The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,801 of 11,341
  Small positive note regarding the comfort and build materials on the Z1R....

Something I've noticed early is how easy it is to relieve clamp pressure on the headband. You stretch it a bit if needed while putting them on, then it retains shape. This is is probably related to the use of a beta titanium alloy on the headband. It feels very elastic and gets comfy, but the following day, it's back to the original pressure...

So it feels as if it can adapt to multiple users, without being permanently deformed but at the same time not taking any time to stretch (no need to leave your headphones hugging a pillow multiple nights as we often have to with more clampy sets). The high elasticity, unlike the rigid aluminum that most manufacturers use means it's not only easy to shape but that it will return to its original form even if it accidentally/gets bent. Do that with carbon fiber, plus it doesn't squeak *cof*Utopia*cof*cof*...

Sadly, Sony didn't comment much on this technical aspect of the design (guess it's simple) and I don't remember much of my materials-resistance classes in college, so I don't have the science to explain it, but if anyone is qualified, feel free... Possible sources: Beta Titanium Alloys Low Elastic Modulus, Young's Modulus, etc.

Meanwhile, I heard that another Heaf-Fier will be getting unit tomorrow.. maybe with Serial Nr. 27 :wink:

You know how some headphones sound like top end speakers in the living room, some like concert halls, movie theaters, cars with subwoofers in them, live studio

What do these best represent?

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,802 of 11,341

You know how some headphones sound like top end speakers in the living room, some like concert halls, movie theaters, cars with subwoofers in them, live studio

What do these best represent?

For the past hours and going through Diana Krall's HD discography, these sound like a cozy club full of intimate but airy, lush mid-range, with a perfectly-dosed bass and a sense of space, separation and positioning that makes you smile and look at at each performer while you're tapping your foot along with the piano and bass guitar, with Krall sounding so natural and detailed as if she's sitting on the stage a few tables in front of you.  It's like what my living room at home would sound if I had the space and liberty to tweak it sonically to be a little private, velvety blissful audition room. 
But load the right track (Hotel California live will do since it's well known here) and you'll find yourself stepping outside and having a totally different type of fun... equally good but a lot less relaxed.

gs1000.gif
After three days I'm now convinced that these are the best headphones I've ever had, the next step in maturity and were fully worth the price, especially considering that the build quality will probably get them through a couple of decades without a sweat, minimum.
And that includes beating the HD800S and my longtime love - the almost 20-year old MDR-CD3000. In fact, I didn't even remember I liked jazz this much, been quite a long time without listening to much of it, especially with really good sound engineering like in these recordings... Whoa... I suspect the MDR-R10 is no longer the king. Not in comfort. Not in build quality and now probably not in sound. And I'm going to check out the Utopia just to see how high the Z1R will go in value for money - it might be the "Z1R Open" 
biggrin.gif

My friends, order it and enjoy it as soon as possible, while they are amazing and before someone publishes one of those frequency measurement charts that ruin it all for everybody!
Warning: Do not buy these if you have trouble turning off the amp to go to bed at night and always regret it when the alarm goes off for work in the morning.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,803 of 11,341
  My order shipped today, scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Which is bonkers, considering that it is coming from across the ocean. Altogether, between the exchange rate and the no taxes and the removing of shipping fees due to delay in shipment, I am saving approximately $700 versus buying it locally. Arbitrage is awesome.

Two thumbs up, share your opinion when they land
beerchug.gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #1,804 of 11,341
@beowulf thank you for the detailed description.

I'm very happy that Sony has not disappointed and since the R10s are just too rare, too risky an investment for most, its nice to know there is another Sony option to *DREAM* about :p

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #1,805 of 11,341

For the past hours and going through Diana Krall's HD discography, these sound like a cozy club full of intimate but airy, lush mid-range, with a perfectly-dosed bass and a sense of space, separation and positioning that makes you smile and look at at each performer while you're tapping your foot along with the piano and bass guitar, with Krall sounding so natural and detailed as if she's sitting on the strage a few tables in front of you.  It's like what my living room at home would sound if I had the space and liberty to tweak it sonically to be a little private, velvety blissful audition room. 
But load the right track (Hotel California live will do since it's well known here) and you'll find yourself stepping outside and having a totally different type of fun... equally good but a lot less relaxed.

gs1000.gif
After three days I'm now convinced that these are the best headphones I've ever had, the next step in maturity and were fully worth the price, especially considering that the build quality will probably get them through a couple of decades without a sweat, minimum.
And that includes beating the HD800S and my longtime love - the MDR-CD3000. In fact, I didn't even remember I liked jazz this much, been quite a long time without listening to much of it, especially with really good sound engineering like in these recordings... Whoa... I suspect the MDR-R10 is no longer the king. Not in comfort. Not in build quality and now probably not in sound. And I'm going to check out the Utopia just to see how high the Z1R will go in value for money - it might be the "Z1R Open" 
biggrin.gif

Why would you suspect that? 

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #1,806 of 11,341
:gs1000smile: After three days I'm now convinced that these are the best headphones I've ever had, the next step in maturity and were fully worth the price, especially considering that the build quality will probably get them through a couple of decades minimum.

You're killing me!
Seriously, :) appreciate the continued impressions, really looking forward to these.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #1,808 of 11,341
Originally Posted by beowulf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After three days I'm now convinced that these are the best headphones I've ever had, the next step in maturity and were fully worth the price, especially considering that the build quality will probably get them through a couple of decades without a sweat, minimum.  And that includes beating the HD800S and my longtime love - the almost 20-year old MDR-CD3000.

I suspect the MDR-R10 is no longer the king. Not in comfort. Not in build quality and now probably not in sound.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #1,809 of 11,341
Lol R10 killer ? Dream on, not what I heard from the people who had quality and qualified time spent with R10, the owners, or any other people that I known of. I can give the build quality as an agreement, however. Purk will be the last person I know who is going to give the Z1R a try as soon as he can, and I am waiting for it.....I actually can not wait for his impressions on it, so far, the only person I know to have R10 and Qualia Q10....and many other killer stuff.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #1,812 of 11,341
Lol R10 killer ? Dream on, not what I heard from the people who had quality and qualified time spent with R10, the owners, or any other people that I known of. I can give the build quality as an agreement, however. Purk will be the last person I know who is going to give the Z1R a try as soon as he can, and I am waiting for it.....I actually can not wait for his impressions on it, so far, the only person I know to have R10 and Qualia Q10....and many other killer stuff.

He believes his ears as should you believe yours 

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #1,813 of 11,341
If it's not confirmed by a Sony ingeneer then it's not reliable lol
Only NW-WM1Z is Kimber Kable wired.

It was confirmed by this guy  
wink.gif
 (again, I'm only talking of the headphone cable itself): 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf2016-sony-signature-series-mdr-z1r-headphones-nw-wm1z-portable-player-and-ta#fZi3Rg8t2LmqymOi.97

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #1,814 of 11,341
This is more evidence in my mind that the new audiophile aesthetic is a warm, sophisticated sound signature with a powerful and articulate low end. I know there have always been headphones that strived to satisfy this requirement, and maybe I'm being Captain Obvious here, but I do think this is the maturation of the trend. Assuming the Z1R does indeed deliver on all of these promises, and I have an open mind thinking it can, it sounds like an ideal signature for me. So Beowulf, I think you need to accept that you are indeed a basshead, you just need quality bass. I'm thinking about the MDR 1000X thread where you were saying how a less than punchy bass headphone was good for you. I think it is safe to say that is no longer the case right mate?
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #1,815 of 11,341

Personally I wasn't a big R10 fan; so not a biggie for me. These new Sony's are a good step up from the Z7s, but the HD800S is still a more transparent headphone IMO (if your upfront rig is up to the task). Actually I'd strongly suggest also listening to the Ether Flow C...they really blew me away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back