The Official Eddie Current FOUR 45 Thread
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #631 of 646
What made you choose the 445 over the 2a3 mk iv ?

Also my friend recommended modding the 445 to get rid of negative feedback and then buying solid silver output transformers [i think AN Ag OPTs would be insanely expensive] for it to take it to a high level... what do you think about this plan ? For hd800 and zmf atticus.

My goal really is warmth, richness while still retaining detail.

If warmth, richness is your primary goal then maybe 445 is not the best place to start. Both HD800 and ZMF sound like they will do well with the Zana Deux. HD800 and Zana were such an insanely good synergy, it's hard to do better I feel.

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #632 of 646
Just digging thru my old files and got a inner pic of the 445. The only silicon that I can see are the rectifier chips (middle boards with big caps). These are probably filament power supply: one for the 45's and the other for 5842's.

4-45 inside.jpg

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #633 of 646
I gravitated toward the 45 since I used mostly for headphones, not really need the extra watts. But if you're think may be both headphones and speakers, do get the 2A3, extra watts help the bass output.

Yeah, do agree on the neg. feedback. Tube amp is essentially a passive device, no need for feedback. As long as resistors, caps, inductors, and trannies are of high quality, should be ok.

On the silver OTP, a definite YEAH! If you can afford it, go for it! I have built a Jack Elliano's 45DRD (Electra-Print). It's a direct-drive: there is no tranny/cap coupling between input and output. Jack built me his famous 'partially silver plated' trannies, and it sounded freaking amazing! Conductivity diff. between silver and copper is ~3%, but couldn't believe how diff. the sound would be (i haven't done a careful test to see whether this was due to the DRD design). Jack's partially silver plated is just coating the copper wire, not a solid silver like AN, so a bit cheaper . Not sure Jack's still building custom trannies out in Vegas. But if you can get a hand on his silver coated trannies, get 'em.

Side note: for these tube amps, 300-ohm 'phones (H800 and the zmf) are hard to drive, i.e. you may not get the most power due to impedance mismatch. That's why the Zana, an OTL, is a much better matched as K3cT noted (tubes are high impedance). The OPT is typically winded to match to speaker imp. of 8-16 ohm. Driving 'em off-spec, say to 300-ohm, will limit the power the 'phones receive (it won't be one-to-one). No lower imp. 'phones in your collections?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #634 of 646
For hd800 and zmf atticus.

Not to go off track, but the 445, at least in stock form, is not about warmth and richness. It does offer lots of detail, but it is ever so slightly lean sounding. I own both the EC 445 and the Apex Teton. The Teton is the best amp I’ve ever heard with the HD800S and the VC. Actually, it’s the best sounding amp I’ve owned, period, though it’s an OTL so it is a poor match for low impedance headphones. Though it’s very expensive, the tubes it uses are much less expensive than a quad of new production or NOS 45s.

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #635 of 646
Not to go off track, but the 445, at least in stock form, is not about warmth and richness. It does offer lots of detail, but it is ever so slightly lean sounding. I own both the EC 445 and the Apex Teton. The Teton is the best amp I’ve ever heard with the HD800S and the VC. Actually, it’s the best sounding amp I’ve owned, period, though it’s an OTL so it is a poor match for low impedance headphones. Though it’s very expensive, the tubes it uses are much less expensive than a quad of new production or NOS 45s.

what about the apex pinnacle ?

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #637 of 646
You'll probably get better results from Studio B for warmth and richness. I use mine quite a fair bit and is probably the best I've heard for the hd800. Though you might be better served with other amps such as DNA Stratus since the company is still around to service them. These things are tough as nails but I wouldn't risk getting an amp from a company that is no longer active let alone one that is out of production for years unless you know a competent technician.

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #638 of 646
You'll probably get better results from Studio B for warmth and richness. I use mine quite a fair bit and is probably the best I've heard for the hd800. Though you might be better served with other amps such as DNA Stratus since the company is still around to service them. These things are tough as nails but I wouldn't risk getting an amp from a company that is no longer active let alone one that is out of production for years unless you know a competent technician.

Almost tempted to say that for EC it’s probably worth it.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #640 of 646
Almost tempted to say that for EC it’s probably worth it.
EC makes a great product and well ahead of the competition in the early days of headfi. Apart from DNA amps, nothing comes close. I've heard some expensive amps in recent months and for my taste the EC amps of yesteryears still remains unmatched. So I definitely understand your sentiment.

I'd go dna but don't want to wait
Totally reasonable to skip it but it might be worth it if you're looking for the best. The Stratus is the best production amp I've heard. The Stellaris is probably better but I've yet to hear one.

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #641 of 646
EC makes a great product and well ahead of the competition in the early days of headfi. Apart from DNA amps, nothing comes close. I've heard some expensive amps in recent months and for my taste the EC amps of yesteryears still remains unmatched. So I definitely understand your sentiment.

Totally reasonable to skip it but it might be worth it if you're looking for the best. The Stratus is the best production amp I've heard. The Stellaris is probably better but I've yet to hear one.
Too bad there isn't something that's competitive that's available without a 1 to 2 year wait time

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #642 of 646
As a classic Balancing Act owner has anyone compared the 445 against the Stellaris before?

It seems that EC house sound really fits my personal taste really well but I'm open to exploring new things if it's impossible to step up from the BA.

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #643 of 646
As a classic Balancing Act owner has anyone compared the 445 against the Stellaris before?

It seems that EC house sound really fits my personal taste really well but I'm open to exploring new things if it's impossible to step up from the BA.

I've not heard them side by side but I've heard both. I used to own the 445 and a friend has a Stellaris that I've listened to several times. Have not heard the BA just fyi.

445/Stellaris are comparable technically, but the DNA amp is a bit more resolving. Totally different presentations though.

445 in stock form is on the leaner/drier side, the DNA is wetter, more lush.

445 has a deeper head stage.

445 is more aggressive sounding, more "lively", more energy and drive... Stellaris is more laid back, but still slams hard and has energy... it's just that the 445 is more like a high performance F1 race car with the DNA being more like a sporty luxury car.

The 445 can also be given quite a bit more warmth with WE5842 (417A) driver tubes (which need adapters to work in the amp).... it really sounds like a different amp with those tubes, just warmer overall, very pleasant and engaging. I felt the stock 445 was a little too clinical/sterile sounding.

A used 445 is also ALOT cheaper than the Stellaris. The Stellaris is amazing, but I felt it did not blow the 445 away... it is more about squeezing out the last 5% or so of performance... severe diminishing returns start at the 445 level IMO. This is talking purely technical performance, not tonality.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #644 of 646
A used 445 is also ALOT cheaper than the Stellaris. The Stellaris is amazing, but I felt it did not blow the 445 away... it is more about squeezing out the last 5% or so of performance... severe diminishing returns start at the 445 level IMO. This is talking purely technical performance, not tonality.
Thanks for sharing. I agree that diminishing returns hits hard especially for commercially available product. Can honestly say I've yet to hear an amp that outright trumps the Starlett. It is a shame that EC is no longer around as the amps that Craig puts out remains as one of the best even after all these years. Luckily I manage to get in on a Studio B before he retire for good. Imo EC as well as Cavalli are truly ahead of it's time and I still kick myself skipping out on the liquid crimson's limited run.

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #645 of 646
Modding an EC445 #2 with Tango IT and OPT. Travesty? Shh...dont tell Craig!

Have not powered up yet, still waiting for some resistors. Did this to drive 16-ohm speakers (think the stock Cinemag is for 8-ohm only). Wish I would have a schematic due to some questionable resistor values but dont think Craig would release because of IP issue.

mod_ec445_outside.png
mod_ec445_inside.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back