The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Sep 17, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #2,326 of 2,481
So is there a fixed update file and working procedure? Does the Update file have to be renamed to 'update'zip'? Do you have to press any button or disable any setting on Android to get the thing working?? I just woke up cheers.

There doesn't seem to be any procedure that consistently works for all players. I would hold off before trying again, until it gets sorted out.

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,327 of 2,481
Did you try the procedure I posted earlier?
So is there a fixed update file and working procedure? Does the Update file have to be renamed to 'update'zip'? Do you have to press any button or disable any setting on Android to get the thing working?? I just woke up cheers.

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #2,329 of 2,481
I had to use the file browser and go to the download folder.
IME the "download" applet only shows the apps that are downloaded directly to the device.

And yes, I have installed the updates and they work, for me...

Has anyone been able to get the Tidal update installed. I dowloaded to my laptop. Hooked up the Explorer and copy the APK to the download directory but the Explorer does not see this APK.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #2,330 of 2,481
Did you try the procedure I posted earlier?
Hi Mr.Bear, yes I did..my 'trusted installs' was already switched on.. I tried multiple reboots..I tried formatting my SD card with both Win10 native disk formatter and a utility I have called MicroSD formatter BOTH formatted to Fat32..Copied the Zip file across using original and renamed to 'update.zip'..nada.. I also downloaded the zip file again thinking it may have got corrupted. Its the same file size..nada..Whilst I appreciate the improvements with the new USBApp and Tidal patches this one isn't working right now..I just find it strange as normally when you do IOS updates in Android you have to hold hold the minus volume or something, the Echobox updater doesn't seem to be triggered by anything, it seems the 'detect SD card' applet in the OS takes precedence, so the device cant boot into the SD card properly, it just boots into Echobox Android and the little 'SD card inserted' icon appears rendering it useless..

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #2,331 of 2,481
Hi Mr.Bear, yes I did..my 'trusted installs' was already switched on.. I tried multiple reboots..I tried formatting my SD card with both Win10 native disk formatter and a utility I have called MicroSD formatter BOTH formatted to Fat32..Copied the Zip file across using original and renamed to 'update.zip'..nada.. I also downloaded the zip file again thinking it may have got corrupted. Its the same file size..nada..Whilst I appreciate the improvements with the new USBApp and Tidal patches this one isn't working right now..I just find it strange as normally when you do IOS updates in Android you have to hold hold the minus volume or something, the Echobox updater doesn't seem to be triggered by anything, it seems the 'detect SD card' applet in the OS takes precedence, so the device cant boot into the SD card properly, it just boots into Echobox Android and the little 'SD card inserted' icon appears rendering it useless..
Yes, very strange. Both of my explorers worked with the first file they uploaded. They also automatically start the install process on the new file but only when it is renamed to update.
I wonder if there is a way for me to roll one of them back and try it again with the new file...

What happens when you try to open the .zip in the file manager in the explorer? I get an options screen for what type of file I want to open (text, audio, etc).

It's very strange that the auto start identifies it as a package to install, but I cant "activate" it or open it manually with the built in package installer...???

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #2,332 of 2,481
Yes, very strange. Both of my explorers worked with the first file they uploaded. They also automatically start the install process on the new file but only when it is renamed to update.
I wonder if there is a way for me to roll one of them back and try it again with the new file...

What happens when you try to open the .zip in the file manager in the explorer? I get an options screen for what type of file I want to open (text, audio, etc).
I can navigate to the file in the File Exporer after I have accepted the config for the MicroSD card..it seems the issue is the config for the microSD card on is holding the OS before it can detect the MicroSD card and boot the updater file of the MicroSD card..also is 'update.zip' case sensitive, upper or lower case 'u', these little quirks can be infinitely pedantic?.. I will try yr suggestion tonight, but would prefer a Vendor suggestion to be honest.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,333 of 2,481
I agree, this is another thing they need to figure out to be a viable option for all customers. Not everyone is as patient with this stuff... it needs to work the same way for all.

I can navigate to the file in the File Exporer after I have accepted the config for the MicroSD card..it seems the issue is the config for the microSD card on is holding the OS before it can detect the MicroSD card and boot the updater file of the MicroSD card..also is 'update.zip' case sensitive, upper or lower case 'u', these little quirks can be infinitely pedantic?.. I will try yr suggestion tonight, but would prefer a Vendor suggestion to be honest.

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #2,335 of 2,481
Ok update works now... here is how I did it

1. In Options..Security - enable unauthorised apps (but you may have already done this when 'sideloading' Tidal, Spotify etc..
2. Format yr MicroSD card to Fat32
3. RENAME the Echobox update file to ALL LOWER CASE 'update.zip.
4. Turn off yer Explorer, take the SD card out, put in the sd card with update.zip
5. Turn on the Explorer and after about 15-20 seconds you will get the update prompt pop up.

Voila! You now have a pretty robust HiDef audio player with Wifi and BlueTooth and a pretty nifty Amp built in as well. Back to YumCha!

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #2,336 of 2,481
Hey BFF bud, rofl. Yes, good that you are emailing people so they will know. Sounds like the head-fi people are being used as beta-testers, and figured it out for you. Hopefully you will update your instructions to include what "Bear" posted, as you posted something inconclusive and contradictory, and you should fix that post as well. You may be right about no bugs, but frankly I'm not that confident, based on track record, so I think it's a good idea to wait and see. If you're right, and there are no new problems and you correct your instructions, I will let him know it's safe to update. He isn't having many problems as he doesn't use Tidal and doesn't have any DSD files. His main issues are low volume output and the unit getting extremely hot during charging, and I don't think those have been addressed as others haven't had those problems, the units are very inconsistent.

Since you want to get personal, I think my brother trusts my advice, and I his, much more than yours, bud.

1. In Options..Security - enable unauthorised apps (but you may have already done this when 'sideloading' Tidal, Spotify etc..
4. Turn off yer Explorer, take the SD card out, put in the sd card with update.zip
5. Turn on the Explorer and after about 15-20 seconds you will get the update prompt pop up.

Voila! You now have a pretty robust HiDef audio player with Wifi and BlueTooth and a pretty nifty Amp built in as well. Back to YumCha!

@Headmusic Good call on the "enable installation from unknown sources" setting. I have updated the instructions to include this, and a few other, steps that should allow for a better overall installation experience. I have also updated the .ZIP file to be renamed "update.zip" (all lowercase) just to be safe! Thanks for the catch, and let us know if you have any questions for us with the new software. You can always reach us at team@eboxaudio.com

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #2,337 of 2,481
:frowning2:

i have done all this... without getting my explorer updated.

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #2,338 of 2,481
Took the plunge in updating, previous attempts failed but thanks to Bear's renaming of the zip file the software upgrade? went smoothly as did Tidal and USB app.
However, the aforementioned apps were removed in the process following that update, so they will require installing.

I'm pleased to say that the USB audio app appears to be operating as expected, through very brief testing, prior to this release it didn't work at all.
I am struggling with Tidal, my playlists allegedly have been downloaded to play offline, stepping away from the Wi-Fi disproves as the current offline track playing will stop.
Anyone experiencing the same and found a workaround?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back