The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #6,109 of 11,341
The Utopia is worth $4,000.

#alternativefact

(Kidding if I have offended Utopia owners)

I guess i'll find out Saturday. I hope it really sucks. So i won't buy it. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #6,110 of 11,341
More than the Ether Flow thread as well... Not bad considering both the Flow and Focal threads have been around several months longer! Z1R master-race! 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #6,114 of 11,341
Anybody nailed down a carrying case that will fit the Z1R with cable attached?

I can definitely say that the Slappa Hardbody Pro Full Size (great cheap case, btw) does NOT work... The Z1R is too big for them even without cables.

So you noticed more body/bass with the Sony kimber ? The all copper one ? 

Yup. Wasn't night-and-day, but definitely a small improvement. Like others have said, you might notice some toning down of the brightness, and some overall darkening of the sound signature, but that hasn't been my experience. Like anything when it comes to the smaller improvements, YMMV.

Biggest thing I can say for the cable is that I'm keeping it, and it is more than I like to pay for cables... Even if it is a deal relative to it's sister cable, the Kimber Axios. I won't deny that a fair part of that decision is that I am already in $2k, so (expletive deleted) it... But that said, I do think it's a tangible (albeit small) improvement.

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #6,115 of 11,341
Listening right now to the Z1R with the Sony-branded Kimber cable (1.2m length terminated with 3.5mm mini), switching back and forth with the stock cable...

For the record, I'm not a big believer in high-end cables vs decent stock cables of the same material. I can't tell a difference except if the stock cable is bad to begin with. I do believe in different signatures between cables of different materials, however. So with that in mind, I was expecting at most perhaps more bass and mids weight with some rolling off of the highs and some darkening overall, due to the full copper of the Kimber vs the silver plated copper of the stock cable...

Well, so far I don't notice any darkening or rolling of the highs, so that's unexpectedly nice. There is definitely slightly more body to the mids and bass. Think it might have more to do with the 8-4 wiring design than the materials, honestly.

I'd heard some people talk about microphonics issues, but mine is pretty decent. Definitely there if I tap or play with the cable, and more so overall when compared to the stock, but just sitting and typing they are silent. It's a weighty cable, and tends to stay where it rests. So no real issues there for me.

Side by side with the $700+ Kimber Axios cable that my buddy has, it's definitely the same cable, albeit with a plastic/resin Sony branded splitter vs the wood splitter on the Axios, and metal Sony branded connectors. So I guess it's a bargain? If one can call saving $450 by only paying $250 for $6 worth of materials a "bargain", ha ha. I'll go with "slightly less idiotic".

At any rate, I'd place them in the "minor upgrade" category vs "sidegrade", so better than I was expecting... I'm pleasantly surprised. Again, nothing shocking, but hey, a minor upgrade to something already stellar is always nice. Whether or not it's worth the $229 MSRP is up to you. I paid $250 and change after tax with Amazon, just for the return policy, but I think I'll keep them. You can get them off the bay for just under $200, but you'll wait for them to ship standard mail from Korea or Japan...

I think the Kimber cable sounds a bit more of everything, more bass, more forward and clearer.

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #6,116 of 11,341
Anybody nailed down a carrying case that will fit the Z1R with cable attached?

I can definitely say that the Slappa Hardbody Pro Full Size (great cheap case, btw) does NOT work... The Z1R is too big for them even without cables.
Yup. Wasn't night-and-day, but definitely a small improvement. Like others have said, you might notice some toning down of the brightness, and some overall darkening of the sound signature, but that hasn't been my experience. Like anything when it comes to the smaller improvements, YMMV.

Biggest thing I can say for the cable is that I'm keeping it, and it is more than I like to pay for cables... Even if it is a deal relative to it's sister cable, the Kimber Axios. I won't deny that a fair part of that decision is that I am already in $2k, so (expletive deleted) it... But that said, I do think it's a tangible (albeit small) improvement.

Honestly i like the looks of the all copper one. I think it makes the Z1R look a little cooler in photos. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #6,117 of 11,341
Yes - add me to the list of a case to use with the Z1R's WITH cables attached

And also - please - amplifier recommendations to connect to my 2 channel system (DAC not required).  Portable duties will be handled by a Mojo for now and a Hugo 2 later.

I am going to Can Jam and will listen to the Sony desktop amplifier.  I am sure there will be great synergy with the Z1R.  My only concern is, since it will be my first and only amplifier, how will the Sony work with other cans if I get the bug again.

Starting to regret coming back to HeadFi after my 14 year absence - getting the bug again.  I should have stayed away!

PS - Elears are going  - Z1R's are staying.  Maybe Can Jam will tempt me with an open back companion so the Z1R's don't get lonely

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #6,118 of 11,341
I had the Kimber cable for the Z7 and used it for the Z1R.   I don't know if the newer version is any different but it is just a bit darker/bassier in sound than the stock.   It wasn't a drastic difference though.  I just didn't like the design of the cable - not flexible enough and too stiff.   It felt like a rattling chain.  And it would rub on the shoulders and was a tad micro-phonic.   I returned it. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #6,119 of 11,341
  Yes - add me to the list of a case to use with the Z1R's WITH cables attached

And also - please - amplifier recommendations to connect to my 2 channel system (DAC not required).  Portable duties will be handled by a Mojo for now and a Hugo 2 later.

I am going to Can Jam and will listen to the Sony desktop amplifier.  I am sure there will be great synergy with the Z1R.  My only concern is, since it will be my first and only amplifier, how will the Sony work with other cans if I get the bug again.

Starting to regret coming back to HeadFi after my 14 year absence - getting the bug again.  I should have stayed away!

PS - Elears are going  - Z1R's are staying.  Maybe Can Jam will tempt me with an open back companion so the Z1R's don't get lonely

What made you return the Elear?   Interested in your comparison between the two.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #6,120 of 11,341
  I had the Kimber cable for the Z7 and used it for the Z1R.   I don't know if the newer version is any different but it is just a bit darker/bassier in sound than the stock.   It wasn't a drastic difference though.  I just didn't like the design of the cable - not flexible enough and too stiff.   It felt like a rattling chain.  And it would rub on the shoulders and was a tad micro-phonic.   I returned it. 

i checked myself if it is any different. All i noticed was, that it says for Z7/Z1R on the packaging. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back