The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #6,077 of 11,341
Listening right now to the Z1R with the Sony-branded Kimber cable (1.2m length terminated with 3.5mm mini), switching back and forth with the stock cable...

For the record, I'm not a big believer in high-end cables vs decent stock cables of the same material. I can't tell a difference except if the stock cable is bad to begin with. I do believe in different signatures between cables of different materials, however. So with that in mind, I was expecting at most perhaps more bass and mids weight with some rolling off of the highs and some darkening overall, due to the full copper of the Kimber vs the silver plated copper of the stock cable...

Well, so far I don't notice any darkening or rolling of the highs, so that's unexpectedly nice. There is definitely slightly more body to the mids and bass. Think it might have more to do with the 8-4 wiring design than the materials, honestly.

I'd heard some people talk about microphonics issues, but mine is pretty decent. Definitely there if I tap or play with the cable, and more so overall when compared to the stock, but just sitting and typing they are silent. It's a weighty cable, and tends to stay where it rests. So no real issues there for me.

Side by side with the $700+ Kimber Axios cable that my buddy has, it's definitely the same cable, albeit with a plastic/resin Sony branded splitter vs the wood splitter on the Axios, and metal Sony branded connectors. So I guess it's a bargain? If one can call saving $450 by only paying $250 for $6 worth of materials a "bargain", ha ha. I'll go with "slightly less idiotic".

At any rate, I'd place them in the "minor upgrade" category vs "sidegrade", so better than I was expecting... I'm pleasantly surprised. Again, nothing shocking, but hey, a minor upgrade to something already stellar is always nice. Whether or not it's worth the $229 MSRP is up to you. I paid $250 and change after tax with Amazon, just for the return policy, but I think I'll keep them. You can get them off the bay for just under $200, but you'll wait for them to ship standard mail from Korea or Japan...

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #6,078 of 11,341
I have tried it with the WA8 and consider it an absolutely outstanding pairing and portable too.

The WA8 must be sweet, would love one of those bad boys.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #6,079 of 11,341
Guys,if you were to choose between the Sony Z1R and Ether C Flow,which one,and i am asking this assuming that you heard both.

It's much better than the original Ether IMHO. (I sold my Ether. It was nice, but more analytical and thinner/smaller sounding than the dramatic, encompassing, wall-of-sound Z1R).
Yeah, now that I think about it that's how I would describe the Sony Z1R in the fewest words for a capsule review:
A Wall-Of-Sound headphone.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #6,080 of 11,341
Just received my MDR Z1R, I can hear harshness in female vocals.. hopefully some burn in will help.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #6,081 of 11,341
It's much better than the original Ether IMHO. (I sold my Ether. It was nice, but more analytical and thinner/smaller sounding than the dramatic, encompassing, wall-of-sound Z1R).
Yeah, now that I think about it that's how I would describe the Sony Z1R in the fewest words for a capsule review:
[COLOR=FF0000]A Wall-Of-Sound headphone.[/COLOR]
If you're asking which is better when comparing the Z1R v Ether Flow C ....that's a hell of choice. Both are really strong closed cans, both isolate nicely, both can play forward or laid back. Z1R has more bass and the quality of the bass is about equal. Mids are more forward on the Z1R but that doesn't mean the Flow C lacks in mids. Z1R has a bit of symbalence the Flow C doesn't have. Both have nice extension on both ends. Z1R is just a bit lighter both are very comfortable. Both have nice but different tonal signatures.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 1, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #6,082 of 11,341
[COLOR=FF0000]A Wall-Of-Sound headphone.[/COLOR]

I know what you mean with that description. The cups are so huge too I feel like when you put them on you walk into a concert hall or studio and you get enveloped in the music. But not in an obnoxious assault on your ears kind of way.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #6,083 of 11,341
  Just received my MDR Z1R, I can hear harshness in female vocals.. hopefully some burn in will help.

I like EQ'ing 10kHz down slightly and 1kHz up slightly for smoother vocals. 

I also boost bass frequencies up a bit too on certain albums. 

Nothing crazy, just small adjustments. 

BTW, I use the VOX Music Player app in OSX, which is free, has an EQ and sound great. It also plays high rez files like FLAC, ALAC, etc!

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #6,085 of 11,341
Listening right now to the Z1R with the Sony-branded Kimber cable (1.2m length terminated with 3.5mm mini), switching back and forth with the stock cable...

For the record, I'm not a big believer in high-end cables vs decent stock cables of the same material. I can't tell a difference except if the stock cable is bad to begin with. I do believe in different signatures between cables of different materials, however. So with that in mind, I was expecting at most perhaps more bass and mids weight with some rolling off of the highs and some darkening overall, due to the full copper of the Kimber vs the silver plated copper of the stock cable...

Well, so far I don't notice any darkening or rolling of the highs, so that's unexpectedly nice. There is definitely slightly more body to the mids and bass. Think it might have more to do with the 8-4 wiring design than the materials, honestly.

I'd heard some people talk about microphonics issues, but mine is pretty decent. Definitely there if I tap or play with the cable, and more so overall when compared to the stock, but just sitting and typing they are silent. It's a weighty cable, and tends to stay where it rests. So no real issues there for me.

Side by side with the $700+ Kimber Axios cable that my buddy has, it's definitely the same cable, albeit with a plastic/resin Sony branded splitter vs the wood splitter on the Axios, and metal Sony branded connectors. So I guess it's a bargain? If one can call saving $450 by only paying $250 for $6 worth of materials a "bargain", ha ha. I'll go with "slightly less idiotic".

At any rate, I'd place them in the "minor upgrade" category vs "sidegrade", so better than I was expecting... I'm pleasantly surprised. Again, nothing shocking, but hey, a minor upgrade to something already stellar is always nice. Whether or not it's worth the $229 MSRP is up to you. I paid $250 and change after tax with Amazon, just for the return policy, but I think I'll keep them. You can get them off the bay for just under $200, but you'll wait for them to ship standard mail from Korea or Japan...

Yes cables upgrade is the last thing in the chain to squeeze out all of the juices from your stuff :)

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #6,087 of 11,341
Hello to all owners of the Z1R. I'm looking to upgrade from my puny M50X.
I do like the sound signature of it and wonder the Z1R would be a good upgrade for me?

Yes, it really would.  Are the m50x's the only headphones you've tried or had?   This matters because you don't want to buy an expensive headphone only if it's not exactly the right signature for you. Cheers!

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #6,088 of 11,341
  Yes, it really would.  Are the m50x's the only headphones you've tried or had?   This matters because you don't want to buy an expensive headphone only if it's not exactly the right signature for you. Cheers!

+1

although signature preference could change too at one point.
It's always better to demo the cans even if it has similar sound signature.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #6,089 of 11,341

More or less, I have been using cans for quite some time. Kenwood and ATH ones, then iems.
M50x bass could be better, treble not that bad, overall, from what I have read so far from your review on Z1R, it could be the end game for me.
Where would you suggest me to go, for the audition of the z1r in Singapore?

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #6,090 of 11,341
Hopefully in 10 months they produce enough of the z1rs to where they can set the price in the $1300-$1500 range a heck of a lot of people will agree that the $2,300 is just to high. And the sound the z1r produce is not $2300 lol thats a heck of a lot of money to have bass tickling youe ears haha I have my son for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back