The Official Eddie Current FOUR 45 Thread
Dec 12, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #601 of 646

From what I remember reading, DAC Balanced -->  SE is dangerous.  DAC SE --> 445 would be the easiest, but DAC Bal --->  IsoMax PC-2XR ---> 445 would probably sound better.

Craig at Eddie Current suggested the Jensen Iso-Max PC-2XR and I found no decrease in sound quality using this.  It is a pain cause it cost money and then you need another set of SE cables.  Still well worth it, IMHO . . .

Did you find a slight increase in power after using the Jensen Iso-Max, or is it the same?

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #602 of 646
I'm excited. My new 4-45 is shipping next week. My wallet hurts, and I still have a bit to go - need to get some tubes too. Not sure if I should wait and get EML, or see if I can find some more affordable tubes.

Anyone happen to have a spare quad of lightly used st-type 45s they want to sell?

Or any advice on where to find matched st-type 45s at a good price? Same with the WE 417A. Tubedepot seems to be a bit pricey.

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #604 of 646
I'm excited. My new 4-45 is shipping next week. My wallet hurts, and I still have a bit to go - need to get some tubes too. Not sure if I should wait and get EML, or see if I can find some more affordable tubes.

Anyone happen to have a spare quad of lightly used st-type 45s they want to sell?

Or any advice on where to find matched st-type 45s at a good price? Same with the WE 417A. Tubedepot seems to be a bit pricey.

When did you order yours? I was going to order one last week and I was told it was discontinued. Or you buying second hand?

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #605 of 646
When did you order yours? I was going to order one last week and I was told it was discontinued. Or you buying second hand?
I ordered directly from Eddie Current in late May, and I got the last one.

Initially I wanted a Studio in 45 variant, but they couldn't make that happen. Instead they offered me the last 4-45.

Aug 4, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #606 of 646
Congrats !

The 445 is a fabulous amp when it is configured correctly. Western Electric WE 417A tubes with adapter are a must. These sell on eBay for $45-$90 each. 45 tubes are available on eBay. I've been buying Cunningham 45's for $80 - $150 / pair. These are fabulous tubes if they are strong and test without gas. These tubes come up on eBay every few weeks, but it will take time to accumulate good ones. Always buy with return guarantee. One pair of EML solid plate 45's can be used with older tubes for a very sweet sound. PM me and maybe I can help with testing. If you have balanced output from your DAC I would strongly recommend using a Jensen IsoMax to convert from balanced signal to single end input. (This requires both balanced cable and a short single-end cable, so it gets pricey if you get quality ones -- consider doing DIY cables for youself !!! )

I'm happy to answer questions . . .

Aug 4, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #607 of 646

FYI I have a EC445 ( with several tubes, including WE417A...) for sale :o2smile:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #608 of 646
Rico613: Thanks for the tip & the offer. Not sure if I want to go the ebay route - I want to find somewhere I can buy 4 already matched at a nice price. Returns are a bother from here, (Norway), and I'd have to rely on someone else to get matching if I'm to buy just one here and there.

I ordered mine with the socket already pre-wired for the WE417A, so that I don't have to use an (ugly) adapter. They weren't able to accommodate my wish for a builtin isolation transformer so I'll be relying on the same old IsoMax that I've been using with my ZDSE. It is a nice upgrade with a balanced amp.:beyersmile:

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #609 of 646
Congrats !

The 445 is a fabulous amp when it is configured correctly. Western Electric WE 417A tubes with adapter are a must ...... One pair of EML solid plate 45's can be used with older tubes for a very sweet sound.

Agree on both recommendations. This is how I have mine set-up

EML + Globe mixed.jpg

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #610 of 646
We both have the EML mesh plate 45's. When paired with the vintage tubes they have a fabulous sound. I'm guessing the EML solid plate in the same setup would have a more precise sound but still have the warmth from the vintage 45 tubes. One of the nice things about 45 tubes is that older tubes can be purchased for reasonable prices. I buy bottle glass Cunningham engraved base 45s for $90-$140 a pair. Vintage single plate 2A3 tubes sell for $200-$400 EACH !! Your globe glass 45's are more expensive than the bottle designs as they are becoming quite rare.

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #611 of 646
We both have the EML mesh plate 45's. When paired with the vintage tubes they have a fabulous sound. I'm guessing the EML solid plate in the same setup would have a more precise sound but still have the warmth from the vintage 45 tubes. One of the nice things about 45 tubes is that older tubes can be purchased for reasonable prices. I buy bottle glass Cunningham engraved base 45s for $90-$140 a pair. Vintage single plate 2A3 tubes sell for $200-$400 EACH !! Your globe glass 45's are more expensive than the bottle designs as they are becoming quite rare.
well, my globe glass are also Cunningham(CX-345 big Globe, engraved base 45 radio tubes TV7-D), but indeed I paid the pair 225 € on Ebay tested (63/47 & 72/47... what ever this means), but used .

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #613 of 646
Eddie Current amps are really special and I still love my Zana Deux #17. It really responded to putting in an audiophile grade fuse. My favorite is the Synergistic Research Black fuse. The amp also responds to an upgraded wall outlet such as the Synergistic Research Black outlet or the Furotech GTX-R outlet. These upgrades are as important as tube rolling in my experience. Enjoy!

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #614 of 646
An incredible synergie :

- My modded EC445 (5842 WE417 driver tubes instead of the stock 6C45Pi, and power tubes are a mix of 2 CUNNINGHAM BIG GLOBE and 2 EML tubes)
- And a modded HE-500

EC445 & HE-500.jpg

And with the lejandary HE-6, it sound also very good. The EC445 drives it effortless...

EC445 & HE6.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back