The (official) Headphone Analogies Thread
Aug 16, 2005 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
In one of the other threads, la_marquise posted
Quote:

I am hoping that the DT880 + tube combo will be like a Starbucks Chantico with 2 shots of espresso....

I also have the MS1s for my rock, blues, and big band moments, just to make sure I have all my bases covered. Er, the MS1s are probably just straight espresso shots, to continue my analogy....

And I read someone post the DT880 was called "Like a pretty girl who doesn't eat enough"

So, let's hear some analogies about other headphones. Extra points awarded to ones that actually make a lot of sense.

To me, the HD600 is like a Lexus....nearly perfect, well crafted, all the details are sweated out, the closest thing to an investment in cars, but overall a bit generic and not as fun to throw around corners as a BMW.

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm game.

The Westone UM2 is like a warm, pulsing discoteque an hour before closing, run by a deejay whose sweating cables have started to oxidize green.

tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 11
I'll make this a Beer analogy, and hope it works.

Sony cheapies, I don't remember the model # 'cause the dog chomped them (good riddance) - Newcastle Brown Ale, nearly ruined my taste for dark beer.

Stax SR-5 - Warsteiner Silver Label, no alcohol, no kick, but good taste.

Grado SR-60 - basic American beer, I'll always be able to live without it. The dog chomped them, too, but I was able to trade Nady's for another.

Yamaha YH-1 - Sapporo, what else? There's better beer out there...

Signet TK22 - Warsteiner Dunkel, more refined than Guiness Stout, a beer I could live with for a long time.

Koss KT-88 - the beer you get cheap on Saint Pat's day. 'nuff said...

Nady (don't remember model #) - don't know, just had a sip...

Laz

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 11
Bose Triports are like giving someone your 1 week's pay for them to shove forks in your ears.

HD600s are like a cool summer breeze blowing over the dew-covered grassy plains at the bottom of a high mountaintop (with rays of delight coming from the sun of course.)

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 11
DT531: Like walking into the club on Wednesday Latin Nite -- how can so deliciously funky sound so natural and easy?

Sony EX71: Like walking into the club on Thursday after Latin Nite blew the PA system: all messy bass.

MX400: Like having sex for the first time: Oh, I thought it was going to be better than that. I was expecting some kind of transcendental experience.

A500: like a long-overdue q-tipping of your ears

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm guilty of putting analogies in every review I do - or even in posts that have nothing to do with headphones lol. So I refrain from adding any nuggets here - it's best to capture one in the wild!

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 11
The HD650's are like the HD600's but without the veil.
biggrin.gif
Man, I'm having fun tonight! Thank you... thank you very much. I'll be here all week. Have you tried the veal?

Aug 16, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ivandal
super.fi 5 eb: like getting violated aurally...but I liked it.
basshead.gif

LOL yeah no kidding...

The EBs are the closest thing to strapping subs to your ears.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I'm guilty of putting analogies in every review I do - or even in posts that have nothing to do with headphones lol. So I refrain from adding any nuggets here - it's best to capture one in the wild!

Good point. Some of your analogies have provided me a chuckle
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back