The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Oct 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #346 of 1,043
Quote:
A one week old news said that the PS3 is now hacked for good. I'm actually sad of this news. Eventhough they can hack the PS3, but even getting an empty BD is quite expensive, although not as expensive as the real game. Heck, not everyone has a BD optical drive, let alone a BD burner. Their last hope is to store in the PS3 HDD

Oh well. I'll keep buying my PS3 games anyway. With GTA5, Ni no Kuni, FF13-3, MG Revengence and probably some more in the near future

Which reminds me this actually became a PS lair LOL

Yea kinda sad news. Soon (probably next holiday season) there will be a whole new console. Agreed on still buying games. I love supporting companies that make great games. Japan game companies need as much funding as they can as they already dont do to well in the USA. The more money they get the more we may see JRPGs coming back to the west. Almost 90% of games in Japan (RPGs) dont ever get a translation...which is really sad. I plan on starting to learn Japanese and going over there in a year or two once I graduate. AND I CANT WAIT FOR Ni no KUNI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #348 of 1,043
ooo~

Odin Sphere
GrimGrimoire
Disgaea
Persona series
Ar Tonelico series
Tales of the Abyss
Mana Khemia series (supposedly these beat Atelier Iris? I have the games but didn't play them yet so can't give my own comment)

were some of my favorites.
My repertoire is all the same genre almost, so can't really say much more than that...

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #349 of 1,043
Quote:
ooo~
Odin Sphere
GrimGrimoire
Disgaea
Persona series
Ar Tonelico series
Tales of the Abyss
Mana Khemia series (supposedly these beat Atelier Iris? I have the games but didn't play them yet so can't give my own comment)
were some of my favorites.
My repertoire is all the same genre almost, so can't really say much more than that...

sounds good, also if you have some exclusivly japanese jRpgs I'm sure there are english patches out there some where! 

mmm I love me some Turn Based jRpgs :D Ar Tonelco looks great ^^

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #350 of 1,043
I got myself 4/6 endings I think... I still need to get Aurica's good+bad ending, just too lazy to do it.
And Another set of endings in AT2. For AT2 be sure not to get the NISA release as there are bugs. There was a undubbed version that fixed a fatal bug at the last boss.
Turn based is fun :p Atelier Iris 2 was probably one of my favorite in that respect. For me, AI2 > AI1 (did not finish) > AI3 (did not get true end tooooooo long)

As far as exclusives go I also have Tales of Destiny Remastered/Director's Cut, which is the PS2 version of the first game but totally new graphics and all. I had more but they didn't leave much of an impression or I never got hooked enough, or just couldn't manage to get anywhere far enough in the game.

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #351 of 1,043
Xenosaga series (though the 2nd game had meh battle system, still worth playing for the story)
Star Ocean 3
Valkyrie Profile 2
Front Mission 4
Suikoden III, V (IV if you're a fan, skip if you aren't)

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #352 of 1,043
Quote:
I got myself 4/6 endings I think... I still need to get Aurica's good+bad ending, just too lazy to do it.
And Another set of endings in AT2. For AT2 be sure not to get the NISA release as there are bugs. There was a undubbed version that fixed a fatal bug at the last boss.
Turn based is fun :p Atelier Iris 2 was probably one of my favorite in that respect. For me, AI2 > AI1 (did not finish) > AI3 (did not get true end tooooooo long)
As far as exclusives go I also have Tales of Destiny Remastered/Director's Cut, which is the PS2 version of the first game but totally new graphics and all. I had more but they didn't leave much of an impression or I never got hooked enough, or just couldn't manage to get anywhere far enough in the game.

Oh it's not that bad. It's possible to beat without fixing the bug. I managed it. Though truth be told, I was already past that part when I learned about the bug.  Besides it's not a bug, it's a "feature"
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #353 of 1,043
Quote:
Xenosaga series (though the 2nd game had meh battle system, still worth playing for the story)
Star Ocean 3
Valkyrie Profile 2
Front Mission 4
Suikoden III, V (IV if you're a fan, skip if you aren't)

Oh yea, duh how could I forget Front Mission 4 >.> stupid me... the first on the SNES was awesome so the others should be as well [except for the second SNES one which was some stupid action game -.-] 

Gonna see if I can run the iso's at 60fps through my CD dvd drive... pretty sure I can but gonna shove Disgea 1&2 as a test! Sadly Disgea 1 is not that great... I played phantom brave first so I'm missing the feature it introduced me to there... also very MAD that Disgea 3&4 are not ps2 -.-... WHY THE FIX THE SPRITES... I like em when they look HARD CORE snes :D

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #355 of 1,043
Quote:
I like FM3 too, but the battles animations are SO slow, lol.

Not FM3 I'm talking about FM1... but yea 3 might be slow I dunno... one was pretty slow lol but ofc I had a speed frame so I could skip through

anyways, I also discovered that EVERY signle tRpg I got was in junction with NIS, so aside from Disega and Makai Kingdom I've got a BUNCH to go through lol... I played a little of Hoshigami as the DS but it was too slow for me as well... plus the story lacked comedy.

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #356 of 1,043
Oh I meant that i like FM3 TOO (in addition to me liking FM4) :wink:

Not a direct response to you.

I liked Disgaea, but those games have gotten overwhelming for me. Too much to do, not enough time. I'm not a big fan of Tactics style RPGs either, other than the GBA Fire Emblems.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #357 of 1,043
Quote:
Oh I meant that i like FM3 TOO (in addition to me liking FM4)
wink.gif

Not a direct response to you.
I liked Disgaea, but those games have gotten overwhelming for me. Too much to do, not enough time. I'm not a big fan of Tactics style RPGs either, other than the GBA Fire Emblems.

Please don't remind me of that,

although D2 is getting glitchy on me... might have to tone some setting down or something... I am playing it from an iso on a disc so who knows

but I ALMOST Finished ALL of Phantom Brave [came right after D1] but I've yet to trasure hunt the God Weps or kill the FINAL final boss... but 130 hours in I have a lot already done... D2 is good though :3

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #358 of 1,043
Some more PS2 Japanese SRPGs:

Suikoden Tactics
Eternal Poison (Atlus did the NA localization but there is no JP voice track, likely due to size constraints)
Stella Deus (from the Hoshigami people... even the titles have the same meaning: "star god")
Chaos Wars (I heard the US version has some... "epic" voice acting)
Ring of Red (SRPG hybird)
Blazing Souls
Spectral Souls 1 & 2
Summon Night 3 & 4 (1 & 2 are available on PSX and have been re-released on NDS; 3 has been re-released on PSP with 4's PSP re-release due out 15 November)
Dragon Shadow Spell
Sacred Blaze
Tear Ring Saga 2: Berwick Saga (yeah... they made a sequel to that game that's totally not Fire Emblem.)

Games from Blazing Souls and below do not have English releases (though Blazing Souls got a PSP re-release which did get an English release and Summon Night 3 & 4 may have had Chinese releases). I found the post-endgame content in most NIS games to be too grindy. Mostly I just went on until the repetition finally put me off.

On the PSP side...
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/07/aksys-shares-ragnarok-tactics-strategies-and-connections-to-ragnarok-online/

The Japanese literate, however, are probably waiting for Summon Night 5.

How's PSP emulation these days?

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #359 of 1,043
Oh nice :D, sadly though I just remembered that I have Need for speed UNdergound 2 with a High REsulution hack... so I'm about to start playing that again >.> still the ps2 roms will be enjoyed eventually :3

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #360 of 1,043
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq8A5Z5PmeQ&feature=fvwrel PV3 english subtitled
www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=xRgyGQLUqTY PV4 english subtitled

HNG FIRST STAGE ENGLISH SUBTITLED!  (well that sounded awkward)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back