The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #646 of 11,341
Apologies if I went off subject a bit, however Sony's pedigree in hi end audio IMO is worthy of inclusion.

Very interesting contribution. Getting more nd more curious about their new line of reference products.

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #650 of 11,341
I find it quite odd that people here seem to think Sony has no hi-end pedigree in audio. Probably has something to do with the MDR-Z7 flop and their recent silence in the audio market. But in Asia, Sony's ES and R line are considered as the epitome of audio engineering, and we're not even talking about the professional grade monsters like C-800G.

It's also quite interesting that while the MDR-SA series are considered "tin cans" in the United States, they are held in very high regard in the Asian markets.

I hope MDR-Z1R lives up to their flagship standards. They've even included images of R10 and Q010 in the engineer's interview. I believe this is a sign that this is a serious attempt at tackling the extreme high-end.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #651 of 11,341
I find it quite odd that people here seem to think Sony has no hi-end pedigree in audio. Probably has something to do with the MDR-Z7 flop and their recent silence in the audio market. But in Asia, Sony's ES and R line are considered as the epitome of audio engineering, and we're not even talking about the professional grade monsters like C-800G.

It's also quite interesting that while the MDR-SA series are considered "tin cans" in the United States, they are held in very high regard in the Asian markets.

I hope MDR-Z1R lives up to their flagship standards. They've even included images of R10 and Q010 in the engineer's interview. I believe this is a sign that this is a serious attempt at tackling the extreme high-end.

Well in Germany Sony seems to just have no relationship to High End Audio Stores. If you want to sell cans like those one over here, you need to be in those store for people to demo your stuff. I can even demo the LCD series in my town, or the Macintosh/Beyer bit not even the Z7 because it retails too high for the big sores that we have here.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #652 of 11,341

You seem to forgot that Asian and American has different taste of music and preferences

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #653 of 11,341
Well in Germany Sony seems to just have no relationship to High End Audio Stores. If you want to sell cans like those one over here, you need to be in those store for people to demo your stuff. I can even demo the LCD series in my town, or the Macintosh/Beyer bit not even the Z7 because it retails too high for the big sores that we have here.

Sony was not in a good shape these days I have to say. They are launching products left and right but you can't find them anywhere. I've been to one of their Sony Stores and tried the MDR-EX1000. The cables are all crumbled together and overall looks really crappy. Very ironic considering build-quality wise, EX1000 is one of the best.

Z7 retails too high? Is it because of some tax issue? I believe HD800s is much more expensive than the Z7. Though admittedly Germany is Sennheiser's home turf.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #656 of 11,341
Inbthe while everyone else had been milking this cash cow...aka Beats. If Sony was serious enough, beats wouldnt have it foots on the market

Unfortunately, I don't think they could quite get the marketing right for that to happen.  Their idea of "hip" isn't quite right...it's a little off in fact.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #657 of 11,341
  Unfortunately, I don't think they could quite get the marketing right for that to happen.  Their idea of "hip" isn't quite right...it's a little off in fact.  
biggrin.gif

All they have to do is to gold-plated the Z7 and distributed it to the athletes free of charge.  Hell these guys will use Sony because it is much better built and sound a good bit better.  Seven  or eight years ago, it was all Bose Quiet comfort...now it is all about Beats. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #658 of 11,341
  Sony was not in a good shape these days I have to say. They are launching products left and right but you can't find them anywhere. I've been to one of their Sony Stores and tried the MDR-EX1000. The cables are all crumbled together and overall looks really crappy. Very ironic considering build-quality wise, EX1000 is one of the best.

Z7 retails too high? Is it because of some tax issue? I believe HD800s is much more expensive than the Z7. Though admittedly Germany is Sennheiser's home turf.

​The HD 800 retail much higher, but only in the HighEnd stores. The Z7 is only available on Amazon and some super big retail stores in the major German cities like Berlin, Frankfurt and Hamburg.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #660 of 11,341
I think Apple's market (enormous) has Sony "Beat". Can't account for a blind ( and half deaf) following...

Sony is the company that has the largest headphones sale globally, and not Apple. We can not just project the market in the US to the world. To my opinion, it seems that Sony is kind of lost on what they want to achieve, and how they want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back