The official record-cleaning fetish thread!
Jan 15, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #121 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have one. That hose coming out of the side... loosen up the clamp and hold the machine sideways.

Nope, took it apart, not even a place for a hose.

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #122 of 130
I dug up an old Onkyo direct-drive turntable from the garage but while trying to figure out how to get the platter spinning (turns out you just swing the arm across...) I broke the needle on the stylus
frown.gif

Not too much of an issue as it probably wouldn't be a very good turntable.

But couldn't I just turn the whole turntable into a cleaning device? Just attach a cheap vacuum thing to the side with a tubing thingy? Since it's direct drive doesn't that mean the spinning mechanism can take more pressure and is less likely to get warn out so I can use it for that?

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #123 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, took it apart, not even a place for a hose.

That is weird. Mine also comes with a hose. Maybe you should give VPI a call.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #124 of 130
Got an interesting reply for VPI:
"We do not have any tanks that will fit the older machines anymore that are field installable, it is not an item that ever fails so it didn't need replacement parts. Tell the customer to polyurethane the interior of the machine to completely seal it and if he really wants a tank and drain tube he would need to send the unit back to us to have it installed. Personally, I would seal the unit with the poly, glue a large sponge in the bottom of the well, and use the machine."

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #125 of 130
In a large spray bottle, i use 3 parts distilled water, 1 part Alcohol,4-6 drops of Dawn blue dish soap. And 3 drops of JetDry. Shake and spray on
Use a soft cosmetic brush to spread. Then vac. Spray rinse plain wager and shopvac again. And thats it. The sbop vac nozzle has been modified and covered with
Micro fibre cloth as to not scratch record.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #127 of 130
In a large spray bottle, i use 3 parts distilled water, 1 part Alcohol,4-6 drops of Dawn blue dish soap. And 3 drops of JetDry. Shake and spray on
Use a soft cosmetic brush to spread. Then vac. Spray rinse plain wager and shopvac again. And thats it. The sbop vac nozzle has been modified and covered with
Micro fibre cloth as to not scratch record.

I use the same mix as you (minus the jet dry) and I built my own RCM using an ice cream motor, platter, shop vac and VPI wand....

Pictures below and a VIDEO of it here (one note - I do NOT use the Grooveglide anymore but did in the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYU2eWRNH54

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #128 of 130
Great design,but would never use alcohol or Jet Dry on an LP. Jet Dry is a water spot remover for glass dishes and is very acidic.

Alcohol in my opinion is one f the most damaging chemicals to apply on vinyl.My Blog below teaches what and what not to use as I've been an LP collector for 30 years.I'm not selling anything on here so this isn't an ad

http://cleaningvinyllps.blogspot.com/

I get a lot of slack from woodglue and steam cleaning advocates,my response? To err is human,if you want to destroy your collection I'm not stopping you.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #129 of 130
    Ok, Ok?  I've read this thread with some amusement. Last year I purchased and used a Spin Clean $125 with astonishingly good results.  It works great at cleaning dust.  I have found that records need to be cleaned more often than I want to break out the Spin Clean though.  Ya know dust is not the only culprit, add in mildew, fungus, spit from talking while cuing up an album, beer, and whatever else has gotten in the grooves and needs to be cleaned out.  That is why I have made a huge investment this year.  Ready?  Audio Desk.  
   Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my scratched recording of Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones.  Some recordings on the other hand need to be black.

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #130 of 130
Hello all,
Not sure if there are still subscribers to the thread with good results for cleaning methods, but can I ask the veterans for a top 5 or 10 list for cleaning methods starting from. The cheapest alternative to more expensive ones? Sort of a guide for the top recommended methods with an estimated price tag.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.s. I have already gone through all the pages in the thread.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back