The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Sep 17, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #2,311 of 2,481
well the device isn't booting into the firmware/software updater..it just boots up and detects the microUSB doesn't kick off an install sequence.. I tried using the original zip file then renaming it 'update.zip' and rebooting...nada..FAT32 formatted as well..

Have you tried reformatting the SD card and reloading the file to it?

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #2,312 of 2,481
It should be just fine with it's current name. Apologies, I'm currently out for dinner in China at the moment, so was unable to look at the exact file name. You can always try and rename it though :wink:

One I return to my hotel I will test it out to make sure everything is working OK. We have had multiple successful updates from the files on our site, though, so all should be well. Strange indeed.
Did nothing. So I ejected the MicroSD and put my music SD back in..Enjoy yr YumCha, tell us when you get a working and tested procedure. Thanks

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #2,314 of 2,481
Did nothing. So I ejected the MicroSD and put my music SD back in..Enjoy yr YumCha, tell us when you get a working and tested procedure. Thanks

Well this was working, and tested...a head scratcher indeed.

PS: YumCha means drink tea, but is usually used in reference to breakfast given that you tend to drink lots of tea while enjoying DimSum :) FYI

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2,316 of 2,481
yes..twice already

Well this was working, and tested...a head scratcher indeed.

PS: YumCha means drink tea, but is usually used in reference to breakfast given that you tend to drink lots of tea while enjoying DimSum :) FYI

+1 for the lack of action when I reboot the Explorer. Tried multiple things (turning off USB debugger, turning it on, allowing the external apps etc). Any further suggestions very much appreciated.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,317 of 2,481
Mine worked with original file on both of my explorers. I will download the new one and see what happens.

Please stand by....

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,318 of 2,481
so it does not work automatically unless you rename the file to update.zip. (for me anyway)
the original file was named this and it worked. I just renamed the latest file and it also start the install process.

so this is what I did:
renamed the file on the SD card to update.zip
with explorer running and at the home screen I inserted the card
After a few seconds the splash screen for installing came up.

Also note that in settings/security I have "unknown sources" turned on

Edit: I just tested it with that turned off and it still starts the install.

yes..twice already

+1 for the lack of action when I reboot the Explorer. Tried multiple things (turning off USB debugger, turning it on, allowing the external apps etc). Any further suggestions very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #2,319 of 2,481
It's good that EB's customers can figure out how to do things for them with their device, and help out other users. And I thought EB wasn't going to use head-fi for customer support. What about owners who don't use this forum? How are they supposed to even know about this? My brother has my unit and I informed him of the update but advised him against it, given that some people are having problems. Plus it's maybe prudent to see if any new bugs are introduced. This was done poorly to say the least.

I assume the "Y2k bug" reference was used in jest since Android didn't exist then and it's now 17 years later.

Sep 17, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #2,321 of 2,481
It's good that EB's customers can figure out how to do things for them with their device, and help out other users. And I thought EB wasn't going to use head-fi for customer support. What about owners who don't use this forum? How are they supposed to even know about this? My brother has my unit and I informed him of the update but advised him against it, given that some people are having problems. Plus it's maybe prudent to see if any new bugs are introduced. This was done poorly to say the least.

I assume the "Y2k bug" reference was used in jest since Android didn't exist then and it's now 17 years later.

Hey bud, thanks as always for your feedback :wink:

We are trying to avoid HeadFi whenever possible for support, which is why we encourage anyone who needs help to reach out to us at team@eboxaudio.com

For the update, I sure hope your brother doesn't take your advice as his device will perform much better once the new software is installed. Pair that with the new TIDAL and UAPP updates, and it is an all around suite of excellent upgrades. And bugs? Haven't had any yet, only a few people having difficulties with the actual update process.

As for how people will know? Well, we have posted about it here, we have posted it on our website, and we will be sending out an email blast this week. Between those three, it should be covered :wink:

Sep 17, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #2,323 of 2,481
Hey bud, thanks as always for your feedback :wink:

We are trying to avoid HeadFi whenever possible for support, which is why we encourage anyone who needs help to reach out to us at team@eboxaudio.com

For the update, I sure hope your brother doesn't take your advice as his device will perform much better once the new software is installed. Pair that with the new TIDAL and UAPP updates, and it is an all around suite of excellent upgrades. And bugs? Haven't had any yet, only a few people having difficulties with the actual update process.

As for how people will know? Well, we have posted about it here, we have posted it on our website, and we will be sending out an email blast this week. Between those three, it should be covered :wink:

Hey BFF bud, rofl. Yes, good that you are emailing people so they will know. Sounds like the head-fi people are being used as beta-testers, and figured it out for you. Hopefully you will update your instructions to include what "Bear" posted, as you posted something inconclusive and contradictory, and you should fix that post as well. You may be right about no bugs, but frankly I'm not that confident, based on track record, so I think it's a good idea to wait and see. If you're right, and there are no new problems and you correct your instructions, I will let him know it's safe to update. He isn't having many problems as he doesn't use Tidal and doesn't have any DSD files. His main issues are low volume output and the unit getting extremely hot during charging, and I don't think those have been addressed as others haven't had those problems, the units are very inconsistent.

Since you want to get personal, I think my brother trusts my advice, and I his, much more than yours, bud.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,324 of 2,481
Hello makethemusic,

( just emaild you @ team@eboxaudio.com)
i have the same problem updating my exploerer.
tried with a 32GB card and two 8 Gb cards... all cards are formated more than once and all could be read from the explorer ( file explorer -> sd card -> update.zip)
i tried the original name of the file and renamed it to update.zip.
security settings allowed unsecure sources

just for a test i copied the update.zip in the internal memory (root) and at this location the update would be recognized at once but failed, because he want to map to the sd card path.

--> ist there a way for you to modify the update.zip for a update where the file is placed to the internal memory ?

and...

any suggestions for updating my device?

regards

jörg

P.S.

i changed my android into developer mode... do you think this matters ?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #2,325 of 2,481
So is there a fixed update file and working procedure? Does the Update file have to be renamed to 'update'zip'? Do you have to press any button or disable any setting on Android to get the thing working?? I just woke up cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back