The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Jul 7, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #197 of 1,043
Tales of Xillia was just recently announced for English speaking countries! WOOOOOOT.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #199 of 1,043
Quote:
What, so that people can pirate everything, and companies stop supporting the systems? Look what happened to the PSP. Like it or not, it was all the pirating that made companies stop bringing games to English speaking countries. The system sold well to a point, yet no games were selling. The Wii, as easily hackable as it is, didn't suffer much because it's a Nintendo system, so many people buy them for their kids, etc. The PSP was a teenagers/young adults portable console, and the exploit destroyed it's success very early.
I'm glad the Vita isn't hackable, and I hope it never is. If it is, you can kiss english games goodbye, as no company is gonna bring games out, since they know the game won't sell, and everyone is gonna pirate.
My PSP may be hacked, but I play nothing but old games, or games from dead systems. New PSP games, I buy and play on my Vita.

As a counterpoint, the Nintendo DS and PS2 are two of the easiest system to hack, and yet have sold fantastically well, and brought many JRPGs over to us.

At the same time, I agree with you that hacking is primarily used for piracy, and there's no real need for it except for old, abandoned systems.  Some would hack their consoles to play import games back in the day, but are games even region coded anymore?  I thought they did away with it, such that the only thing stopping you from importing would be the language barrier.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #201 of 1,043
The region-locking actually started with the DSi, so any DSi-enhanced games will be region-locked if run on a DSi or 3DS (but not the original DS or Lite).

I don't know why anyone thinks region-locking is a good idea to begin with, but at least most of what I want is coming Stateside, especially after Atlus announced they were localizing Code of Princess.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #202 of 1,043
Quote:
At the same time, I agree with you that hacking is primarily used for piracy, and there's no real need for it except for old, abandoned systems.  Some would hack their consoles to play import games back in the day, but are games even region coded anymore?  I thought they did away with it, such that the only thing stopping you from importing would be the language barrier.

Yes they are, depending on the console and the game. The 360 has games that are both region locked and some smaller number that are region free. And while the PS3 is generally region-free (yay!), for some reason it seems that P4U (or P4A) is going to be region locked
confused_face_2.gif
the first of its kind, and hopefully the only...

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #204 of 1,043
Xillia IS complete. Devs said that there were ideas that they wanted to implement, but couldn't. It happens a LOT with video games. The game isn't half assed. Of course, they'll probably go and do another version down the line, as it seems that they wanna remake older Tales games for the new age. Don't think Xillia is getting anything new for awhile.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #205 of 1,043
Oh ok.  It's just that it seemed like the mass majority were saying that it was an incomplete product so I wasn't sure as to where I should look to get my facts, but I'll take your word for it.  Regardless I was getting it too.  You beat Graces F by the way?

And... on a separate note.  Is that Stocking from Panty and Stocking >_>; ?

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #206 of 1,043
I beat Graces F ages ago. Loved it. Yeah, that's Stocking. :)

edit: WAS Stocking. XD

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #207 of 1,043
Huh, wasn't expecting to come across a JRPG thread here, but then again, I just found this place a couple days ago.  On a completely pointless, but relevant to the thread, point, I really wish Magical Vacation had made it to an english translation.  I've learned I just don't have the language skills to be able to learn japanese to play this game, and I'd find playing it alongside a huge text file of game translations too obnoxious to be enjoyable.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #208 of 1,043
Totally understandable. there are a million JRPGs I'd play, but wouldn't wanna sift through translated pages. That's too much back and forth.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #209 of 1,043
@mad lust envy
well,time to emulate it on my psp then.thanks for the info

btw,just want to confirm..xenosaga was a sequel to xenogears right?

I missed this post...

Xenosaga is the reimagining of Xenogears. The creators of Xenogears left Square, and made this game (through Namco). Xenosaga: Episode III REALLY, REALLY shows some Xenogears easter eggs, though somewhat subtle-like, since they can't officially use anything based off Xenogears.

The ones I remember...

-one of the characters looks like Citan
-one of the characters looks like Maria and Seibzhen (though in XSIII, the Seibzhen look-alike is actually human sized, but still controlled by the Maria look alike)
-the hardest secret boss is named Omega Id, and looks a lot like Id's Crimson Weltall in Xenogears
-there is a boss with two appendages that end in mini gears that look like Fei's Weltall, and Elly's Vierge.

I'm sure there are more. Xenosaga III was fantasic. I hated part 2's battle system though.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #210 of 1,043
Knew it. Though you didn't have to PM me just to reply that LOL

Though, I never finished playing Xenosaga and I don't know why. Replaying my ps2 is (almost) out of the question. Maybe someday when I feel nostalgic and wanna play unremaked game, then I'll give it another visit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back