The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #166 of 11,341
So they're going to cost $2,199 according to CNET? 

Welp there goes my hopes and dreams..

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #167 of 11,341
I would have to agree, but I think it really depends on what gear they are auditioning these headphones on. If it is the DAP or Sony's new Amp (which is probably is) I doubt these headphones are reaching anywhere close to their true potential.

- InsanityOne :o2smile:

Curious comment from someone who hasn't heard them yet. But more importantly you think the DAC/amp that was specifically designed with this headphone in concert yet it is not gonna reach it's full potential? Why because it's a Sony and not some boutique brand?

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #170 of 11,341
Curious comment from someone who hasn't heard them yet. But more importantly you think the DAC/amp that was specifically designed with this headphone in concert yet it is not gonna reach it's full potential? Why because it's a Sony and not some boutique brand?

the mix of hype and antihype is endemic to product launches I suppose.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #172 of 11,341
If Sony secretly-re-released the R10 for $500 as MDR-A1872782, audiophiles will criticize it for having "tubey bass," a "honky midrange" and "veiled treble." More people should listen with their ears and not their wallets.

All aside, I'm pretty excited to hear these. Even from photos, these are the most gorgeous full-size headphones I've ever laid eyes on. All they have to do is not suck and Sony can have my Amex.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #173 of 11,341
  From the price, Z1R will not be as legendary as R10 and Q010...
But still exciting!

I don't think that is a sensible thought. The R10s were $2500 (about $4000 in today's money) with a very fancy case. I assume the Z1Rs don't have a super-fancy leather and wood case this time. They don't have exotically shaped woods either, and taking into account what are likely more efficient methods of manufacture and the simpler design of at least the headband and gimbals, a much higher price is arguably unnecessary. Regardless, I'd put the R10s performance on the same level as the HD800s (both from listening and from measurements) though they do have radically different tuning.  I would hope that these perform much better than the R10s as the goalposts have shifted considerably.   If Sony headphone pricing follows history with these, I'd expect to see them on sale at HD800S/Ether Flow/Audeze LCD-3 levels within a few months, which means months of arguments about which median-high-end-headphone-priced flagship is the best. 
popcorn.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #174 of 11,341
More people should listen with their ears and not their wallets.

Truuf!!

Even from photos, these are the most gorgeous full-size headphones I've ever laid eyes on. All they have to do is not suck and Sony can have my Amex.

Same goes for me, brotha!  
L3000.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #175 of 11,341
Do you guys feel that these manufactures are raising the price of  so called flagship model.
is it money getting worthless, or their product really worth it?
is it just for $3k HP over a $2k one?
I hope all trusted reviewers to compare flagship to flagship and state if one is worth the money
over the other.
My wallet cannot catch up on this high price trend.
mad.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #176 of 11,341
MDR-R10 - 1988 - 360,000 Yen / $2,500 USD (inflation adjusted $5,083.12) 
QUALIA 010 - 2004 - 260,000 Yen / $2,515 USD (inflation adjusted $3,203.96)
AKG K1000 - 1989 - $1,200 USD (inflation adjusted $2,328.84)

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #177 of 11,341
  Do you guys feel that these manufactures are raising the price of  so called flagship model.
I hope all trusted reviewers to compare flagship to flagship and state if one is worth the money
over the other.
mad.gif

No one can tell you if it's WORTH $2000. That'f for you to judge. Keep in mind that people also have different incomes and different priorities in how they spend their money. For some, maybe $2k is worth it. For others, it will not. It just depends. Value and worth are all relative IMO. But certainly prices have been going pretty up there. But that's just cause there is a demand for them and people buy it. Too bad I'm just a student. NONE of this stuff is in my range LOL

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #178 of 11,341
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/232185

https://bostonreview.net/forum/paul-bloom-lure-luxury

Lest we forget that aside from sound engineers, sound editors most products priced above the apple earbuds, koss portapro and sennheiser hd280s are luxury items, in that they are non essential items.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #179 of 11,341

They're all boutique brands at these prices.

over the other.
mad.gif

Prices keep going up because someone is always willing to pay the asking price and some believe that low price means low performance (and low expectations, less exclusive, less confidence in the product hence the lower price, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back