The official record-cleaning fetish thread!
Nov 9, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #106 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigshot
Yes. I used to pay a record store to clean my records. It was a waste of money. I'd rather buy music than pay someone to hose it off for me.

I suppose it's also worth pointing out that 78 RPM as opposed to Microgroove records have slightly wider grooves and are much more fragile so hand washing is probably safer as some of these machines exert forces which could easily crack them. However with microgroove records I think the machines have come a long way since the '80s so may be worth rechecking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wet weasel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then bring forth the paper towels! Yeehaw!
I have nothing in principle against vacuum machines. I would like to get one though that has an inherent zero-vinyl-contact design. Equally important: the vacuum feature should slurp solvent, NOT blow-dry it. Which machines qualify? (Opinions please?)
I'd be a bit insecure about transferring abrasives from record to machine to record.

I think they all make contact with the vinyl to some degree or else the cleaning wouln't happen. The Nitty Gritty minimises contact by just supporting the label and rotating via a capstan drive at the periphery. Only the "lips" around the vacuum nozzle (which is a slit as wide as an LP) comes into contact and this uses a nylon pad with "microfibres" soaked in cleaning solution, which then drys during the vacuum cycle.

Moreover all these machines vacuum gunk out of the grooves, that is their raison d'etre. The Nitty Gritty design vacuums the whole disc simultaneously which does exert quite a lot of force. The cleaning pads therefore need to be cleaned between every record and changed regularly. They supply a fine wire brush for this and I also use a velour pad of the type used to remove fluff from suits. This is done with the vacuum running so any foreign matter is simply sucked away.

A lot of other designs use an arm which swings over the record and sucks up the gunk via a nozzle with greater or lesser degrees of directionality. The Lorricraft seems to be the best designed of these and doesn't actually come into contact as it does so, rather it hovers just a few millimetres above the surface tracing the groove like a stylus.

Once the cleaning is done it's really desirable to put the records into fresh sleeves of the Nagaoka or Goldring variety which are non abrasive and antistatic. I havn't really experienced any problems with static but airborn dust in London is a major issue, so the battle is constant.

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #107 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<turns coin over>

I'm assuming this is along the lines of "I've never properly compared the cables to cheap ones, but I know they're better"?

Why would you assume this? I have owned cheap and expensive cables and I've properly A/B'd them.

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #108 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that our records are clean (presumably), does anyone take measures to ensure they stay that way? I haven't seen much discussion on products like the Milty Anti-Static gun, the use of a dust cover, storage techniques (anti-static sleeves, zip-lock bags, etc.), or environmental dust and humidity controls. What else does everyone do to keep their vinyl in its cleanest possible state? I live in an extremely dusty environment, so surface cleaning is only part of it all for me.

I use the Milty, also it is very important to use anti-static sleeves. I do my best to keep my room free of dust, which includes using a HEPA filter, monthly steam cleaning of the carpet with a cleaner you can buy for $150 and dusting of all surfaces (including walls and ceiling) with a good duster. Finally, a dust cover is a necessity... try a turntable that has a hinged cover so you can use it while the record is playing.

Dust is a huge problem where I live. You have to be very proactive about it.

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #109 of 130
wet weasel;3423070 I have nothing in principle against vacuum machines. I would like to get one though that has an inherent zero-vinyl-contact design. Equally important: the vacuum feature should slurp solvent said:
If I correctly understand what you mean by zero-vinyl-contact, I think the Loricraft or the machine it was cloned from (the Keith Monk) would be up your alley... they use a very cool nylon thread contact system in which the thread is the only thing that makes contact with the record and is never used twice, ie there is zero chance of cross-contamination.

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #110 of 130
Bringing back a slightly old thread here, but it occurs to me that assuming 100% honesty and integrity of members here, why not upload a 320 kbps 30 second MP3 extract of an LP cleaned by whatever is your preferred method?

I would seriously like to hear the sonic result of an LP playing directly after it has been pulled off a vacuum machine. I would also like to hear the result of a sponged vinegar record. Not because I wish to use that method, but because Steve believes it is as good as a Nitty Gritty or VPI machine.

I am sure honest people will not be tempted to do any sort of post transcription processing to reduce the true level of surface noise digitally or by any other means apart from their preferred cleaning method
biggrin.gif

I am curious about vacuuming because I have had it done but it was not any better than the manual (admittedly very laborious) method that I use. It certainly sucks the record dry very quickly without touching it, but that seemed to be the only advantage - very quick drying versus the 30 minutes or so required for my manual method.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #111 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bringing back a slightly old thread here, but it occurs to me that assuming 100% honesty and integrity of members here, why not upload a 320 kbps 30 second MP3 extract of an LP cleaned by whatever is your preferred method?

I would seriously like to hear the sonic result of an LP playing directly after it has been pulled off a vacuum machine. I would also like to hear the result of a sponged vinegar record. Not because I wish to use that method, but because Steve believes it is as good as a Nitty Gritty or VPI machine.

I am sure honest people will not be tempted to do any sort of post transcription processing to reduce the true level of surface noise digitally or by any other means apart from their preferred cleaning method
biggrin.gif

I am curious about vacuuming because I have had it done but it was not any better than the manual (admittedly very laborious) method that I use. It certainly sucks the record dry very quickly without touching it, but that seemed to be the only advantage - very quick drying versus the 30 minutes or so required for my manual method.

Bring back a slightly old thread here to reply, I would be willing to do this if I had a vacuum cleaner
biggrin.gif

I have our Rega Planar 3 running to the computer (phono stage in between of course) and have successfully recorded a sample from DSOTM LP. It had many many clicks and noise so I tried cleaning it with a proper record cleaning brush and fluid, and found no difference between the clean and the unclean recording.

iZotope RX audio restoration software worked MUCH better
biggrin.gif

Oh also, instead of buying an expensive record vacuum cleaning machine why not just get a normal home vacuum cleaner and hold above your record while it is spinning on the turntable?

Jan 13, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #112 of 130
Alright, I finally got a record cleaner (16.5) and want to make my own solution. I picked up some 99.9% pure alcohol and need to find some pure water and photo flo. Can anyone tell me the formula to mix these things together please and sources? VPI says no more than 25% alcohol.... Any help would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #113 of 130
Johnsonad - YGPM.

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #114 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bring back a slightly old thread here to reply, I would be willing to do this if I had a vacuum cleaner
biggrin.gif

I have our Rega Planar 3 running to the computer (phono stage in between of course) and have successfully recorded a sample from DSOTM LP. It had many many clicks and noise so I tried cleaning it with a proper record cleaning brush and fluid, and found no difference between the clean and the unclean recording.

iZotope RX audio restoration software worked MUCH better
biggrin.gif

Oh also, instead of buying an expensive record vacuum cleaning machine why not just get a normal home vacuum cleaner and hold above your record while it is spinning on the turntable?

Most likely much of the pops you are hearing - if your records are cleaned well - are static charges rather than dust.

Also using a vacuum on a turntable is a bad idea, largely due to the issues of cleaning fluids and electronics, but also due to the fact that a vacuum will place a large amount of friction on your record/platter which makes an already weak motor work much harder - many Rega owners give there tables an assisted start as it is due to this.

If you are looking for an inexpensive option buy a replacement VPI 16.5 upgrade arm, then go find a junker turntable and use the spindle and platter to make a great manual machine for less than $100. I built one for about $50 and found it to work better than a the Nitty Gritty I was using before it. Here's a picture.

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #115 of 130
I'm using a Nitty Gritty Model 1.5 FI and I'm mixing a bottle of VPI - RCM FLUID 1 OZ CONCENTRATE with 18 OZ Isopropyl alcohol (Isopropanol) with about 5 quart distilled water. This works fine by me.

Jan 13, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #116 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most likely much of the pops you are hearing - if your records are cleaned well - are static charges rather than dust.

99% of the pops I come across on LPs are the result of groove damage, not dirt or static. Even a brand new record can have flange in the groove that causes pops.

See ya
Steve

Jan 13, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #117 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even a brand new record can have flange in the groove that causes pops.

Even brand new records have to be cleaned! I'm cleaning my new records at least 2 times.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #118 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Hank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even brand new records have to be cleaned! I'm cleaning my new records at least 2 times.

I agree. It is essential you clean off the mold release compound from new records. It will make them sound all the better.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #119 of 130
So my VPI 16.5 does not have a drain..... It must be an older model. Does anyone else have this same issue? I'm going to install a drain but need to find a tap of some sort for the bottom of the drainage container. Any recommendations?

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #120 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my VPI 16.5 does not have a drain..... It must be an older model. Does anyone else have this same issue? I'm going to install a drain but need to find a tap of some sort for the bottom of the drainage container. Any recommendations?

You should have one. That hose coming out of the side... loosen up the clamp and hold the machine sideways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back