The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #3,526 of 11,341

Somehow my brain got the Z1R permanently linked to two other releases tho, I don't know why, probably because I got them at about the same time I got the Z1R or shortly before, and both sounded great, that rare "WHOAAA" feeling you get every few years when you find a great gear<>music combo. I keep mentioning them all the time so you probably know already. One is Macy's "Stripped" and other is Menago's "Little Crimes", both on Chesky. These two sound great on any headphones, but are epic on the Z1R. If you don't have them, I recommend you bump them to the top of the list, they're worth the pennies and even if you don't like the music, they're top tier albums to demo equipment.

Still listening to Spiritchaser... (had to play it after thinking about it). Good fun. The Z1R lacks that ridiculous wide distance that the 800S allow, a lot of air that is pleasant in several tracks of this album, but somehow, it all combines very well...drums, guitars and vocals, the more intimate but still impressively wide soundstage (for closed cans)... it's just a warmer, more intimate foot-tappin' type of fun.

It is a great album from many perspectives. It was recorded at a Church in Ireland which may help explain some of the yummy quality from an album recorded in 1996. Funny, when I listen to it I also get a distinct feeling that the music is also inspired by First Nations of North America. Anyway glad you enjoyed it. I will see if I can find Menago's album on Flacit.com.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #3,527 of 11,341
  I personally really like the A800. It isn't going to tear down $1500 headphones, but for well less money it will get you only a few rows back of the best seats. I'm not sure if they are easily available in your neck of the woods, let me know if you do find them.

I don't think they're imported around here, but do look interesting. The packaging has a certain Sony feeling to it, side shot of the drivers on white background, etc. I have to say I like their minimalistic/simple design a lot. Not as nice as the Z1R, but definitely "simple in a good way" (if you ignore the golden)

How would you describe their sound compared to something open higher on the scale, like the Elear or 800S, or even a good closed model?

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #3,528 of 11,341

I don't think they're imported around here, but do look interesting. The packaging has a certain Sony feeling to it, side shot of the drivers on white background, etc.
How would you describe their sound compared to something open higher on the scale, like the Elear or 800S, or even a good closed model?

I would say the A800 is certainly warmer than the 800S, it doesn't have the crystal clarity and spine tingling transients of the 800S, but it is not far off the mark. For sure the 800S is more accomplished where all aspects of soundstage and imaging are concerned, that is no surprise, but despite that the A800 does hold it's own against the more recent open backs I have had (LCD 2F, HE 560 and HE 400i). I haven't been using it lately as I'm trying to get a handle on the H900M, but perhaps tonight I'll reacquaint myself with it.

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #3,529 of 11,341
For anyone who hasn't pre ordered these new there is an Amazon Warehouse unit in the UK for £1245 at the moment. Says minor cosmetic damage, no idea how extensive that is though so be aware.

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #3,531 of 11,341

For anyone who hasn't pre ordered these new there is an Amazon Warehouse unit in the UK for £1245 at the moment. Says minor cosmetic damage, no idea how extensive that is though so be aware.

I feel like this could be the one that had a dent on the earcups, which was posted earlier in the thread.

Well it seems to have been sold, so it's moot now. It showed up in the Warehouse Deals section earlier, now it's gone. Mentioned something about a cosmetic defect though, so you could be right.

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #3,532 of 11,341
Hi, I purchased the MDR Z1R for £1,330 from Amazon UK. It has been sent from Germany it seems and is due to arrive today! It was originally selling for £1,700 on Amazon UK from another supplier (MP3 something I believe) - which I purchased, and then cancelled as an hour later there was another listing for £1,330! (20% cheaper). The one I cancelled has been returned to Amazon, so should show up again in a day or two.

Anyway, I purchased mine for £1,330 and they arrive today. Not sure if this has been covered in the forum, but how do these sound with the Sony NW-ZX2 walkman? Anyone know?

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #3,533 of 11,341
Hi, I purchased the MDR Z1R for £1,330 from Amazon UK. It has been sent from Germany it seems and is due to arrive today! It was originally selling for £1,700 on Amazon UK from another supplier (MP3 something I believe) - which I purchased, and then cancelled as an hour later there was another listing for £1,330! (20% cheaper). The one I cancelled has been returned to Amazon, so should show up again in a day or two.

Anyway, I purchased mine for £1,330 and they arrive today. Not sure if this has been covered in the forum, but how do these sound with the Sony NW-ZX2 walkman? Anyone know?

Sounds good from Zx2 :D. It can not shine as well out of Zx2 as in comparison to other such as the new Walkman or a desktop rig, but if you use TRRS 3.5. It sounds absolutely stunning enough.

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3,535 of 11,341

My preorder is on £ 1,355.21 or less from 12-DEC-2016. Maybe I am lucky and the British Gouvernement does something to give me an even better exchange rate on the Euro. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #3,536 of 11,341
The MDR-Z1R and Hugo TT are wonderful together.  This is the first time I've used Bluetooth between the Hugo TT and my MacBookPro, very surprised at the SQ with the Bluetooth connection.

MacBookPro -> (Bluetooth) -> Hugo TT -> (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 SE 1/4) -> MDR-Z1R

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #3,537 of 11,341
  The MDR-Z1R and Hugo TT are wonderful together.  This is the first time I've used Bluetooth between the Hugo TT and my MacBookPro, very surprised at the SQ with the Bluetooth connection.

MacBookPro -> (Bluetooth) -> Hugo TT -> (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 SE 1/4) -> MDR-Z1R

Bluetooth is great, certainly apt x codec.

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #3,538 of 11,341
Hard to believe that North America agents are getting so badly handled by Sony. Z1R stock to the best of my knowledge hasn't gone out to dealers yet. So Sony releases in Asia and Europe (not sure how extensive the release was in terms of total units) but now with Christmas shopping North American dealers have no stock. By the time they do receive stock people are looking at nasty holiday credit card bills or depleted bank accounts and they will often pass on a big expense for a while until they pay down debt or save money. Why Sony didn't really push harder to get units ready for the holiday season is beyond me. I know at the price point it sells for the z1R wasn't going to be a huge gift item, but December would have helped sales for sure and January stock movement will be sluggish I suspect, although sometimes there is a bump with Christmas gift money circulating.

Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, but not having December inventory in the hands of dealers is in my mind a huge mistake. I will admit that such an item may be the exception as opposed to the rule. Perhaps those who can buy it, can do so just as easily in January as December.

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3,539 of 11,341

Hard to believe that North America agents are getting so badly handled by Sony. Z1R stock to the best of my knowledge hasn't gone out to dealers yet. So Sony releases in Asia and Europe (not sure how extensive the release was in terms of total units) but now with Christmas shopping North American dealers have no stock. By the time they do receive stock people are looking at nasty holiday credit card bills or depleted bank accounts and they will often pass on a big expense for a while until they pay down debt or save money. Why Sony didn't really push harder to get units ready for the holiday season is beyond me. I know at the price point it sells for the z1R wasn't going to be a huge gift item, but December would have helped sales for sure and January stock movement will be sluggish I suspect, although sometimes there is a bump with Christmas gift money circulating.

Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, but not having December inventory in the hands of dealers is in my mind a huge mistake. I will admit that such an item may be the exception as opposed to the rule. Perhaps those who can buy it, can do so just as easily in January as December.

Yes, it's a bit surprising. Stock round these parts (Malaysia/Southeast Asia in general) seems to be available again, after the initial shipments sold out faster than expected (or so my local Sony contacts tell me), I'd have assumed it would be the same in the US as well. North America would expect a sales surge in December, for Asia it will be in January (Chinese New Year holidays), so might have made more sense to go the other way. But what do I know, I certainly don't work for one of the biggest consumer electronics manufacturers in the world, I'm sure there's lots of stuff I'm not privy to 
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #3,540 of 11,341
^ Yes I suspect there are regional variations in sales, and perhaps those markets just seemed to be the more important markets to hit the ground in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back