The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jan 11, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #121 of 2,481
Looks interesting. Guess i could make 64GB work, although expandable memory would be very nice to have. Definitely something to consider at this price point.

Also i love the look of this thing. I just hope i won't try to plug my earphones into my flask when i'm a little toasty
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #123 of 2,481
Just to reconfirm, this is full Android, not the severely watered down, walled garden kind that iBasso uses?

I'm assuming its very basic Android, stripped down to wireless streaming and music. Just a media player build of android.

Which makes sense, if we are going to use the features that make this thing special, chances are we have our phones anyways. Although I'd rather have it plugged into, instead of wireless... DAT battery life O.o

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #124 of 2,481
I think it would look really cool without the screw stopper, no?

And, yes, streaming is the future! Who needs lossless anyway? Sure, if you're eight years old, have perfect hearing, is located in a laboratory environment for sound, have perfect hearing (am I repeating myself?) and a bit of imagination (eight year olds have plenty)...

My hearing isn't perfect, I suffer from a slight hearing loss on my left ear, but at least I have Golden Ears
wink.gif
. Is it possible to adjust the audio volume balance between the left and right channels on the Echobox? If so I think I need it!

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #125 of 2,481
  I think it would look really cool without the screw stopper, no?
[snip]

Just looks like a normal DAC/amp if you take it away.  A bit like an elongated Tera Player.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #126 of 2,481
That iem looks very interresting. What is the name of iem? II couldn't any info on your Facebook page and here. Does it include a mic? If not it would be nice include a version for it or a future with detachable cable. Thanks

You might find this link interesting - nothing much in the way of specs, but they sure look good.

http://echoboxaudio.com/a/Earphone

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #127 of 2,481
  Yeah, the screen times out by default; it's a full-featured Android-based OS, though, so if you've got it plugged in and you're worried, you can set the screen to stay on for "about 25 days" 
biggrin.gif

OK. So, it's full-featured Android, and the original post also mentions support for practically all streaming services, presumably through the official apps that are already available. But what app service, if any, does it come with in its stock configuration. Google Play? Amazon App Store? Please reply. Thank you!

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #130 of 2,481
Jan 12, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #131 of 2,481

this announcement doesn't especially highlight what is perhaps my favorite feature: it can connect to another device like a computer or iPad via WiFi or DLNA/Airplay, to act as a DAC/AMP combo instead of a standalone DAP. To my knowledge there is no other player on the market that has this feature.

I didn't notice any mention of USB-DAC functionality, but it would be nice.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #132 of 2,481

I didn't notice any mention of USB-DAC functionality, but it would be nice.

I've did a little more reading and research--the official information seems to be scattered all over the place at the moment. Per my understanding, in other words, it can only be a USB host device (devices can be plugged into it and it can control them) and it cannot be used as a USB slave device (it cannot be plugged into other devices and be controlled by them), at least as a USB DAC unless we hear otherwise. It would be very innovative if they found a way to do this.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #134 of 2,481
Update to the main post - our engineers started work yesterday on researching SD/miscroSD support! The circuitry is very important to the awesome sound and power we've achieved, so we're doing our best to ensure that the sound isn't affected in any way; they'll decide on 1 or 2 SD or microSD slots depending on what affects the sound the least. I'm pushing for 2 microSD!

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #135 of 2,481
We're looking for he final version to feature a full Google Play store, but it all depends on what we can achieve firmware-wise to maintain our $450 price point. Our goal is to give the best possible audio quality while significantly undercutting the more expensive portable HiFi players out there, so that as many people as possible can hear music the way it should be heard :) We think the market for niche ultra-high-end players is already pretty well covered, and we want to give everyone a shot at as close to that level of audio quality as possible.

Quote:
  OK. So, it's full-featured Android, and the original post also mentions support for practically all streaming services, presumably through the official apps that are already available. But what app service, if any, does it come with in its stock configuration. Google Play? Amazon App Store? Please reply. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back