The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Oct 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #557 of 1,043
Picked up The Last Story for Wii a while ago (along with Darksiders II for WiiU).

Too damn addicting!  I love Final Fantasy games (played 1-9 but haven't finished 2) and this one feels just like one, but with better story line and gameplay, hahaha!  The Auto-attack is annoying me, though, and is my only minor gripe so far, but I can usually get around it using a few skills.  Edit: auto-attack can be set to manual in the options at any time.  The battle system gives the impression that they tried make it more like Zelda/Darksiders or so. So far, no summon beings like in FF, but one has been hinted at by a book inside of the game.

It will probably only come out when the plot calls for it, it seems.

Hahahaha, oh wow, one of the villains looks like Ganondorf's long-lost brother!  I'm not sure whether to be pleased or mildly disappointed by this unexpected surprise in aesthetic design.

Lastly, Mirania best girl.  =D

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #558 of 1,043
Last Story was awesome.   Great battle system and characters, with a lively city too.    But it was more of a part of an RPG than a full RPG.    Basically it was like the first disc of a PSX FF... so I didn't the story was as good as it could have been but I still enjoy it.

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #561 of 1,043
Honestly Atelier series is nice
probably not enough action for Western players

The PS2 titles did have more action. The PS3 ones are almost SoL in comparison. At least the Arland series was; I did not get Ayesha and the next one that followed.

I think the problem might be more the lack of clear story progressing events for Western Players. I mean, you had to unlock flags to progress in the story otherwise the time just goes by and you don't get very far story-wise.

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #562 of 1,043
Just bought Ys: Memories of Celceta on the PSVita. I'm in need of a JRPG, and all the good ones aren't coming out until around February, so I wanted one in the meantime. Liked the first one, though it was a bit simplistic. I still have Ys II on Steam, but I kinda want something not so simple.

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #563 of 1,043
I still need to play through I, II, Oath in Felghana and Origin one of these days.

The only reason I had any idea Celceta was out is that one of my friends just started gushing about how much he wanted it after seeing this screenshot:

(Yes, said friend simply cannot resist the allure of adorable things.)

I still don't have a Vita to play it on, but that Amazon deal is tempting me a little. I've actually planned to get a Vita for a while now, if only because I'd like to run my PSM SDK projects through something better than the included simulator and I'd prefer to have one with the OLED screen.

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #565 of 1,043
that right, I don't understand why people had issues with it. That game is classic. Other than Sarah and Lymle's voices, the game was stellar. Had to re buy it for the PS3, since it has the Japanese voice option. Lymle sounds much better,thank you
11.gif

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #566 of 1,043
You mist be replying to some old post, hahah. Star Ocean 4.... loooove it.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #567 of 1,043
Okay, I did the insane thing a couple days ago and plunked down on Ys Celceta anyway...and again, I don't even have a Vita yet. (I'm keeping an eye out for good deals with a 32 GB memory card included.)

I suppose this gives me a bit of motivation to clear out that portion of my Steam backlog.

Meanwhile, some guys in the uni game room here are beating up things in Tales of Xillia. I'm not even sure where to begin with this franchise, though I do have a GCN copy of Symphonia still collecting dust, yet to be played...

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #568 of 1,043
  Okay, I did the insane thing a couple days ago and plunked down on Ys Celceta anyway...and again, I don't even have a Vita yet. (I'm keeping an eye out for good deals with a 32 GB memory card included.)

I suppose this gives me a bit of motivation to clear out that portion of my Steam backlog.

Meanwhile, some guys in the uni game room here are beating up things in Tales of Xillia. I'm not even sure where to begin with this franchise, though I do have a GCN copy of Symphonia still collecting dust, yet to be played...

LAWL. I'd do the same thing when the limited edition P4G was released, but unfortunately I did not have any helper to help me purchasing it at that time.

The sellers in my country provide top ups to increase memory card storage. Like adding $100 scores you a 64GB. Considering the prices here, it's pretty reasonable.

Don't worry about that. Like FF series, none of them have any relation. At leasts from what I read and people told me. And Xillia is supposed to be the best in the series yet?

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #569 of 1,043
I suppose the reason I jumped the gun on Ys Celceta...well, let's face it, JRPGs have this nasty habit of fetching stupid high prices sooner than expected.

Suikoden II, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Xenoblade...need I go on?

Don't worry about that. Like FF series, none of them have any relation. At leasts from what I read and people told me. And Xillia is supposed to be the best in the series yet?

That's probably up for a LOT of contention, possibly even sparking a few flame wars if you're not careful.

The most outspoken fans of specific games (analogous to those favoring FFVI vs. those favoring FFVII) seem to be those for Phantasia and Symphonia, followed somewhat closely by Vesperia. (Speaking of which, why the hell didn't they bring over the PS3 version of Vesperia? It's kinda jarring given Graces f, Xillia and the upcoming Symphonia compilation.) How much of that is simple nostalgia in action, I don't know.

At the student center, though, I've only seen people play Destiny, Abyss and Xillia. (There was even a strange coincidence when I saw a couple of people beating up the final boss of Abyss, then I go back there one or two days later and someone else is watching that game's anime adaptation.)

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #570 of 1,043
Someone finally put up an FAQ of Ys on gamefaqs, so I better get started. I like to play with FAQs, as I hate missing anything, and I don't tend to replay my JRPGs.

As for Xillia being the best Tales, not even close...

For me, the best one story-wise is Vesperia (Yuri Lowell is quite possibly the best main protagonist in any JRPG ever), and gameplay-wise, Graces F. I loved Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, and Abyss. I didn't give Symphonia a real chance back in the day, so I'll be getting the HD port when it comes out soon.

I loved Xillia, but man, what a horrible level design. The environments were sooooo bland, samey, and super linear. Only a few places were nice to look at, like the town Jude and Milla met. Pretty much every field map was the same. All the seahavens ARE the same.

If there is one thing I love anbout JRPGs, it's the world they take place in. The vistas, the locales, etc. Xillia felt like I was in the same places throughout the whole game, only in different seasons. No real variation at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back