The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #9,841 of 11,341
I agree the Z1R is not in the same league as some of the headphones you listened to, I have owned or still own 5 of them. What I will say is the Z1R is the most relaxing headphone I have owned, I was relaxing outside with the Z1R and 1Z and thought to myself I didn't miss the Utopia one bit.

-Hydro

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #9,843 of 11,341
Agree with that, starting to see trend that for most people their first impressions always have the Z1R to perform below expectations, which kinda make it a hard buy based off separate, short demo on store. It's a great headphone to live with I'm sure by hearing people talk about it here, but it seems to doesn't have that magical "wow" factor out of the box (other than its build ofc) for people when looking at the $2000+ price point.
Though for some it does help scratch a very specific itch they have it seems.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #9,844 of 11,341
The plastic earcups on the z1r i wonder if its a stronger type of plastic like the hd800 I do notice it doesnt scratch easy at all so thatS a plus. I wonder why sony didnt make the surrounding cup metal instead of plastic i guess it has to do with confort. But it would have looked sleek with the outer stainless steel gauge with a surrounding metal cup with the aluminum yolk.

Jun 4, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #9,845 of 11,341
The plastic earcups on the z1r i wonder if its a stronger type of plastic like the hd800 I do notice it doesnt scratch easy at all so thatS a plus. I wonder why sony didnt make the surrounding cup metal instead of plastic i guess it has to do with confort. But it would have looked sleek with the outer stainless steel gauge with a surrounding metal cup with the aluminum yolk.
I think that not a single piece of the Z1r has been randomly selected. They needed ten years to develop this headphone, to me they sound so perfect, that I think the plastic they used is better than any metal that could have been taken.

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #9,846 of 11,341
I know for me I liked the Z1R right away, but I'm not sure they were a wow factor initial headphone. I now am really hoping to not need the money so that I don't have to sell the Z1R, I hope to keep them as they really have a special signature that works very well for me. I agree that they have a moody quality about them as was just posted, but also as posted, this quality makes them eminently listenable, so yes they will to an extent be a niche signature, but a very well thought out signature. No they won't please everybody, but if it is the type of signature you respond to, the Z1R nails it.

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #9,847 of 11,341
I've had mine for a few days now. Wonderful with stock cable balanced out of NW1A DAP. Very disappointing single ended (stock cable) from Mytek Brooklyn. Improved when unsampling to DSD through Audirvana. Arrival of Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable with adapter system lets me use the Brooklyn balanced, and the performance is now at least up to NW1A. Big relief. It does take time to adjust to a warm sound which at the same time is more informative than any other can or IEM I've used. A curious contradiction, but one I think I've live with happily.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #9,848 of 11,341
I notic that too. - -

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #9,849 of 11,341
I will be honest with you, I don't want to give the Aeons a chance because I need the money to fund my Z1R purchase LOL, I am sure they will improve over time but I doubt they will develop the slam and sound signature that I love from the Z1R. I don't want to say negative things about the Aeon because I honesty just listened to them for like 30 mins.
From what I recall after a brief listening with Aeons (I own the Z1Rs), they sound more neutral than Z1Rs, cost less and have a smaller sound stage. This was based on a brief listen at a show so not a fair compare by any means. By themselves they sound good. However I prefer the Z1Rs for their super soundstage despite being closed backs, I use them on long flights and they never seem to bother my neighbours although get frequent questions about the "giant headphones" so minimal sound leakage. Note that they respond well to amping, I frequently listen to them with my Hugo which sounds good. With Dragonfly Red and straight out ipad/iPhone they are ok but you can tell the difference. I am sure if I keep looking at more amps, I will find an even better pairing than the Hugo but will it be portable, not sure.

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #9,850 of 11,341
How do they compare/ contrast to the HE-1000s?

After getting the Z1Rs, I wanted something different. I am kinda considering : LCD-X, HE-1000, and Ether Flow. I would love to know how the Z1R compares to the 1000. I know comparing headphones isn't really fair since at this price, it is a matter of personal preference and what they do different. But still, I would like as many takes before making a decision.

Thanks!

(Edit: The Z1Rs are endgame for me. Pretty much. I just want something to compliment them. Also, my amp in the Cavalli Liquid Carbon.)
For 'different' I have the Stax L700 + SRM 323S as deskbound listening and the Roxanne for IEM listening (gym or flights)... both sound awesome

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #9,851 of 11,341
Well I put the stock cable from the Denon 7100 headphone and the Sony sound a lot better. Bass hits deeper, mids and treble more analog and less digital / grainy. Detailed, clear, more rounded and deeper.

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #9,852 of 11,341
i think it's crazy that this $2kplus set of cans will sound better with $$$ cables...not saying it doesn't,
don't get me wrong...it's just that it's already a premiujm priced product...you'd think Sony would
already have made any stock cable accordingly for best symmetry

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #9,853 of 11,341
i think it's crazy that this $2kplus set of cans will sound better with $$$ cables...not saying it doesn't,
don't get me wrong...it's just that it's already a premiujm priced product...you'd think Sony would
True, Head Phone made in Japan, cable made in China. I go by what I hear but looking at the cable it looks cheap.

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #9,854 of 11,341
My Utopia's sound better with a Kimber Copper Axios rather than the stock cable - and they are a $4K set of cans

My two channel Naim/Linn setup sounds better with $$$ cables - and I am embarrassed to say what that setup costs

Cables are real - go onto the Naim forum and I think you will find, almost universally, that the majority will agree with that statement
Naim include cables free in the tin - just as headphone manufacturers do. They work at a cost and try to hit a price point - so they cannot be expected to include the BEST performing ones which are currently out on the market.

Its not to say that my Naim system (and Sony cans) don't already sound amazing - it is just that they are capable of more if other parameters are optimized - power feed, cables etc.

How is it any different in saying - these $2k or $4k cans sound good with a $600 DAC/amp - Mojo
But they sound BETTER with a $2000 DAC/amp - Hugo2

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #9,855 of 11,341

Are you new to this hobby? Cos people claiming a premium headphone sounding better with an aftermarket cable upgrade is hardly anything new nor unique to the Z1R....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back