The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #406 of 1,043
Quote:
Translate them YOURSELF. :-3
If you can devote so much time and energy towards headphones and other stuff, you can certainly learn the language yourself. No more hoping for translations as you wouldn't need them! ;p
It's worked out well for me. Video games were the reason why I picked up Japanese in the first place. The ironic thing is that I don't have any current-gen consoles. But there's still plenty of old games (on PC and older consoles that I do have) that I didn't/couldn't played before. And for all intents and purposes, they're just like new games. So it's all good...

yea your right actually... I could... and proably will... at some point... 

I did how ever take JP class online an it SUCKED pretty hard... but that being said... I'll stink with English stuff... Im in COllege to busy learning how to Cook not enough mental time for learning a new language... which btw is a little harder than learning about head phones.... 

BUT OMG if i could Read Japanese...I could buy JAPANESE HEAD PHONES IN JAPAN :D [and know what was being said on le labels!] 

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #409 of 1,043

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #410 of 1,043
Quote:
Lol you can demo a good number of headphones in Japan so you don't even need to know how to read the labels
tongue.gif
your ears will do the job

Ofc, and I'm totally learning Japanese... got the Rosetta Stone Lvl's 1-3 for Japanese so I'm going to LEARN :3

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #411 of 1,043
Quote:
Ofc, and I'm totally learning Japanese... got the Rosetta Stone Lvl's 1-3 for Japanese so I'm going to LEARN :3

I'm starting to learn too. I'm am learning the most from Japanese 101 website, along with Ken Cannon over at learnjapanesethroughanime. Can sign up and watch his intro and he will send a few vids out every so often via email. works well!

Also this helps more with grammer too rather then Ross. Stone which seems to teach rehearsed lines rather then actually learning the language. 

cheers

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #412 of 1,043
Quote:
I'm starting to learn too. I'm am learning the most from Japanese 101 website, along with Ken Cannon over at learnjapanesethroughanime. Can sign up and watch his intro and he will send a few vids out every so often via email. works well!

Also this helps more with grammer too rather then Ross. Stone which seems to teach rehearsed lines rather then actually learning the language. 

cheers

Then I might do both <3 thanks

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #414 of 1,043

Hehe, gogo guys! Do it!
But yeah, I learned mine playing games... specially visual novels; practically everything is read out to you, you just figure out the pronunciation of kanjis' based on the hiraganas around them.
It's not like I understand 100% of what's being said, or written in games like Atelier Rorona/Totori/Meruru, but I get most everything important. Nouns are still a bit out there.

But yeah, did Rosetta Stone update their stuff? Many years ago I tried it out but man... it was impossible.
"Onnanoko" "Otokonoko"
BUT THEY DRESS SO LATE 80s EARLY 90s, BOYS AND GIRLS WEAR SAME CLOTHES AND HAVE SAME HAIRCUTS AND STILL TOO YOUNG TO MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!!!!

Lol... yeah. That did not go very far.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #415 of 1,043
Hehe, gogo guys! Do it!
But yeah, I learned mine playing games... specially visual novels; practically everything is read out to you, you just figure out the pronunciation of kanjis' based on the hiraganas around them.
It's not like I understand 100% of what's being said, or written in games like Atelier Rorona/Totori/Meruru, but I get most everything important. Nouns are still a bit out there.

I'll second that. Voiced visual novels and other similar games with voice + text (the Summon Night series, the Disgaea series, Final Fantasy X, etc.) are great for reinforcing what you've learned and picking up some new words. You can also take your time to digest the text, something you can't do easily with speech. As in English, native speakers will speak Japanese much faster in real-life conversations than in video game recordings. And when you're starting out, even video game recordings can seem a bit fast. Sacred Blaze was pretty accommodating about it if I recall. I think it had a feature to let you replay the line just spoken.

If you're having problems starting off, a formal introductory course at a college or language center would be a great start. Once you have the basics (pronunciation, kana, basic kanji, and basic grammar) learned, you can set off on your own.

Jisho.org is a great resource for looking up words. It also includes technical words and casual words. You can enter English and look for a word in Japanese. For Japanese, there's multiple options to enter it (kana/kanji, Hepburn romanization, Kunrei romanization).

@kalbee:
Heh heh... nouns are easy to work with but there are probably more of them than any other part of speech. I don't have 100% proficiency either, but it's enough to understand things. Very few people I know have native speaker level proficiency in their non-native languages without having to use it on a near-daily basis. The important part is being able to learn new words yourself, just as you would in your own native language.

@Mshenay:
I think what makes people think learning a new language is hard is the "payoff time". It's like a jigsaw puzzle. You can work at it bits and pieces on various parts. But until you get a lot of it done, you're not going to see the picture.

In other news, Gung Ho Online Entertainment could be releasing stuff into English. The Black/Matrix bit brings back memories.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #419 of 1,043
Well, I'm getting a tube tommorow and there's a lot I need to learn about it so I'm afraid Audiophile DIY might replace my japnese learning time >.>, b there an app that teaches basic eletronics xD 

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #420 of 1,043
Oooooooo... Tuuuuuuubes!! Which ones?
Pretty sure you can find some sort of app for that, though insides are probably lecture notes (good enough). Though frankly may not end up teaching you so much about it.

When strapped without furigana, buy a Japanese electronic dictionary that supports hand writing functions. Forgot how much mine costed (about $100 maybe? Or less) but it was money well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back