The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #10,292 of 11,341
Do we really want to go over this again?

Tyll made the fallacy that equating sound quality = accuracy, which as I said before cannot be more wrong. The frequency response shows *sound reproduction accuracy*, but "sound quality" is entirely *subjective* to the listener and the listener only - we ALL know this and have read many times reviews where one person's "bass lite" could be another person's "bass heavy", one person's "warm" is another person's "bright" etc. The reason why price has no baring on frequency response is preciously this, because everyone's idea of "sound quality" is in fact, purely subjective, and that is why people buy different headphones with different sound tunes. His crusade isn't going anywhere and is not really very persuasive either, and is making people even less respecting of his opinion in large.

Jun 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #10,294 of 11,341
Yeah that just him exemplify more of the importance of his preferred frequency response signature to me.....

Jun 14, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #10,295 of 11,341
Jun 14, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #10,296 of 11,341
This whole thing is silly. It is like trying to determine what the worlds best beer is by measuring the dissolved solids in the water, the purity of the hops and other ingredients based on some regional point of origin baseline. In the end, it will always return to subjective preference no doubt at all. I just loaned my Z1R to a very experienced head-fier who owns a nice stable of very well respected headphones and has owned many other very good headphones in the past. He has now decided to buy a Z1R himself. Go explain that? I can, subjective preferences, no measurements or Internet experts required, just a source, an amp and your ears.

Jun 14, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #10,297 of 11,341
Or by saying the best sausage by meat content! lol...:deadhorse:

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #10,298 of 11,341
Or by saying the best sausage by meat content! lol...:deadhorse:
Ha, ha. Curious about this, my Windows 10 was just updated and after the update it appears the Mojo driver and Media Centre don't work. Four times in a row once I hit play on a track instant Bluescreen. I then moved over to my NAD rig which has an Xmos USB driver and not a hint of a problem. I notice you have the Mojo so just curious to see if you are experiencing any similar issue?

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #10,299 of 11,341
WP_20170614_21_06_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20170614_21_09_47_Pro.jpg

My unit

still not have any problem...

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #10,300 of 11,341
That purple reflection on the grills... kinda look sexy... don't ask me why I think that.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #10,301 of 11,341
you could have ignored it :wink:
I actually was encouraged by Tyll's review. Our opinions are usually polar opposites. Doesn't mean I'll boycott Innerfidelity....I have learned quite a bit from him. I would like the same approach (tell it like he hears it) taken across the board. Not sure why the Sony Z1R was singled out. Maybe it was the price/ flagship status. (I am not a Sony fanboy btw).

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #10,302 of 11,341
Ha, ha. Curious about this, my Windows 10 was just updated and after the update it appears the Mojo driver and Media Centre don't work. Four times in a row once I hit play on a track instant Bluescreen. I then moved over to my NAD rig which has an Xmos USB driver and not a hint of a problem. I notice you have the Mojo so just curious to see if you are experiencing any similar issue?

I only ever use it with my phone but I can check when I get home from work. I am guessing you tried re installing the drivers a couple of time as that tends to fix most driver problems for some reason derp...

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #10,303 of 11,341
I dunno. Maybe Tyll could respond here directly. Just as the M50x comment was taken out of context these head-fier quotes taken out of context in an article really don't make much sense either. nothing gets solved, whereas a couple more posts and PMs might have been quite a bit more effective at explaining the rationale behind the review.

Just my 2c.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #10,305 of 11,341
This whole thing is silly. It is like trying to determine what the worlds best beer is by measuring the dissolved solids in the water, the purity of the hops and other ingredients based on some regional point of origin baseline. In the end, it will always return to subjective preference no doubt at all. I just loaned my Z1R to a very experienced head-fier who owns a nice stable of very well respected headphones and has owned many other very good headphones in the past. He has now decided to buy a Z1R himself. Go explain that? I can, subjective preferences, no measurements or Internet experts required, just a source, an amp and your ears.

conflating headphone measurements with personal preference is also silly imo, as is conflating a headphone's price with its performance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back