The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jul 29, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2,266 of 2,481
^^ Ditto!

You're a step further along.
No email, no notification.

I've even emailed them separately twice and no response. Twice...

Looking at our team inbox, it would appear that all emails have been replied to. Have you received a response at this point? Please be sure you are sending to team@eboxaudio.com.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,268 of 2,481
The long awaited Explorer touched down on this side of the planet a few days ago. Of course, all good things come to those who wait.
Born prematurely, knowingly, the long arduous trek of 7 and a half months seems familiar to the core as to ones vision of their little baby.
Was the wait worth, for me, as in entering this dimension, yes, for the explorer yes and no.
Aesthetically, it's pleasing to the eye. That initial attraction doesn't disappoint. Having ordered the mahogany I'm rather pleased to say that it doesn't represent that colour. Perhaps, the cracks in evidence upon delivery and thereafter of previous units prompted a slight change in manufacturing, wood, design etc?
Again, pleasingly, a charge of approximately 92% battery upon first firing enabled set up and the start of downloading my Tidal playlist - a day later, including 853+ tracks it's system go.

Initial impression of sound is reminiscent of recording vinyl to cassette deck and listening to that playback. Somewhat compressed.
To put into further context and comparison through everyday dap on the go, my Fiio X7 certainly has a wider sound stage oozing in greater details through each spectrum.
As for now, is it value for money? Given that touchdown incurred import taxes I may consider the purse to be out of pocket.
Further listening and evaluation is certainly required with possible thoughts to follow...

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,275 of 2,481
I haven't, don't want one now and I'm pretty sure Echobox knows I don't want one. That's probably why they didn't send me one.
Nobody has I don't think they are not singling anyone out I just think it is wasted effort and money as thy have probably burned most of the goodwill and a t-shirt won't do anything to change that

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,276 of 2,481
I received my tee shirt, although its too small for me. I also have had a good experience with my Explorer. The sound seems richer than it was on my Fiio ×3, and the user interface is much better. I'm a bit disappointed that the playback occasionally pops, clicks, or jumbles the sound, and I hope that is a glitch in the 0S. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2,277 of 2,481
I received my tee shirt, although its too small for me. I also have had a good experience with my Explorer. The sound seems richer than it was on my Fiio ×3, and the user interface is much better. I'm a bit disappointed that the playback occasionally pops, clicks, or jumbles the sound, and I hope that is a glitch in the 0S. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yep, got my T-shirt here, too. It is too small for me also, I am a XXL or XXXL kind of guy. :ksc75smile:

I have not noticed the glitch you mentioned.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #2,278 of 2,481

Yeah I get the glitch with the subtle pops, I noticed it happens with 24bit/192 flacs mainly, also I'm lucky I can get a whole .dsf/DSD album playing without the odd stutter or the whole darned apps just crashing. Whilst the USBAP seems like a good app, it's buggy as hell with the Explorer. I also notice that after an album stops playing you then can't play another album, it seems the issue(s) at hand are ultimately with with the USBApp drivers and the Explorer DAP and Amp hardware, it would have been nice if Echobox suggested some 'optimum' config settings for the app and their hardware so as to exploit it's strengths, as their simple instructions are just not enough.

It's a bit disconcerting when their device which is driven by the App, isn't actually on the Applications supported hardware list!@#$!
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver

I'm finding I'm using VLC because it just works.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #2,280 of 2,481
Headmusic, it the sound different when using VLC? Did you need to side-load that to your Explorer?

IT sounds a bit louder and compressed.. There is good news on the horizon however! Echobox finally notified me that they have there is a patched version of USBapp which will fix alot of the issues and the popping etc is due to ALSA sampling issues which makes perfect sense. This is ultimately good news for the Echobox, I think it sounds fine, it's just these music encoding/transport issues that bug me, hopefully it fixes issue with dsd files as well. Interestingly, I read on the USBApp site that the app can play DSD iso files natively?? Is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back