The Official Dota 2 Thread
Mar 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

mastershake2393

500+ Head-Fier
Although I haven't gotten into the beta [yet], I thought it would be nice to make a thread where people could discuss this fantastic game. 

To get things started: what is everyone's favorite hero? Mine's Riki [from what I've played of my friend's account].

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 47

Quote:
Yeah, the community is pretty harsh... It's nowhere near as bad as LoL though.

The community on LoL is usually okay IMO. Though some people act like ten year olds.

Here's a quote from my game of DOTA (not exact)

me: sorry if i don't do good, don't hate me for my first game
brony: I dont hate you because its ur first game, I hate u cuz u suck

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 47
Yeah, there're some jerks on DotA 2, but as more people are being let in, the community on the whole seems to be less accepting of jerky behavior on the whole.  In terms of LoL vs DotA2, I tend to prefer DotA's deeper gameplay mechanics, though I'll play LoL every now and then.

I tend to play ranged heroes, prefer to play support over carry.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 47
I've been playing HoN due to not being in the beta [yet]. Tbh, I think HoN's community can be extremely harsh at first. Starting on a new alt, I was almost kicked FOR NOT GETTING THE ITEM THE GUY SUGGESTED. Some low MMR thought he could just spew item suggestions and thought he knew what he was talking about. Bah!

Usually, I take up either carry or support, but jungling just isn't my thing at all. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 47
It's funny because I've had the same thing said to me, haha.

Quote:
The community on LoL is usually okay IMO. Though some people act like ten year olds.

Here's a quote from my game of DOTA (not exact)

me: sorry if i don't do good, don't hate me for my first game
brony: I dont hate you because its ur first game, I hate u cuz u suck

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 47
I've been in the beta for a while now. Wanted to like it, but I just can't seem to get into dota2 at all. Probably 200ish games of DOTA2 played now. I've got about 2k games played on LoL, been playing that since beta as well. LoL is basically my favourite online game so I may be a bit biased. Spent some time with HoN, but stuck with LoL since it was free and haven't looked back.

I just hate the UI in dota2. There's a huge lack of information present on-screen compared to LoL. It's all there, but you have to mouse over everything and wait for it to pop-up. I found that incredibly annoying, I'd rather be using my mouse for useful stuff than wasting time mousing over icons that could simply show numbers. The store is also atrocious, the organization is basically non-existent. That really doesn't matter anymore, now that I know items and builds, but at first it was aggravating. In LoL there's clear categories for each item type; defence, offence, mana, ap, ad ect.

And the UI itself is massive in-game. Like 2/3s of your screen is basically the ugly grey UI, and 1/3 in the centre is the game. 

I don't find either game "better" than the other gameplay-wise. Personally I just find dota2's UI to be so horrid it makes the game less enjoyable. Not that LoL's is perfect, it's got issues too. But none as glaring and obtuse as dota2. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 47
Just a quick survey of how many of the LoL players have heard of Spellsy, if anyone has I'm curious.

I've had beta since it came out essentially (really easy to get if you're known in the community,) and I probably have a total of 25 games ish.  There's just been no reason to switch really.  Less heroes and bugs have kept me from switching, although upon completion it will certainly be an upgrade in almost every sense (a few things I'm not sure I like as far as mechanics changes like orb and aura stacking.)  Of course the main reason I stick with orig Dota is thats where the majority of my friends have stayed, which is the most important factor.  

Love Dota though and can't wait for Dota2 release it seems like its in quite good hands.  As a decade long player of Dota its definitely come to be my favorite game of all time.

The community will show you no love ever hahah.  Especially if you're just starting you will be the scapegoat of countless games.  How it is now though "community" to me includes the 150 or so people I talk to in vent/on forums and all play in the same place, as opposed to the total player base.  (not that in here people don't flame it just becomes something to joke about and talk ****, or can be constructive.)

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #11 of 47
I recently got DOTA 2 thanks to an hardware survey of the late year and after trying it I really don't like it.
Not my cup of tea but at-least I had some fun in LoL, though I need to play it more to have a better idea. But I hate these nerd games when you need to know everything from the game to be able to win and avoid/predict special attacks from many different characters. The gameplay is horrible IMO and these kind of games are really not for me but alteast LoL is better from many things, at-least DOTA 2 is way better than the awfully cheap turd Rise of Immortals...

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 47

Quote:
I recently got DOTA 2 thanks to an hardware survey of the late year and after trying it I really don't like it.
Not my cup of tea but at-least I had some fun in LoL, though I need to play it more to have a better idea. But I hate these nerd games when you need to know everything from the game to be able to win and avoid/predict special attacks from many different characters. The gameplay is horrible IMO and these kind of games are really not for me but alteast LoL is better from many things, at-least DOTA 2 is way better than the awfully cheap turd Rise of Immortals...

>hates game because it's complex
>thinks LoL is fun
>mfw

You should play it more; the gameplay isn't terrible. And Dota 2 is a hell of a lot better than LoL. The community is better; the aesthetics are better and the entire game is balanced better.

Dota 2 is still in beta. LoL is just a cash-grab.

May 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 47
Agreed, Dota 2 is takes a dump on LoL anyday. LoL wants the money, while the way it looks and the gameplay is just crap. 

LoL is basically for beginners of strategy games in general. LoL lets you spam a lot more than in Dota; there's not much calculation needed compared to Dota. Also people should note that LoL and HoN was derived from Dota, so Dota 2 is original in its own since it's only carrying on the graphics/ UI from it's copiers. Usually people who think LoL is fun compared to Dota is because LoL has a much noob friendly atmosphere. Recommended items, no gold lost when killed, and so many perks from items that it's ridiculous. 

May 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #15 of 47
The only thing derived from Dota in LoL was the map. LoL and Dota have the same genre, but they are essentially different games with different playstyles and metagames. LoL is just easier to pick up because it is simpler than Dota, but that does NOT make LoL inferior. I play both AND HoN and I have fun in all of them, but Dota 2 has far too few heroes at the moment so it gets kinda stale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back