closed off design, those very fine and microscopic trebles and lower and especially Upper trebles details (16Khz to 20Khz) in the Modern Pop genres are excellent in Z1R. I could also observe it from SA5000, but with a much louder volume out of the WM1Z, it is due to the openess design of SA5000 that I couldn't observe it well enough before. When I tried to use my palm to cover the back of the cups, I also hear it too. Therefore, the advantage of Closed of design from Z1R is showing here. If you are into modern genres or classic rock....and after burn-in. I think my Z1R has about 250 Hours or so...lol.

The Z1R keeps on getting better, and better.

That's been my impression too- really great detail retrieval. I also never heard a closed headphone sound so open. I guess the shape of the cup and resonance free housing technology paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back