The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jan 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #31 of 2,481
The shape should not present a problem for amp users in any way. The edges of the concave side are perfectly machined and totally even, and we've left enough space above and below the touchscreen for rubber bands. If you'd like, and you say so in this thread or PM, I'll stealth over to the FiiO booth and test it out, just for you :wink:

Here's my question: why can't it be novel AND an audiophile grade DAP? Are you telling me the HD800s don't look novel? Come on...it looks like some kind of crazy futuristic thing left by aliens in the middle of Stonehenge on NYE Y2K! And it's amazing!

At the end of the day, I think the sound is what makes an audiophile DAP bona fide, not the form factor. I'm sure it won't be for everyone, but if you want a 24/192-capable DAP with streaming capability (anyone else excited about TIDAL?) that can serve as a solid DAC/AMP combo for your computer and drive serious cans, the Explorer is your horse until someone else steps up to the plate.

Quote:

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #32 of 2,481
Awesome! So glad you're interested!

We're beginning mass production at the end of the month, and I'm guessing we could be full scale by Q2 or Q3 if the demand is there. We're already in talks with multiple global distributors, and while I can't say much more until everything is finalized, if everything goes as planned, you and everyone else across the pond will have no problem getting your hands on it.

Our biggest selling point to potential distributors is the level of interest we're able to generate and the sales we're able to predict, so if you want one, spread the word and help us make it happen!

Quote:
I am very interested in this media player or at least I will be once an SD card slot is implemented. The idea of having my music collection with me but also having the option to check out other music through streaming is a strong plus point in my opinion.

I currently live in the UK so my question is will your player be available from some UK sellers or will I need to have it shipped from the US if I wanted to buy? Also what price would it work out as in UK currency?

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #33 of 2,481
I can all but guarantee you'll change your mind once you've held one in your hands. I'm sure it won't be for everyone, because some people like their slabs, but I think it's pretty comfy, and it sits really nicely in a pocket.

Quote:
  The cleverness of the flask design only goes so far, in my opinion.  It's clever for about 20 seconds.  
redface.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #35 of 2,481
I have to say I really like the form factor of this. It makes me smile. 

My issue with it is that, as a portable device its streaming capabilities are limited to either work, where I generally can't get away with listening to music, and home where I have better gear already.

That leaves it as a relatively small capacity DAP in a very fun package.

Still, nice job on the industrial design.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #36 of 2,481
I love & fully embrace all the new streaming services & capabilities. I use an ak240 and stream lots of my music from one or both of the devices below. I don't have to worry about space or if I sycned any specific band/ song. Never have to take the time to download or wait for libraries to rebuild.

1. iUSBportHD with a 1TB hard drive. "iUSBport HD supports a built-in 2.5" hard drive with USB 3.0 connectivity, a SDXC card slot as well as an additional USB host port that allows the user to connect even another USB hard drive, all wirelessly connected to your iOS, Android or WiFi-enabled device. Instantly stream music & movies to 5 different devices or perform 2-way file transfer with up to 12 different users at the same time. No Internet, computer, router or external power required." Also works with hundreds of apps that support HTTP, FTP, WebDAV, DLNA, uPnP.

2. iUSBport Mini. same basic item without the built-in hard drive. I'm using multiple 128GB micro sd cards. The big advantage of this item is the size. It easily fits in my pants / shirt pocket.

I have been successful at streaming any file format (except DSD) at up to 24bit 192k. I mainly use aiff & alac files.

For more info visit hypershop.com

regards...Papa Kief

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #37 of 2,481
I like the novel design (hipflask, nice!), but what's stopping them from making two versions of the same product? Some people don't like the hipflask design. They should do one in a more traditional design for those who don't like the hipflask styling, and the hipflask design for the flamboyant go-getters and adventurous types? Can't see why they can't have two stylings of the same product.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #38 of 2,481
I believe that the flask design is to make an otherwise bulky player into something that doesn't look like it came from the 19th century. Do you want another Hifiman HM-801?

Then go buy one. There may be a few in the for sale section, I think. 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, guys, its clever marketing that benefits both the maker and the buyer. Good job! 
dt880smile.png

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #39 of 2,481

Let's be real for a second: how sweet would it be to be relaxing at your desk, listening to your best cans, and not have to unplug to go grab some food or a beer from the fridge, smoke a cig, or take a quick bio break?

That's a very good point. I find that 64 gb is a LOT of space for just music, it's what have in my ancient (but upgraded) ipod.  Streaming services like Spotify + home streaming + optical out.... Sweet!

Good luck with this flask of music
beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #40 of 2,481
I'll reconsider if you will make it look like a grenade.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #41 of 2,481
I like the novel design (hipflask, nice!), but what's stopping them from making two versions of the same product? Some people don't like the hipflask design. They should do one in a more traditional design for those who don't like the hipflask styling, and the hipflask design for the flamboyant go-getters and adventurous types? Can't see why they can't have two stylings of the same product.

2x Production Cost?

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #42 of 2,481
Overall nice features. I need a full-sized SDXC slot on it though.
If the DAP is thick (it looks like it is?), it should have something big inside to justify its dimension - big storage, big driving power (150 mw into what ohm? If into 32 ohm it is not much) or big battery.  For me, just having the PCM1792 DAC by itself does not justify its asking price of $450 (circuit design is more important) nor separates it from a flagship smartphone. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #43 of 2,481
One suggestion: crossfeed. There aren't enough players with crossfeed in stock configuration. And the Rockbox project has slowed to a crawl which means getting crossfeed in future DAPs is likely impossible unless they're Android-based.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #44 of 2,481
64GB is plenty for me, one less thing to worry about. The price is there as well undercutting the ZX1 and ZX2 by quite a bit . The flask size is a non issue, just a different shape. Being able to be used as a DAC/AMP and especially the support of streaming services is a massive plus as far as I am concerned, I am thinking of a DX90 at the moment but wondering how much use it will get as a lot of my listening is on Spotify and soon Tidal.

Count me in if the 450$ does not translate into £399+, the SQ is there and I can get a work days worth of listening on battery.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #45 of 2,481
@gilly

The feature specs is pretty damn good.

Personally, I like my portables as compact as possible, I use a Shozy Alien, and it basically disappears in my pocket.

From a design perspective, I don't mind the flask shape, I just think my issue, and maybe I'm being super picky, but the gloss screen, and the leather don't integrate together, the screen looks stuck on, and not integrated smoothly into the device. The square shape of the screen doesn't help either.

It's going gloss, to matt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back