The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Nov 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #392 of 1,043
Dragon Nest reminds me of Dungeon Fighter...
Anyone tried Phantasy Star Online 2?

I did.
It was pretty fun. Until you were required to beat some missions that were just ridiculously hard unless you really really overlevel.
Not that the monster is hard, rather you had to beat the stage (random map+monsters+mini missions) AND it's boss within a time limit. Okay for some bosses but the one I got to was a cowardly dragon that would run away or hide in the ground... eats up plenty of time. I ask someone to come with me and yay now I gotta face TWO of those dragons.
Maybe I just suxxed but I never got past that and stopped playing xD

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #393 of 1,043
Does PSO2 have that same gameplay crap from it's PSP counter part? The PSP version is seriously full of crap

Have to beat monsters that is way above your level? Reminds me of MapleStory

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #394 of 1,043
Not way above my level.

It's because each stage is randomly generated to some extent. Like they have variations in maps, and even if they do not, there's random generated events.

Like sometimes when you travel to a certain spot you will suddenly be ambushed by a bunch of monsters as an event. Or you get a supply crate. Other times in the same map and mission, the same location will have nothing at all. Many random events will actually seal you inside that area of the map until you complete it.

And in those time-bound missions very often you get stuck with random events that have those barriers... and then bugs on minimap also don't help you solve the events any faster.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #395 of 1,043
Quote:
Not way above my level.
It's because each stage is randomly generated to some extent. Like they have variations in maps, and even if they do not, there's random generated events.
Like sometimes when you travel to a certain spot you will suddenly be ambushed by a bunch of monsters as an event. Or you get a supply crate. Other times in the same map and mission, the same location will have nothing at all. Many random events will actually seal you inside that area of the map until you complete it.
And in those time-bound missions very often you get stuck with random events that have those barriers... and then bugs on minimap also don't help you solve the events any faster.

Sounds like crap.. Now I'm not sure if I ever wanna play that game anymore...

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #396 of 1,043
Well it's... Phantasy Star Online.
Still plays somewhat the same way but more fluid and more fun. Still gets really repetitive.

Just to say that of the people I knew playing that game I was probably one of the few that was stuck and unable to proceed in that mission. So frankly I probably just sucked at the game, or my gears were really not up to par.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #397 of 1,043
Does PSO2 have that same gameplay crap from it's PSP counter part? The PSP version is seriously full of crap

Have to beat monsters that is way above your level? Reminds me of MapleStory

Remember it isn't World of Warcraft (and other such games) where accuracy and evasion are largely determined by targeting. Phantasy Star Online 2 and other such games require you to physically move your character to avoid attacks. Thus, enemies significantly above your level aren't as bad. Killing them would still take a bit longer though.

@kalbee:
Lag wasn't an issue for you? My biggest problem playing the game is my craptastic lag since I live pretty much antipodal to where the servers are located. And on top of that, I have a crap connection.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #398 of 1,043
Quote:
Remember it isn't World of Warcraft (and other such games) where accuracy and evasion are largely determined by targeting. Phantasy Star Online 2 and other such games require you to physically move your character to avoid attacks. Thus, enemies significantly above your level aren't as bad. Killing them would still take a bit longer though.
@kalbee:
Lag wasn't an issue for you? My biggest problem playing the game is my craptastic lag since I live pretty much antipodal to where the servers are located. And on top of that, I have a crap connection.

I'm not talking about the combat system. I'm OK with it, but not much
It's just that map thing and enemies AI and some explained by Kalbee

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #399 of 1,043
@kalbee:

Lag wasn't so bad. Most of the time I don't feel it. It feels like while the server might be hosted elsewhere, individual missions are probably more host-dependent... I could be wrong though.
Connection to Japan when it comes to MMO somehow is not bad. Based on my location you can see it's pretty far too but I can attest that I tend to have better connection to Japan than I have to West Coast USA servers. Ironic, isn't it? considering the one at less than half the distance is slower. Reason why I cannot play stuff hosted by Nexon and etc.
There is definitely a delay, and damage will not show instantly but not bad enough to make it really displeasing.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #400 of 1,043
I'm not surprised that you'd have a better connection to Japan than to West Coast USA from where you are. Among what's considered to be the first world countries, Japan is one of the best in internet infrastructure and speeds whereas the USA is among one of the worst. Unfortunately for me, I live in the latter (New York City). So you can imagine how fun my connection is. I also played Shin Megami Tensei Imagine on the Japanese servers. It was made much more... "interesting" with the lag.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #401 of 1,043
Haha, don't worry Canada has worse internet in both prices and performance than the US AFAIK ^^;
Specially around my area. West Coast Canada seems to have much better pricing and performance overall.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #402 of 1,043
Quote:
Blade and Soul gameplay looks super boring.
Dragon Nest kills mouses lol.

Agree'd , Riaderz is also out and Dragon Nest has an event for a lvl 45 charecter with END game gear [literally they are giving out thousands of em e.e] that ends December 9'th, they got a 150% exp boost to so, I have a feeling they are about to explode the lvl cap and personally I still like the look of it
Quote:

You think so? Looks awesome to me though. Not to mention the girls~

That game looks too cartoon-y

Yea it does look wonky but... it's the ACTION I like! I've played beaufitiful looking games that where a bore fest [Aion...] So as long as it get 1920x1080 res and it's "current gen ish" I'm happy :3. But I do value graphics! More so in games like Metroid where exploration is as important as action
Quote:
I'm not surprised that you'd have a better connection to Japan than to West Coast USA from where you are. Among what's considered to be the first world countries, Japan is one of the best in internet infrastructure and speeds whereas the USA is among one of the worst. Unfortunately for me, I live in the latter (New York City). So you can imagine how fun my connection is. I also played Shin Megami Tensei Imagine on the Japanese servers. It was made much more... "interesting" with the lag.

<.< The us is pretty bad sadly... I would think Russia has some decent internet!

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #403 of 1,043

Some people got the game already, here's the demo video that plays if you don't touch the control for awhile while on the main menu. Mine hasn't shipped out yet.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #404 of 1,043
Why must you RIDICULE ME, those SRW OG games look aweosme but NO ONE TRANSLATES THEM q.q

Also Started playing Monster Hunter Tri again... me gusta <3

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #405 of 1,043
Why must you RIDICULE ME, those SRW OG games look aweosme but NO ONE TRANSLATES THEM q.q

Translate them YOURSELF. :-3

If you can devote so much time and energy towards headphones and other stuff, you can certainly learn the language yourself. No more hoping for translations as you wouldn't need them! ;p

It's worked out well for me. Video games were the reason why I picked up Japanese in the first place. The ironic thing is that I don't have any current-gen consoles. But there's still plenty of old games (on PC and older consoles that I do have) that I didn't/couldn't played before. And for all intents and purposes, they're just like new games. So it's all good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back