The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #4,666 of 11,341
Just got the message, that my Z1r got dispatched from A......... UK.

The Z1R is like a perfected Z7.  I hope you will enjoy it even more than your Z7.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #4,667 of 11,341
Have a pair inbound from an authorized dealer in Colorado. To me, the peace of mind of buying from an authorized dealer was worth it....

The only other pair I have to compare the Z1R to compare to is a lightly modded HD650. I've used them exclusively since 2009.

-headphickle

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #4,668 of 11,341
The Z1R is like a perfected Z7.  I hope you will enjoy it even more than your Z7.

I will keep the Z7 for portable use like in the office and the HD650 for when I need to be aware of my surroundings. And sell some other stuff for sure.

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #4,669 of 11,341
Have a pair inbound from an authorized dealer in Colorado. To me, the peace of mind of buying from an authorized dealer was worth it....

The only other pair I have to compare the Z1R to compare to is a lightly modded HD650. I've used them exclusively since 2009.

-headphickle

Maybe the Z1r is finally the closed counterpart for the HD650 that Sennheiser refuses to develop since long?
Btw, inside the EU, my deal with A....... UK is perfectly legal and there is no risk involved.

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #4,670 of 11,341

Interesting, thanks for the input.  I think you're right.  I already have the SZ2000 rattle king and THX00 rattle prince.  No real need to make the Z1R heavy hitters and risk damaging them I guess.  I really just wanted to know if they were capable.  I actually cut my bass eq in half with the THX00 and am listening to a lot more music that has doesn't require gobs of bass.  Which is really why I'm really interested in the high end stuff now for classical, jazz, female vocals, etc--all the stuff that didn't sound too great out of the SZ2000.  The THX00 definitely showed me what I've been missing out on.  I'm no longer pure basshead, but wouldn't feel to good about spending the big money on something that couldn't do big bass if I wanted it. 

I suppose most of the bass boosting I'd do with these would be for movies and games now..    I think I read that the TH900 has a bigger stage, which gives it a win there.  But I guess the Z1R is now giving TH900 a run for its money in the bass department.  I like action and sci fi games, and when there are spaceships, explosions, etc. I love the cinematic feel that powerful bass and big soundstage can bring to the table.

So is TH900 or Z1R better for movies and games in this regard?

You are making your way through the heavyweights in the bass dept to clarity in proper order I think!! The THX00 is basically the super playful version of the Z1R. The Z1R is the matured version of the THX00 that's able to stick it to classical and jazz while still keeping the same tuning parameters of warmth and easy listen. The Z1R beats the THX00 in every dept unless you subjectively like that bass boost/bloat that the THX00 brings forward and makes everything a fun listen. Imagine the THX00 with more control throughout the entire sound spectrum with better imaging and soundstage. Add comfort and design on top of that and the Z1R is what you come up with.

See if this rings true to what you hear on the THX00.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #4,671 of 11,341
Just realized I've had my Z1R on almost non-stop the whole day. It is impressive how comfortable these big bean bags are. Totally beats even the HD800 for me (I'd say a good reference since lots of people call it super comfy - which in fact, it is).
Z1R feels much lighter than it is, the headband is well cushioned, perfect clamp... the adjustment is precise, the leather is nice... I don't see how to improve comfort on these except installing a fan in the cups when summer comes. :)

I know we focus mostly on sound, but hey. Comfort is also important for me. No matter how epic some cans sound. if they are uncomfortable, you're not going to use them often. This Japanese toy manages to combine the best of both aspects. I could easily wear them at the office/work 08:00-18:00 if needed. Sadly, it's more of an IEM environment.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #4,672 of 11,341
For such an impressive headphone, which really belongs in the Summit Fi forum, I am actually glad this thread started here in this forum. I might have never found about it because I rarely browse Summit Fi. It was a stretch for me price-wise but well worth it. I know I am fan boy at this point but I think the Z1R's reputation will slowly build. It's been out several months with little hype it seems and word of mouth on this thread alone has attracted quite a few new buyers.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #4,673 of 11,341
For such an impressive headphone, which really belongs in the Summit Fi forum, I am actually glad this thread started here in this forum. I might have never found about it because I rarely browse Summit Fi. It was a stretch for me price-wise but well worth it. I know I am fan boy at this point but I think the Z1R's reputation will slowly build. It's been out several months with little hype it seems and word of mouth on this thread alone has attracted quite a few new buyers.

It is a great set of phones that's for sure no doubt about it.  However its signature will likely be a tad much for someone who prefer "clarity" over "warmth, smooth, and bassy".  For instance, I still prefer my upgraded set of CD3000 over it but not by much.  My wife also agreed and even picked my recabled SA5000 over it.  Still, both of us find the Z1R immensely enjoyable for what it is.  Another local headfi friend also take my CD3000 when he auditioned both side by side.  For now I'm keeping the Z1R...and that's saying a lot.  I hope to fix my Z7 when the left driver come in and sell it off to recoup some of the cost.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #4,675 of 11,341
  Just realized I've had my Z1R on almost non-stop the whole day. It is impressive how comfortable these big bean bags are. Totally beats even the HD800 for me (I'd say a good reference since lots of people call it super comfy - which in fact, it is).
Z1R feels much lighter than it is, the headband is well cushioned, perfect clamp... the adjustment is precise, the leather is nice... I don't see how to improve comfort on these except installing a fan in the cups when summer comes. :)

I know we focus mostly on sound, but hey. Comfort is also important for me. No matter how epic some cans sound. if they are uncomfortable, you're not going to use them often. This Japanese toy manages to combine the best of both aspects. I could easily wear them at the office/work 08:00-18:00 if needed. Sadly, it's more of an IEM environment.

Better get spare ear pads! Do they sell them seperately? I had asked b4but no answer

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #4,677 of 11,341
If any of you are in the Chicago area on the 28th, Jason from The Source AV is flying into Chicago for our local Head-Fi meet and bringing the full new Sony including the Z1R headphones, the new DAC/AMP and the new SOTA DAP.  Feel free to stop by and get a chance to listen.  

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #4,678 of 11,341

I know it won't beat the Legendary R10's Legendary status/folklore etc.

but its technically better right?

Head to Head would you still pick R10?

I think he said he picks his modified cd3000 over Z1r by a bit. R10 is on a whole other level I imagine. I have yet to hear a R10, Sr-Omega, Orpheus, k-1000 but I do have a decent amount  of experience with vintage. From my perspective the 1990's was audio's last hurrah and it was headphones, cd's and dacs that got most of the attention. TT's and Speakers were 70's and 80's, after the 90's allot of what sounds good to me is just a new take on a old technology. I just wish they could keep the price the same. I guess they did with this headphone but I also do not think you will ever see a R10 owner choose a Z1r over a R10.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #4,679 of 11,341
  If any of you are in the Chicago area on the 28th, Jason from The Source AV is flying into Chicago for our local Head-Fi meet and bringing the full new Sony including the Z1R headphones, the new DAC/AMP and the new SOTA DAP.  Feel free to stop by and get a chance to listen.  

That is pretty awesome of him to do, cudos for that. Yes I know it is a marketing opportunity, but regardless, that is still a pretty impressive undertaking considering you have zero guarantee that it will ever lead to a sale. Good for your meet, wish my little city had a serious dealer willing to do this, heck even within their city it is like pulling teeth to even get them to let you demo something at the meet. Congratulations for getting some real participation. Anybody else attending, dealer wise I mean?

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4,680 of 11,341
That is pretty awesome of him to do, cudos for that. Yes I know it is a marketing opportunity, but regardless, that is still a pretty impressive undertaking considering you have zero guarantee that it will ever lead to a sale. Good for your meet, wish my little city had a serious dealer willing to do this, heck even within their city it is like pulling teeth to even get them to let you demo something at the meet. Congratulations for getting some real participation. Anybody else attending, dealer wise I mean?

Warren Chi from Cavalli Audio is also flying out and bringing the Spark and the Liquid Tungsten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back