The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #4,441 of 11,341
I would really like to pull the trigger on these headphones. A few things are holding me back:

- Availability. The retailer where Sony directs buyers doesn't have them to sell (or even fulfill right now) and is also not taking pre-orders.

- Want to read reviews and more opinions. Probably Tyll's review and measurements would get me fully decided on them.

I'd love to hear more listening impressions from seasoned members.

-headphickle

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #4,442 of 11,341
I would really like to pull the trigger on these headphones. A few things are holding me back:

- Availability. The retailer where Sony directs buyers doesn't have them to sell (or even fulfill right now) and is also not taking pre-orders.

- Want to read reviews and more opinions. Probably Tyll's review and measurements would get me fully decided on them.

-headphickle

Measurements don't always tell the whole story, and they definitely won't help with your preferences in presentation etc. The simplest (and best) way to me is still to try them out yourself at a local dealer etc if possible. 

Other than that, this thread has a lot of impressions and comparisons by now, will just take some effort to scan through the pages. Overall it's been very well received, and has even caused some members to sell their previous top headphones. But really, it's always best to try for yourself, your preferences and listening faculties are unique.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #4,443 of 11,341
Yeah, but when they was selling for 1.149 pounds? I set alert on pricespy, but the lowest price was around 1300...

The price goes down to there when you are at final checkout if you are in the US, as the VAT is taken out of the sale price. Just ordered yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #4,445 of 11,341

-headphickle

Just buy'em (like on ebay; you'll have'em in a week or so). I've been through a zillion headphones (even R10s) and these are simply great (maybe even a breakthrough the more I listen to them feeling I can't get enough of them).
Tyll was a big fan of the earlier Audezes and I feel these beat Audeze at their own game since they have a similar sonic bent and I'll wager Tyll is going to like these a lot regardless of their measurements.

Just one more comment from listening: the Z1R is a very atmospheric headphone, with a really nice palpable soundfield that transports you into a venue or hall. What was that old Hifi marketing term from long ago,
Concert Hall Realism? Well that's what I think of when I hear the Z1R.

And just thinking about Hifi marketing terms of yore, remember Digital Ready? Well the Sony Z1R is exactly this, since they magically cure digital glare, targeting this primary flaw in digital perfectly, as if you have a DAC that is suddenly much more refined and analog sounding.

Looking at spending big bucks on an analog-sounding DAC in hopes of combining digital resolution and vinyl ease and musicality?
Well, first try the Sony Z1R with your old DAC and see if it achieves this best-of-both-worlds balance.
You may save a lot of money.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #4,446 of 11,341

Where are you located headphickle? If you are in North America as you may know there are several dealers with stock, but you will pay more than those UK prices previously discussed. Good luck and let us know if and when you pull the trigger.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #4,447 of 11,341

-headphickle

If they sound good they'll probably measure bad. 
biggrin.gif

I have these and they are nice but for my taste they don't come near the M1 or LA-900 though. Awesome bass but it overwhelms the rest a bit.
What I did find is they're about the best I heard for movies and a game. Probably the mix of the amount of bass and the huge drivers.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #4,448 of 11,341
If they sound good they'll probably measure bad. :D

I have these and they are nice but for my taste they don't come near the M1 or LA-900 though. Awesome bass but it overwhelms the rest a bit.
What I did find is they're about the best I heard for movies and a game. Probably the mix of the amount of bass and the huge drivers.

What do you like about the M1 over the Z1R?

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #4,449 of 11,341
I was reading the M1 thread and detractors were treating the InnerFidelity measurements like sacred text. Never mind actually listening to it!

They had the M1 for $2k on Amazon the other day so there are some deals coming.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #4,450 of 11,341
And now, for something totally different, which IEM/earphone is the little version of the Sony Z1R?

(this is not a trick question, I just switched from the SE846 to the Z1R on the same track and that came to mind... what's the Z1R of the IEM world?)

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #4,452 of 11,341
Just gave the Z1R an extensive audition. 

Pictures, impressions, sources, etc. incoming.

I compared them with the HD800S, Utopias, Ether Flow/C Flow, McIntosh MHP1000, LCD-X/LCD-4, and Dharma D1000.

Very favorable initial thoughts.
I think the Z1R competes quite well with the open flagships out there.
Above all, they offer an unique sound that strikes the balance between euphonic and detailed. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #4,453 of 11,341
The most valuable aspects to me in the Z1R is it Closed off design for Isolations, the Magical mid spectrum into upper mid and lower treble. These are the hardest to achieve and Z1R does excellent with it while controlling the treble overall to be a bit darker for more relaxing and non fatiguing listening.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #4,454 of 11,341
What do you like about the M1 over the Z1R?

Well, as I said the Z1R has deep and clean bass but it overpowers the rest of the music a bit.
I find the M1 to have ample (a lot) clean bass as well without being overpowered but not as much bass as the Z1R.
Mids and highs come out better due to that. Mids are a bit less warm than the Z1R, highs just as extended without being bright just like the Z1R.
More detail and more spatial. Does well with any genre, the Z1R with a lot of genres but not all.
All in all for music I prefer the M1 but my Z1R isn't going anywhere though.
I'm not describing weak points of the Z1R above, just where the M1 outperforms it IMO.

Difficult to compare open and closed cans though, more so if they sound typically open and closed.
The LA-900 is not really to be compare to the Z1R as well, nor to the M1, totally different sound signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back