The Official Horror game Thread!! Lets put those headphones to good use!
Aug 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #196 of 354
Quote:

I'll have to check those out!

wait....have you seriously never heard of those? They are like what started the slender man craze. well the original pasta but those were the two webshows that make it a hit.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #198 of 354
Aug 24, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #199 of 354
I love horror and I got a PS3 but never cared so much about gaming since leaving my early twenties (I'm almost forty now). However recently I loved playing Dead Space, it was really scary and I think it's one of the best games ever. I also like the first Uncharted game, there are those creatures by the end of the game that made me jump of the couch in fear.

Besides Dead Space 2, which is the obvious choice (I haven't played it yet) what other games in this style I would enjoy (PS3)? I don't like Resident Evil, I tried to play RE5 but it's not my cup of tea really, I don't like have to cheat looking for game guides for impossible to find items and stuff like that.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #200 of 354
Quote:
I love horror and I got a PS3 but never cared so much about gaming since leaving my early twenties (I'm almost forty now). However recently I loved playing Dead Space, it was really scary and I think it's one of the best games ever. I also like the first Uncharted game, there are those creatures by the end of the game that made me jump of the couch in fear.

Besides Dead Space 2, which is the obvious choice (I haven't played it yet) what other games in this style I would enjoy (PS3)? I don't like Resident Evil, I tried to play RE5 but it's not my cup of tea really, I don't like have to cheat looking for game guides for impossible to find items and stuff like that.

You should get condemned criminal origins it will be cheap now, it's proper good you are after a serial killer, heres the video..on pc aswell
Or the fear games if condemned isn't on ps3!

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #201 of 354
Anyone else notice, it looks like SCP: Containment Breach was completed. Or at least it's not in it's alpha stage anymore. It's gotten quite a few updates fixing and improving all sorts of things. Not sure if they're going to "add" anything else in the future besides basic fixes, but regardless, really glad to see this game has been getting the attention it clearly deserves. After all, it's basically the scariest game ever made!
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #203 of 354
Quote:
To be honest no came really scared me ,but stalker the pripyat. Those bloody human enemies coming out of no were made me jump.

lol I like games that aren't just jump scares. atmosphere or ATMOSFEAR!!!!! is what get's to me. It's not about being like pissing in your pants scared, it's about tension.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #204 of 354
Quote:
lol I like games that aren't just jump scares. atmosphere or ATMOSFEAR!!!!! is what get's to me. It's not about being like pissing in your pants scared, it's about tension.

Like SCP?
biggrin.gif

Half the reason that game is so scary is because of how glitchy it can sometimes be. But it's fantastically executed, putting every other "modern" horror I've played to absolute shame.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #205 of 354
Quote:

Like SCP?
biggrin.gif

Half the reason that game is so scary is because of how glitchy it can sometimes be. But it's fantastically executed, putting every other "modern" horror I've played to absolute shame.

lol yeah. Anyone tried Anna yet?  new indi horror game on steam. looked pretty interesting. OH also Dear Esther is amazing! not too horror but still great in the ATMOSFEAR sense.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #206 of 354
BLOOD by Monolith is one of my favorite horror games which i still play on Dosbox at least once a year. The soundtrack gets daily play in my FALLOUT 3 folder since it fits in so well with all the doom and gloom. B-movie campiness to the max.

PHANTASMAGORIA was very well paced and being able to go almost anywhere i wanted helped in the immersion. Really felt like i was living a horror movie.

PENUMBRA Collection has tons of depth with plenty of mystery.

FALLOUT NEW VEGAS where giant scorpions and rotting decaying ghouls are as dangerous and terrifying as they look. Makes me feel like am in a western horror sci-fi survival game especially in hardcore mode.

RESIDENT EVIL on the first Playstation was one of the best zombie games i've ever played. Made it feel like i was in a real life version of a George Romero movie. There have been other really good zombie games since then but usually the action is so fast paced it kills the classic suspensful tension of zombie movies to a certain degree.

HERECTIC by Raven Software one of the creepiest fantasy shooters i've played with excellent audio work.

BLACK CRYPT by Raven Software for the Commodore Amiga 500. Same as above only its rpg dungeon crawler. I can still hear the blood curdling scream of..THE POSSESSOR.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #207 of 354
Number one rank is really easy for me.

Penumbra Black Plague with novint Falcon force feedback controller
Penumbra Overture with novint Falcon force feedback controller close second.
Black Plague wins because they dared to not show the ghost and then actually make the damn thing immortal. You couldn´t win!

I am sure this are solid horror games in their own right but having a physical connection to all the objects and wall. You can feel the texture and contours and feel the weight of things you lift off. The novint controller is so precise you just can´t help to buy the illusion even further then you normally do. Very special.

I am not very skittish but at one point I was truly paralyzed in terror at Black Plague totally unable to defend my character had I been detected. And I thought I was battle hardened at that time with Doom, Alien and what not. The original alien never did scare me this much!

I haven´t played Amnesia partly in frustration that they don´t have any cooperation with novint anymore. I tried a few hours but it´s just not the same with mouse/keyboard. I guess it´s the thing of been there done that. The really good scare don´t work for sequels generally. Black Plague the exception.

Number 3.
System Shock 2. Very thick atmosphere and really tough survival on harder difficulties. I remember it as amazing in every way haven´t replayed it though but played it some years after it´s initial release.

Number 4.
Shalebridge Cradle level in Thief 3. This level is so brilliant I want to take it on even if Thief 3 is not all that terrifying. Overall I would probably want to pick perhaps Thief 2.

Number 5.
Alien vs Predator the original. Got it via Sega power pack on the summer sale and it´s not quite as scary today as it used to. I am of course generally talking about the marine campaign. Remember particularly a level on a dark knight outside in a sandstorm with tons of containers making your motion detector beeping all over the place. I tried to replay that some years later from my first play through but when I got there I just gave up. I won´t do this :D

Honoury mentions to Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 2 and parts  of F.E.A.R

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #209 of 354
Been playing a little Call of Cthulu: DCotE, damn that game knows how to keep you on edge.

Number game?

1-Silent Hill2- Probably my all time favorite horror game, it just does everything right to me.The controls, atmosFEAR!!!!, and characters all lend to this feeling of suffocating that I haven't really found in any other game.
2-Call of Cthulu- Seriously great work, slow building action with intense chase scenes and some twisted characters. The mood is just fantastic and really keeps you on edge; The creatures are horrifying not in scary sense...but they are just so monstrous and evil.

3-Silent Hill3- Great game but it started to lose a bit of it's silent hill feel to me. The controls felt way way to wonky and made it frustrating to play.

4-Penumbra series- Dark, dank, and depressing. Not to mention the monster unlike amnesia want your succulent meats and will stop at nothing to get it....Don't look in the bathroom.

5-Dear Esther- not really 5 on my list...but also not too scary; a really great adventure of a gem built around finding letters; atmospheric and just chilling enough to be horror. Really a perfect new age horror game compared to anything else to drop in the last 6 years or so.

6-DeadSpace- A pretty solid game and is quite scary at times. Much less of a psychological fear and more of a nail biting "where are they going to come from next" fear.

7-Metro 2033- It's scary just because it's unrelenting...also librarians.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #210 of 354
Some games that gave me the chills at times:

- Sanitarium, that level with the conscious plant consuming the children was genius. 

- I have no mouth and I must scream, the atmosphere is suffocating and it really got to me when I was a kid playing this in the dark

- Dark Seed, HR GIGER. Need I say more? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back