The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #3,646 of 11,341
By the time the headband wears out humans will have music chip implants and headphones will be obsolete :grin:

That might be true. The lame PU leather on the CD3000 lasted 17+ years on my set (finally needs replacement now). The Z1R looks as if it would last twice that much if treated equally well (nothing special, not letting your pets /kids/smoke/etc ruin them faster than necessary)

Dec 17, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #3,647 of 11,341
I have, and liked the Z1R more. I didn't spend a lot of time with the Flow C, mainly because I felt it lacked the musicality and warmth of the Z1R and didn't interest me. It may be considered by some a very technical headphone, but I rather have the musicality, warmth and head stage of the Z1R. But of course, you may have guessed that, since I'm here all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

​Ahhh, thanks......that has answered my question from a bit back...........................I like my bass with a good punch...... but without the 'hug'........................If I want warmth, I put on a sweater....LOL

Dec 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #3,648 of 11,341
​Ahhh, thanks......that has answered my question from a bit back...........................I like my bass with a good punch...... but without the 'hug'........................If I want warmth, I put on a sweater....LOL

Heh. Well, we all have our preferences when it comes to presentation, nothing wrong with that. But as I always say, nothing beats hearing for yourself, in order to arrive at a decision. If you get a chance, give these a listen too, they might just surprise you

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #3,651 of 11,341
I'm curious how deep the earcups are on these for the back of the ear.  It's hard to tell with pictures because of the grill pattern.  I've had the MDR-V600 in the past and those were way too small.  Are they as roomy as the angled Ether pads?  The angled Ether pads are about perfect for my ear size but the clamping is a bit much sometimes.  I wish I could wear open headphones because Sennheisers are supremely comfortable for me, so I'm curious how the Z1R compares.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #3,653 of 11,341
I know it was touched on before without any concensus but any good travel case for the Z1R as the supplied box might be nice but it is approximately the size of the universe lol :wink:

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #3,654 of 11,341
Bought the Amazon.uk warehouse deal this past week :smile:. Have been following this tread for quite a while and could not resist anymore. I can't find any fault at all with them. No scratches or anything visible at least what I can see. Serial number is 0173. If anyone has any information at all please share here or send a pm.

I've only have them a few days so impressions are of course limited. But I frigging love them :joy:. They just seem to do everything right. I think it has been written many times already but the best way to describe them is, musical and pure enjoyment.

They are very very comfortable and 100 % non fatigue. I can wear them for hours without notice that I have them on my head except for the music.

I have not until now found any tracks/albums they don't portrait "right". It's pretty amazing. I mostly listen to rock/metal music, but a wide variety within these genres. Fast guitars, slow paced music with female vocals etc. everything just sounds fantastic.

And easy to drive. Atm I listen to them right out of my HTC10 :thumbsup:. OK the Mojo does the job better but it's not night and day.

The Z1R got one more fan.

Dec 18, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #3,655 of 11,341
Bought the Amazon.uk warehouse deal this past week :smile:. Have been following this tread for quite a while and could not resist anymore. I can't find any fault at all with them. No scratches or anything visible at least what I can see. Serial number is 0173. If anyone has any information at all please share here or send a pm.

I've only have them a few days so impressions are of course limited. But I frigging love them :joy:. They just seem to do everything right. I think it has been written many times already but the best way to describe them is, musical and pure enjoyment.

They are very very comfortable and 100 % non fatigue. I can wear them for hours without notice that I have them on my head except for the music.

I have not until now found any tracks/albums they don't portrait "right". It's pretty amazing. I mostly listen to rock/metal music, but a wide variety within these genres. Fast guitars, slow paced music with female vocals etc. everything just sounds fantastic.

And easy to drive. Atm I listen to them right out of my HTC10 :thumbsup:. OK the Mojo does the job better but it's not night and day.

The Z1R got one more fan.

May I politely ask, how much you paid in GBP?

Dec 18, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #3,656 of 11,341
Around 1300 pounds all in, with express shipping. I think the price on the website was 1230 pounds but the end price is always bigger on Amazon. Unless something comes up I am happy.

Can I politely ask how much you paid :)

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #3,657 of 11,341
Going back to plugs, those Pearstone connectors don't seem easily available in the UK and I would have to get them shipped from the USA however I found some very promising connectors made by a German company called Hicon they are the highest rated plug on Thomson (with 68 raitings) so they must be pretty decent. Here is a link for anyone interested:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/hicon_hi_j35s_screw_m.htm

What do you think? I might just buy one to see the quality of them.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #3,658 of 11,341
This is my first premium headphone above $1K but have had and tried many others and I think the Z1R is the most comfortable I have ever worn. Sony headphones are generally always fairly comfortable but this is on another level.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #3,659 of 11,341
This is my first premium headphone above $1K but have had and tried many others and I think the Z1R is the most comfortable I have ever worn. Sony headphones are generally always fairly comfortable but this is on another level.

Yeash, it disappeared when you have it on...until you try to lay in bed with it on :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back