The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #256 of 2,481
  Of course, I won't be buying it until a third party reviewer tests and measures it to verify the claims--I have to see how much of a noticeable difference it will make versus my current setup. As for your spiel, you have to look beyond what he was saying, between the lines. Sometimes, people say things they don't mean to say or that was meant to be taken in another context. In fact, when he said hyperbolize, he likely was just trying to say he over-exaggerated to the point of saying what he didn't intend to say at all, and he wasn't even knowingly hyperbolizing when he first wrote. Notice, he may have even said hyperbolize because that was the first word that came to his mind--he has to sound professional to potential customers and that is a professionally keen word. The point being, I'm sure you read earlier that he didn't understand the hardware and that he was more of a salesman and a spokesman, not a technology expert or head engineer. Honestly, if you really wanted to dig deeper and know the real truth, instead of storming off into the shadows, you could have easily asked him to request information from the people who designed it to find out what we should be taking away from it.

Again, you're welcome to your interpretation.  My interpretation is that the name of the company is right there next to his name and I don't take kindly to being fed false information intentionally or not.

Best case scenario is that it shows an appalling lack of professionalism.  Worst case scenario, this is a scam to get some preorder money and then vanish (no I don't think it's that extreme, but one has to wonder how deep the exaggerations go).

To be clear: there's a big difference between "okay, I may have been exaggerating" and "Oh really?  I didn't realize!  Let me go double check my facts!".  One implies intent and the other does not.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #257 of 2,481
ME TOO! Can we find someone in SoCal already? I don't know how badly I'll get bombarded if I make a full-on shout out in the SoCal Head-Fiers group, but I need someone who isn't on payroll to back me up here! :p

Quote:
  Exactly this. Most people who aren't in a technical career would think the same things. As an engineer, I can tell you that most parts that come in military spec and in consumer forms are, for all intents and purposes, the same. Seat the best audiophiles down in a room and ask them to differentiate between a military spec part and a consumer part and they will not be able to confidently tell the two apart. It was an honest mistake. Let's let bygones be bygones, make up and all that jazz, Stillhart? I'm just itching for one of these units to reach someone for reviewing, like, now and fast!

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #258 of 2,481
  Exactly this. Most people who aren't in a technical career would think the same things. As an engineer, I can tell you that most parts that come in military spec and in consumer forms are, for all intents and purposes, the same. Seat the best audiophiles down in a room and ask them to differentiate between a military spec part and a consumer part and they will not be able to confidently tell the two apart. It was an honest mistake. Let's let bygones be bygones, make up and all that jazz, Stillhart? I'm just itching for one of these units to reach someone for reviewing, like, now and fast!

As someone who works in the same building as a few hundred sales reps and knows exactly how far they'll go to make a sale, I can't give the same benefit of the doubt.  Like I said, you're welcome to your interpretation.  I see another skeezy sales guy trying to backpedal when he got caught in a lie.  

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #259 of 2,481
I don't think we would pay for a double booth and spend thousands on brand new cans and marketing material if we were trying to run a quick scam :wink: I also don't think scam artists hang around Head-Fi for 4 and a half years just to rip everyone off. 

If you're going to question my integrity based on one statement, maybe you should look on the other side of the coin, too; check out my trader feedback some time.

I never intended to mislead anyone. I only spoke to what I knew; clearly I didn't know everything. But neither does anyone in this thread; who other than TI knows what's really in these chips and what they are capable of? The numbers only say so much. I think the products they're used in speak pretty loudly, too.

Quote:

Again, you're welcome to your interpretation.  My interpretation is that the name of the company is right there next to his name and I don't take kindly to being fed false information intentionally or not.

Best case scenario is that it shows an appalling lack of professionalism.  Worst case scenario, this is a scam to get some preorder money and then vanish (no I don't think it's that extreme, but one has to wonder how deep the exaggerations go).

To be clear: there's a big difference between "okay, I may have been exaggerating" and "Oh really?  I didn't realize!  Let me go double check my facts!".  One implies intent and the other does not.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #260 of 2,481
Wow. And to think I sent you a PM to apologize and offer you a private demo.

Quote:

As someone who works in the same building as a few hundred sales reps and knows exactly how far they'll go to make a sale, I can't give the same benefit of the doubt.  Like I said, you're welcome to your interpretation.  I see another skeezy sales guy trying to backpedal when he got caught in a lie.  

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #262 of 2,481

I have been in those scenarios as well when I worked in the hotel business with a seedy crowd and, to be honest, I still don't judge people by other people's behavior. I judge people at face value and let their track record tell the full story and leave the rest to old-fashioned honesty and self-respect that is still evident in society. He may have used the wrong words, he may have not used the logically correct words to course correct from a textbook standpoint, but I have seen what Gilly87 writes elsewhere in the forums and it measures up to what he intends to say. He sent you a PM and offered you a demo unit, so he must have meant what he said. I would hope, when time has gone its course and you have thought things out, you can see he really was trying to honestly represent his product from the onset.

EDIT: Glad to see I may have helped smooth things over, judging by the thumbs up comment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soe8ayi3ScE

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #264 of 2,481
  I read your post earlier this morning, and made a point to go over to Audeze to check it out.

I tried the EL-8 first, and man it drives them with authority. No issues whatsoever, puts them to almost painful volume. Those things are amazing; Audeze is going to make a killing on them. I'll probably pick up a pair myself; truly impressive, if you ask me. I actually think I like the sound better than the LCD series, personally, and they are lighter and more comfortable, not to mention absurdly attractive. I'm sure even folks who have an LCD will want to at least try them.

As for the 2s and 3s...well, you might not believe me yet just yet, but I have some interesting evidence that I'd love to share, but I want to get clearance for it due to certain affiliations...anyways, it actually does the 2s justice, and it doesn't shortchange even the 3s. I know that's probably hard to believe, but Echobox will be at LA Canjam before you know it, and with the changes we're making due to popular requests, we won't be on the market until around that time; point is, I'm not saying this to try to get anyone to go out and buy one, so doubters beware! In the meantime, anyone who lives in LA with a pair of LCD2/3s is welcome to set up an appointment with me to hear this; I barely believed it when I heard it, and had to ask a fellow audiophile to verify what I was hearing, and verify they did. Would love for some impartial parties to be able to experience this first-hand and share with everyone.

I don't have access to any PMBs, so I can't verify that one for you yet. But I think what I've heard with the HD650, T1, and LCD series is more than enough to confirm my previously cautious yet optimistic suspicions that the Explorer is going to be a real game changer on sound alone, not to mention it's features, and everything we have planned for it.

Trust me, I know this sounds like a lot of hype, but I really can't wait til I get permission to share my evidence (if I do), and even more so for review samples to start shipping out so you guys can hear just how real this is!!!!

It's just two different ways of listening to music. I think both are better headphones, from an enjoyability standpoint, than the bass-light HD800s and old-school Stax and AKG stuff, and, if I'm honest, I prefer them both to the Audeze and Hifiman headphones I've heard, too, neither of which really impress me; sure the Audezes have bottomless bass, and are the closest headphones to sounding like speakers, but you need to spend thousands on source components to make them sound right, and compared to either the 650 or T90, they're just boring-sounding to me. All of the hifiman products I've heard just sound plain wrong, even with high-grade source components, crazy tube amps, etc; I'll take the T90 or HD650 over an HE-5 any day.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe it's just me, but all of the planar-magnetic phones I've heard have a slightly veiled sound accompanied by an awkward peak somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble that just sounds wrong to my ears.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #265 of 2,481
  I read your post earlier this morning, and made a point to go over to Audeze to check it out.

I tried the EL-8 first, and man it drives them with authority. No issues whatsoever, puts them to almost painful volume. Those things are amazing; Audeze is going to make a killing on them. I'll probably pick up a pair myself; truly impressive, if you ask me. I actually think I like the sound better than the LCD series, personally, and they are lighter and more comfortable, not to mention absurdly attractive. I'm sure even folks who have an LCD will want to at least try them.

As for the 2s and 3s...well, you might not believe me yet just yet, but I have some interesting evidence that I'd love to share, but I want to get clearance for it due to certain affiliations...anyways, it actually does the 2s justice, and it doesn't shortchange even the 3s. I know that's probably hard to believe, but Echobox will be at LA Canjam before you know it, and with the changes we're making due to popular requests, we won't be on the market until around that time; point is, I'm not saying this to try to get anyone to go out and buy one, so doubters beware! In the meantime, anyone who lives in LA with a pair of LCD2/3s is welcome to set up an appointment with me to hear this; I barely believed it when I heard it, and had to ask a fellow audiophile to verify what I was hearing, and verify they did. Would love for some impartial parties to be able to experience this first-hand and share with everyone.

I don't have access to any PMBs, so I can't verify that one for you yet. But I think what I've heard with the HD650, T1, and LCD series is more than enough to confirm my previously cautious yet optimistic suspicions that the Explorer is going to be a real game changer on sound alone, not to mention it's features, and everything we have planned for it.

Trust me, I know this sounds like a lot of hype, but I really can't wait til I get permission to share my evidence (if I do), and even more so for review samples to start shipping out so you guys can hear just how real this is!!!!

It's just two different ways of listening to music. I think both are better headphones, from an enjoyability standpoint, than the bass-light HD800s and old-school Stax and AKG stuff, and, if I'm honest, I prefer them both to the Audeze and Hifiman headphones I've heard, too, neither of which really impress me; sure the Audezes have bottomless bass, and are the closest headphones to sounding like speakers, but you need to spend thousands on source components to make them sound right, and compared to either the 650 or T90, they're just boring-sounding to me. All of the hifiman products I've heard just sound plain wrong, even with high-grade source components, crazy tube amps, etc; I'll take the T90 or HD650 over an HE-5 any day.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe it's just me, but all of the planar-magnetic phones I've heard have a slightly veiled sound accompanied by an awkward peak somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble that just sounds wrong to my ears.

And your point is? For me, I know when I don't like one Hi-Fi (DT880) or Summit-Fi (K812) headphone compared to another but even I can clearly tell the difference and note the improvement when that headphone which is being under-driven is then given a proper source and amplifier. That is essentially what Gilly87 is meaning in two separate, unrelated contexts, and I would hope you are not trying to suggest or conclude here that he suddenly flip flopped to please the crowd. What is it exactly that you meant or intended to convey? Having just quotes and no dialogue makes it terribly difficult to see your intention here, and I hope you are not digging up that old two-bit salesman argument which was laid to rest several comments ago.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #267 of 2,481

Interesting. Didn't know that. Would be nice if they came to my country as well.

@Gilly87 are you guys going to do a mail around of a few pre-production units? Seemed to have worked well for Fiio

I'd like in as well, if possible. It'd give me a very good reason to get my review site, Tabletop Tech, up and running.

You'd probably be more interested getting it in the hands of the likes of Tyll, ClieOS, Brooko and MuppetFace, though, before all else.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #268 of 2,481
  I'd like in as well, if possible. It'd give me a very good reason to get my review site, Tabletop Tech, up and running.

You'd probably be more interested getting it in the hands of the likes of Tyll, ClieOS, Brooko and MuppetFace, though, before all else.

What about Jude?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back