The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Nov 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #363 of 1,043
Hey guys, just want to ask if there is a good modern JRPG games that is recently released?
Ever since I'm replaying Suiko II on emulator, I'm trying to start over S III and S V and I'm running out of good JRPGs currently.

Also I prefer if it was on PC but for PS3 is fine too...

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #364 of 1,043
Quote:
Hey guys, just want to ask if there is a good modern JRPG games that is recently released?
Ever since I'm replaying Suiko II on emulator, I'm trying to start over S III and S V and I'm running out of good JRPGs currently.

Also I prefer if it was on PC but for PS3 is fine too...

uh... the entire Alchemy Sereis, with Mana Kheim and Alter Iris, I think that's like 5 games

btw you guys, are the Alchemy Games as SUPER long as the Disgaea and Phantom Brave are? I know some NIS developed games can get crazy long with Post Game Dugeons <3

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #365 of 1,043
uh... the entire Alchemy Sereis, with Mana Kheim and Alter Iris, I think that's like 5 games

btw you guys, are the Alchemy Games as SUPER long as the Disgaea and Phantom Brave are? I know some NIS developed games can get crazy long with Post Game Dugeons <3

Nope.

Can't speak for Phantom Brave as I never played it extensively, but Disgaea is uber long. I've sunk through hundreds of hours already and I still am not that far into the post game dungeons. In fact I might still be at the doorstep. The actual game story on the other hand is fairly short in comparison to the Alchemy games.

Now I don't know if AI1+2 has multiple endings as well. I've beaten AI2 with a good ending (not sure if it's the true end), didn't beat AI1 yet, and beat AI3 with good/normal end. The process in getting True End in AI3 was a huge pain in the behind, and I don't remember if it was supposedly long or just difficult (e.g. getting super rares), but it would most certainly drag the game on for another few hours of not dozen.

Now the more recent Alchemy games on PS3 (I speak for the Arland series, thus excluding Atelier Ayesha that I decided not to get) are time-limited so they certainly are not as long per say. In those 3 games you have to manage to activate as many events and etc., all the while getting items and synthesizing and leveling up in order to get more endings, ALL in the span of X years as stated by the game. True End might actually not be attainable in first playthrough. They're not as story-intensive either. Starts getting really fun once you pass a certain point, but then you're stuck with the dilemma of not having much playtime left. I personally never managed to get too far, or even beat more than 2 story bosses (since you gotta discover the points that continue the actual storyline).

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #366 of 1,043
Yeah OGs was originally released for the GBA as the first of its kind within the Super Robot Wars genre. (in that it had nothing but original characters, no Mazinger, no Code Geass, no Gundams in it)

I'm listing this because it's the first 2D (or 2.5D if you wanna go there) in HD for the PS3.

You can just GBA emulate and get Original Generation 1 and 2 for english.  Hell I can provide it if you want it.  (The stories good if you like a combination of warfare, hot blooded-ness aliens etc etc and very subtle hints of perverted humor)

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #367 of 1,043
Quote:
Yeah OGs was originally released for the GBA as the first of its kind within the Super Robot Wars genre. (in that it had nothing but original characters, no Mazinger, no Code Geass, no Gundams in it)

I'm listing this because it's the first 2D (or 2.5D if you wanna go there) in HD for the PS3.

You can just GBA emulate and get Original Generation 1 and 2 for english.  Hell I can provide it if you want it.  (The stories good if you like a combination of warfare, hot blooded-ness aliens etc etc and very subtle hints of perverted humor)

Well I don't really like GBA games tbh. THe Ps2's 2.5D games look AWESOME... like OMG run that in 1080p AWESOME... some one just needs to get off thier butt an translate them already

but thanks,

Also it's a shame to Hear the Alchemy Games r not UBER long. Phantom Brave was like Disgea... it was LONG the Post Game DUgeons took FOREVER. But how is Super Rare Hunting in Alchmey Sereis? An I might still play through D1 and D2 ... not 100% sure yet really

I take that back... I will NOT be playing Disgea e.e I have to many Tales Games to finish First... Including BOTH Symphonia's >.> An I'm not even sure I want to play the Second Symphonia game tbh... as the first one it pretty long with End Game Dugeons 

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #368 of 1,043
Well I don't quite remember the details but Atelier Iris 3's true end route required a really long series of jobs which involved some degree of difficulty to it also... so I decided not to do it. Mana Khemia series I've yet to touch, but yeah those PS3 ones are short and difficult to reach.

I generally don't bother with end game contents too much lol. Though I wonder which jRPG it was that unlocked a fighting game mode after beating the game (excluding Star Ocean 3, which isn't really end game per say)... I think it was a Tales title xD

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #369 of 1,043

Oh right I knew I forgot something.

Project X Zone for 3DS, includes characters from Capcom, Sega, and Banpresto.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #370 of 1,043
I downloaded the demo to Ragnarok Oddyssey for the Vita. I dunno, I've just never been a fan of MMO-ish JRPGs. The combat seems solid enough, but the map design feels generic. Same problem I had with Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops 1,2. They feel like maps made for PS1 games.

The game IS pretty, and I like the create a character being simple, and making very pretty looking characters. Create a characters tend to look HORRIBLE in games. Not so here.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #371 of 1,043
@Project X Zone:
My only problem with this kind of games is balancing issues.
Some attacks logically just has to do a lot more damage than others but they don't... lol
Though it's always cool to see awesome chars all get together. Whether or not it would make me want to play is a whole different story.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #372 of 1,043
@Project X Zone:
My only problem with this kind of games is balancing issues.
Some attacks logically just has to do a lot more damage than others but they don't... lol
Though it's always cool to see awesome chars all get together. Whether or not it would make me want to play is a whole different story.

I remember that with Namco x Capcom... actually, I think that applies to just about any crossover game.

Also, kalbee, maybe you're thinking of Xenogears? It had a two-player battling mini-game you unlock near the end of the game.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #373 of 1,043
I remember that with Namco x Capcom... actually, I think that applies to just about any crossover game.
Also, kalbee, maybe you're thinking of Xenogears? It had a two-player battling mini-game you unlock near the end of the game.

Yeah. This kind of game in general. I didn't specify Project X Zone :p

Hm... then maybe there are many games like that. Considering I never played Xenogears, I couldn't have known.
Maybe it was Tales of Destiny or something.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #374 of 1,043
@kalbee:
While it's not a JRPG, Street Fighter X Tekken is probably the only crossover game I can think of where the power levels are about equal (as opposed to the earlier Capcom vs. games). Still might be interesting to check out.

@MLE:
Has Vita finally started getting some good games for it?

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #375 of 1,043
Yes, but it could do with more. Still doesn't have anything I deem a must have. For other people, sure. It takes a lot for me to buy a game though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back