The Official Eddie Current FOUR 45 Thread
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #616 of 646
Mine arrived a few days ago, and today I got around to unpacking it. ( And putting it back in the box. :-/ Need to get a new and bigger rack with space for it, and get some output tubes...)

I'm positively impressed by the stunning finish and the overall quality feel. Leaps and bounds ahead of my old ZDSE. It's also slightly different from the other 4-45s I've seen. Interstage transformers (?) on top, outside the input tubes.

Can't wait to hear it do it's thing. :)

Jun 30, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #617 of 646
An incredible synergie :

- My modded EC445 (5842 WE417 driver tubes instead of the stock 6C45Pi, and power tubes are a mix of 2 CUNNINGHAM BIG GLOBE and 2 EML tubes)
- And a modded HE-500

And with the lejandary HE-6, it sound also very good. The EC445 drives it effortless...

I can just confirm that it is a terrific combo ! Even if the HE-500 is ten percent the price of the EC 445, the synergie is magic :)

PS: HE-500 + Focus pad A + Alo Audio green line cable.

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #618 of 646
50hz rumbling coming from the PSU !

Since few months the EC445’s external PSU produces a 50hz rumbling that can clearly be heard in the listening room, and is quite annoying. The Rumbling is not through the headphone, just coming from inside the PSU.

I tried to tighten up everything inside the PSU, including the transformer, and also I changed the 2 PSU’s vacuum tubes, but… it did not help in any way.

Does someone knows what went wrong ? How can I fix it ? can someone help ?

many thanks ion advance for your advice.

Alim CB.JPG Alim tube 1.JPG

Alim inside.JPG EC445 & HE6.jpg

Attachments

• HiFi Station open.jpg
    HiFi Station open.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 9, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #619 of 646
DC on the mains can cause this, had a similar issue with a speaker amp, got a DC blocker which is a glorified filter but it did fix the transformer hum.

I see your trafo is labelled 220V, I hope you haven't been feeding it 230-240V, core saturation over long periods...

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #620 of 646
Well... yes indeed, my curent is more like 230-240v. What exactly iscore saturation ? how I fix this ?

Dec 9, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #621 of 646
Check the DC first, any DC on the mains would cause the transformer laminations to move and you get buzzing from the transformer itself. If that doesn't fix it you'll have to reach out to EC.

For core saturation:
When the primary winding has excessive applied voltage, flux in the core may reach the saturation levels during peak moments of the AC sine wave cycle. And hence, voltage induced in the secondary will not remain sinusoidal anymore, creating harmonics in the secondary winding output. The presence of harmonics causes overheating, power loss, reduced efficiency and shortened lifespan of the devices. Saturation may cause the core to get deformed and cause a humming noise.

This may not be an issue if your amp was design with higher than 220V in mind and somehow drops the mains voltage.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #622 of 646
A new source for my EC445: a fully restored vintage 1970's Thorens TD160 with the wonderful SME 3009 V2 "improved" tonearm and a SHURE V15 III cartrige

... Yes, I finaly joined the obscur side of the force: Vinyl !

and... I must admit that the Analog sound match very well with the EC445 signature with a moded hifiman HE500 ! (and also with the BHSE/Stax combo)

TD160 in good company 3.JPG

TD160 Listening sofa.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4388.JPG

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #623 of 646
The Verite Closed is a very good match with my EC445 for Vinyls.

So, may be I will end-up with BHSE+Stax SR009s for Digital and EC445+ZMF VC for Analog ?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #625 of 646
Anyone interested in selling their EC 445? Please msg me.

Sep 30, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #628 of 646
Does Craig Uthus still provide repair services for Eddie Current amps? I know he still answers emails. My question is whether he actually is willing to repair his amps, most of which are no longer under warranty, if they need to be repaired. Or does he just tells owners that any “qualified tech” can fix his amps, which is code for “good luck, you‘re on your own” since there aren’t many/any professionals who repair tube headphone amps for a living.

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #629 of 646
I have asked him to build the 445 and picked the amp in person. I was lucky enough to be a driving-distance to his place. Chatting with him seems like he's up to fix anything below 1000V. He told me he once was trying to fix an old Moth amp, forgot the model#, but it shocked him and knocked him out for a while, must be at least for a few hours. He said the thing was over 1000V and saying he wouldn't touch anything like that anymore. Came to him several times, both his house and his shop, and saw that he was farming out his works to local tube amp enthusiast(s) to build/assemble some of his amps. My guess's that you can send him the amp and he'll send out to his folks to help, if need. He's must be in his 80's now, not sure he's still be able to fix it himself.

In reality, "qualified tech" is a pretty good advice since tube amps are simple. Anyone who's knowledgeable about tube/amp/basic electronics (resistors, caps, inductors, tranny) should be able to debug and change out bad parts. Shipping cost would probably be more than the parts. And of course, we can't expect Craig to support us indefinitely.

Sep 30, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #630 of 646
I have asked him to build the 445 and picked the amp in person. I was lucky enough to be a driving-distance to his place. Chatting with him seems like he's up to fix anything below 1000V. He told me he once was trying to fix an old Moth amp, forgot the model#, but it shocked him and knocked him out for a while, must be at least for a few hours. He said the thing was over 1000V and saying he wouldn't touch anything like that anymore. Came to him several times, both his house and his shop, and saw that he was farming out his works to local tube amp enthusiast(s) to build/assemble some of his amps. My guess's that you can send him the amp and he'll send out to his folks to help, if need. He's must be in his 80's now, not sure he's still be able to fix it himself.

In reality, "qualified tech" is a pretty good advice since tube amps are simple. Anyone who's knowledgeable about tube/amp/basic electronics (resistors, caps, inductors, tranny) should be able to debug and change out bad parts. Shipping cost would probably be more than the parts. And of course, we can't expect Craig to support us indefinitely.

What made you choose the 445 over the 2a3 mk iv ?

Also my friend recommended modding the 445 to get rid of negative feedback and then buying solid silver output transformers [i think AN Ag OPTs would be insanely expensive] for it to take it to a high level... what do you think about this plan ? For hd800 and zmf atticus.

My goal really is warmth, richness while still retaining detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back