The Official Dota 2 Thread
May 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #16 of 47
If you were flamed by a brony, he wasn't a real brony. Hope you don't think less of us because of one mean guy.

I'm really liking Dota 2 though. Used to play LoL, haven't even wanted to touch it since I got into the Dota 2 beta.

May 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #17 of 47
Lol seriously. I've never known a brony to be mean... all friendship and love :)

So now I have over 100 hours put into Dota 2. I don't know how some people can think this gets stale. Hell, it would take about 60 hours to play one game with all the heros...

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:
Lol seriously. I've never known a brony to be mean... all friendship and love :)

So now I have over 100 hours put into Dota 2. I don't know how some people can think this gets stale. Hell, it would take about 60 hours to play one game with all the heros...

:frowning2: i rage at people who do stupid things

Dota 2 is amazingggggggggg. I can't play for a month and I'm extremely sad lmao.

anyone who would like to play together, add me :D

i believe mine is itsaaronxd

i'm from nyc.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #20 of 47
Never expected to find this thread in this forum lol. But hey, I do play Dota 2 myself and love it. I do agree that the community in the game is pretty harsh/immature/annoying/"Insert wtv. you want", but that doesn't qualify you from saying that all of the people is that. Some are actually pretty constructive and love to help others out in a mannerly way. I only wished the community was more mature, all in all.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #21 of 47
I'm new to DotA type hero games. I used to watch my roommate play at college, and I feel learning from a friend by watching over his/her shoulder and having them tell you what to do for your first few games is the only way to learn. I wish there was a tutorial mode and other ways to ease in new players, but... As it stands, it seems all these games are dominated by hardcore players that started playing around when the gametype first appeared in Warcraft III, but that core is mostly made up of teens who learned their social skills from the Anonymous Internet :/

As a 25 year old who has been gaming for most of my life, I'm pretty good at picking up almost any game, but the typical community is a big turn off. I honestly dread the days where these freely abusive gamers inherit the workplace. It'll be like everyone expects to be a cutthroat railroad tycoon from the industrial age :frowning2:

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #22 of 47
It's not that you can't make friends and find good people, it's just... Well, you all play online, I'm sure you've seen what I mean. I fully believe that it's the psychology of the person and not games themselves that make people "mean" or "bad," but when the gaming community encourages no restraint and antagonism, then THAT can turn a person on the inside.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #23 of 47
Dota itself relies heavily on teamplay, which is kind of rage inducing in itself when your teammates cause your demise as opposed to starcraft or quake as examples

Counterstrike was better due to scrims being premade parties of 5 vs 5, but you're pretty much forced into playing with strangers in dota unless you have 5 on, and respect goes out the window real fast

my 2 cents

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:
Dota itself relies heavily on teamplay, which is kind of rage inducing in itself when your teammates cause your demise as opposed to starcraft or quake as examples

Counterstrike was better due to scrims being premade parties of 5 vs 5, but you're pretty much forced into playing with strangers in dota unless you have 5 on, and respect goes out the window real fast

my 2 cents

How is CS any better than dota/lol?

You need teams of 5 if you want to not be matched up with idiots in both games. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #25 of 47
How is CS any better than dota/lol?

You need teams of 5 if you want to not be matched up with idiots in both games. 

I don't quite get the distinction either, but I would say there is less of a learning curve in CS. Mostly you need to be careful watching new viewpoints (doorway, end of a hallway), jumping and movement skills come into critical play only against very good, seasoned players. The character, spell, item, and recipe variations are a massive learning curve spike for first time players in dota/lol type games.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #27 of 47
I saw ze DotA 2. How's it compared to the original? Haven't touched any games in about a year now. Well if it's better than DotA, then it's the best MOBA there is. LoL is just a flat out push fest that doesn't need any brains. Mechanics of DotA are on another level, but w/e. I'm guessing everything is still pretty imba. Don't see how CS can be compared :wink: since it's a fps/tps. But about the time I left, the DotA community was but a shadow of its former self :/ so many crappy pubs. 

Oh, dota/dota2/HoN/league of loser format games w/ 3 lanes would be called moba (multi player online battle arena).

The metagame for DotA the last time i was there, was pretty much by mid-late game you could decide the winners unless the winning team started messing around. Other thing about DotA is picking your heroes and counterpicking. Denying creeps, not feeding, watching the map, lalala so on and so forth. 

Oh man... it feels all so distant... as in ages since I've played any games. Well, these are my thoughts. Never played the unmentionable game that starts with an "l". Cringe every time I hear it. Never played HoN or 2, but have played DotA. The glorious original. No game is really better than the other since they all pretty much kill your time, and with mobas... raging isn't really good for your health n neither is sitting indoors. I didn't rage much (just lol'd at the feeder), but man, some people will rage like no other. 

Whew. Got all of that out. Sorry if it seems a bit too forward. Just that I got into DotA/MOBA 2 years before "l" showed up and everyone would not shaddap about it in school. I remember back in the day when everyone had lives, but wow. You'd be surprised at the amount of people that waste countless dollars for something unreasonable and just talk about it every other word. 

But whatever goes up, must come down. Runescape was hot in 4th grade... now this terribad stuff. K. DONE WITH THE RANT. You think this is forward, watch IMVUrant and he'll dish it out.

Back on topic. And sorry guys :/ just had to splurge that out since I saw "l".

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #28 of 47
Dota 2 is ALMOST better than Dota. It just has to have all of the original heroes transferred over from Dota for it to truly be its successor.

I haven't played Dota in years too; I use to play LoL, but it got waaaaaaaay too boring. The fact that you have to buy, or grind, for the hero that you want to play is absolutely ridiculous.

The meta has changed significantly since 5.7 (when I last played Dota). With recent additions in 6.77, more and more heroes that weren't played at the competitive level are being picked. For example: Naix, Nyx (Nerubian Assassin), Gryrocopter, and Batrider have started getting first-round bans.

It all makes for a much more interesting game. One that won't go away for a very long time.

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:
Dota 2 is ALMOST better than Dota. It just has to have all of the original heroes transferred over from Dota for it to truly be its successor.

I haven't played Dota in years too; I use to play LoL, but it got waaaaaaaay too boring. The fact that you have to buy, or grind, for the hero that you want to play is absolutely ridiculous.

The meta has changed significantly since 5.7 (when I last played Dota). With recent additions in 6.77, more and more heroes that weren't played at the competitive level are being picked. For example: Naix, Nyx (Nerubian Assassin), Gryrocopter, and Batrider have started getting first-round bans.

It all makes for a much more interesting game. One that won't go away for a very long time.

I could see why for nyx (invis) and gyro (stun+nuke). Can be countered with mangina :p and wards. Naix and batrider are easy to deal with if you don't let him get away early. Are the mechanics pretty much the same (orbwalking, swing time, etc)? :0 think i saw some new heroes in there... tempted to try. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:
I could see why for nyx (invis) and gyro (stun+nuke). Can be countered with mangina :p and wards. Naix and batrider are easy to deal with if you don't let him get away early. Are the mechanics pretty much the same (orbwalking, swing time, etc)? :0 think i saw some new heroes in there... tempted to try. 

Yeah mechanics are pretty much the same. Even the stupid hit boxes for pulling remain.

Naix recently had a buff that added +2 seconds to Rage, so he basically has a full BKB at level 7 lol. Nyx got a buff to his Mana Burn, and Bat got a buff to basically everything. Recently he got a nerf so you can't autoattack during Lasso :l

You can get a key reeeeeally easily now; they're worth practically nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back