The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #11,146 of 11,341
Jun 30, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #11,147 of 11,341
While I think it is fair to point out that measurements show an uneven frequency response, it isn't without merit; however, in isolation it is more important than it may be in practice. Again, it is relative to the overall tonality and how the person will respond to it. Because the relative low frequency information is also more prominent the other spikes that can be seen will not have the same impact that they might with a bass shy signature for instance. The headphone is used listening to music with full audio information so the totality of the sonic signature is what is experienced. It is easy to see this in principle. Take a headphone with a spike at say 8kHz. If you boost the bass up properly the effect will mask the spike. Do the opposite with that same headphone and cut out bass and that spike will then become even more prominent. It is the whole that we hear and experience, not the individual elements and those spikes aren't really that terrible anyway, depending of course on personal sensitivity/preferences.

I've found that headphones with flatter frequency responses just sound more balanced or "neutral" than those with accentuated bass, highs, recessed mids etc. it's particularly noticeable when i compare them directly. that's not to say that i don't enjoy headphones with u or v shaped sound signatures because i do.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #11,150 of 11,341
Personally auditioning it or own it ? Yes, flatter graph = more accurate. Z1R is musical , engaging and fun. I will have to find one to collect, m50x

the z1r you mean? i've auditioned it twice now and am considering owning it. "more accurate" can be "musical, engaging and fun" too.

you used to own the th900 which has a "fun" sound signature and then replaced it with the z1r, before moving on to the utopia and then to the sr-009. so you've moved to a more "accurate" sound signature. did you find the utopia and sr-009 any less "musical and engaging"?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #11,151 of 11,341
"more accurate" can be "musical, engaging and fun" too.

Totally, but a different kind of fun. See ? With Z1R connecting to IPad, it got me jumped out of my seat watching action and scary movies....not so much with stax009. That is needless to say the 009 is accurate and musical with instruments and so on.

My point is that how much organic instruments were made in movies and EDM, or modern pops ? Which it is all about the modern music genres, and so on. Then, what organic instruments can mimic electric organ or guitars...? Etc... and that is why when I personally calling a Headphones being engaging, musical, fun, it applies to all modern computerized and electric plays. More than often I don't include the word Modern, but I was sure to include it in my Z1R review.

Comparing between an acoustic guitar to electric guitar is impossible, and the same as comparing between accurate vs musical headphones.

The special things about the Z1R is it immersive and huge soundstage, together with the way it was voiced, it makes for a super engaging movies experiences, and so for many music enjoyments as well.

I love warmth, engaging and fluidity, and so brieftly owning 009 and Carbon, I was left without this engaging and fluidity but understood that the tonal body was very awesome with organic instruments as it is one of the genres that I love. Since then I moved on to tube amps and it became a much better experiences. However, the level of engagement in watching movies....that gotta be the Z1R, neither Utopia nor 009 can grasp it as much.

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #11,153 of 11,341
did you keep the z1r or the sr-009 and why?
Couldn't keep the Z1R, because I could not lay on the couch comfortably with it, the housing is simply too big and protruded out. The 009 and Utopia is great to do so. I would well the Utopia if I could take 009 on the go....but it was impossible, so Utopia on the go, 009 for Stationary :)

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #11,154 of 11,341
so you offloaded the z1r which was your preferred headphone for movie watching because its form factor ultimately made it unsuitable for that purpose. I take it that you can wear the sr-009 while lying on the couch?

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #11,155 of 11,341
so you offloaded the z1r which was your preferred headphone for movie watching because its form factor ultimately made it unsuitable for that purpose. I take it that you can wear the sr-009 while lying on the couch?

That is correct :) I can also get great experience out of Utopia connecting away into IPad for Netflix as well

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #11,156 of 11,341
ok. i can understand how the z1r's sound signature would be well suited to movie watching. the utopia or sr-009 isn't going to give you that level of bass rumble.

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #11,157 of 11,341
ok. i can understand how the z1r's sound signature would be well suited to movie watching. the utopia or sr-009 isn't going to give you that level of bass rumble.

Nope, not the rumbles alone. Rumbles, the 009 is superior to everything I have came across :). The bass balances, the Sub bass, the layering, the rumbles, 009 has it the best and most beautifully represent from my experiences

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #11,158 of 11,341
but the z1r has a bass heavy sound signature compared to the sr-009, plus it's a closed can which would accentuate that affect

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #11,159 of 11,341
So today I finally got a pair of Z1R. Been reading this thread for months and have been very excited to listen to them. I'm coming from a pair of B&W P9 signature headphones which I have liked a lot. Will write more when I have had the chance to listen to them for a while :)
Please do. It'll be interesting hearing a fresh perspective. And BTW, congratulations on the new cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back