The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #213 of 2,481
BY THE WAY the offer is still on the table: anyone in LA, or heck, anywhere in SoCal within reason (I'm not driving to Anaheim but I'll meet you half way!) who wants to hear the Explorer is welcome to arrange a meetup with me. Bring whatever cans you like! Audeze, Senns, Beyers...I'll take the Pepsi challenge with anything that's got a 3.5 or 6.35 on it! (I'll bring adapters if you don't have em :p)

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #215 of 2,481
Hi Gilly87,

one thing that almost everyone forgets about but that is very important - at least to me - is sensitivity to Telephone frequencies.
It is a drag when you have a very expensive DAP with a fantastic sound quality - but as soon as you get close to someone with a cell phone (like ini the subway or in your own pockets...) the unnerving interferencies start spoiling all the fun.

So - this could be something to really differntiate your product from others.

Cheers and good luckl

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #216 of 2,481
  Hi Gilly87,

one thing that almost everyone forgets about but that is very important - at least to me - is sensitivity to Telephone frequencies.
It is a drag when you have a very expensive DAP with a fantastic sound quality - but as soon as you get close to someone with a cell phone (like ini the subway or in your own pockets...) the unnerving interferencies start spoiling all the fun.

Cheers and good luckl

Shouldn't be too sensitive to EMI interference if it's designed correctly and has a full metal case.

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #217 of 2,481
Heya AlterSack,

Thanks for the feedback :) Our player was on display at CES with thousands of phones buzzing all around us, wifi signals flying everywhere, and just about every kind of electronic device you can image in the same room, and we didn't notice any interference, so I think you'll be fine. Maybe it has something to do with the leather...? Can't say for sure, but nobody said anything at CES, and I have 3 phones on me at all times and I've never heard anything.

Quote:
  Hi Gilly87,

Cheers and good luckl

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #219 of 2,481
As for streaming services, there are a number of them that are offering 16/44.1 now, most notably TIDAL who seems to have a rather large library.

Also this is not a Chinese brand; we're based in the US and will be doing our customer support and distribution from this side of the Pacific, even though the manufacturing is done abroad, so no need to worry about that. We're also talking to multiple European distributors, so let your mind be at ease
wink.gif

As for our price point competitors, well, really I think it comes down to functionality and sound, and with the Android OS's intuitive controls, streaming capability, and flexibility, combined with the overwhelmingly positive response we received at CES with regards to the sound and driving ability, I think things are looking pretty good from our corner of the ring.

I think you're not quite understanding me so let me retry.

I know you're not a Chinese brand, that's pretty clear. A European distributor would put my mind at easy but eveen then emerging from the niche market will be very challenging.

Tidal is UK/US only. Deezzer is mentioned as offering FLAC but that's also US only it seems. So effectively there seems to be no service in Europe justifying the purchase of a device that touts streaming as it's unique selling point. Unless I'm missing something.

Congrats on the feedback!

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #220 of 2,481
Me, I just know it sounds good; better than anything I've heard south of a grand that's portable. To me, it sounds as good as a few full sized rigs I've heard, so I'm stoked about having that kind of sound on-the-go PLUS the option of streaming and the really unique WiFi/DLNA connectivity feature.

Would you say then that the Fiio X7 will be one your closest competitors?

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #221 of 2,481
A fair complaint, but I'm sure HiFi streaming services will be more widely available before long.

Regardless, I think it's worth buying on sound alone, and we're still the only player that can stream music from a local wifi-connected source :) We have other surprises in store, too...

Quote:
  I think you're not quite understanding me so let me retry.

I know you're not a Chinese brand, that's pretty clear. A European distributor would put my mind at easy but eveen then emerging from the niche market will be very challenging.

Tidal is UK/US only. Deezzer is mentioned as offering FLAC but that's also US only it seems. So effectively there seems to be no service in Europe justifying the purchase of a device that touts streaming as it's unique selling point. Unless I'm missing something.

Congrats on the feedback!

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #223 of 2,481
I don't think so; they're looking for a substantially higher price point, and are lacking some of our most important functions, including touchscreen, streaming services, and optical out.

Quote:
Would you say then that the Fiio X7 will be one your closest competitors?

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #224 of 2,481
We will when we get closer to launch; at the moment, I'm offering a demo to anyone in SoCal who is willing to meet me in a public place.

Quote:
  I'm slowly getting intrigued.
Are you going to mail around a few samples like Fiio has done in the past?

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #225 of 2,481
I don't think so; they're looking for a substantially higher price point, and are lacking some of our most important functions, including touchscreen, streaming services, and optical out.

I'm not sure about the optical out, but fyi the X7 will have an android operating system and will support streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back