The Official Dallas Head-Fi meeting results thread
Aug 7, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #76 of 110
(Just a side note to those of you in the audience.)

Can you believe all this over a product I actually REALLY LIKE?
Can you imagine if I actually disliked it?

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #77 of 110
while this is really interesting..

did anyone notice or did a comparison between the Arcam CD72 and the ART DIO modded?

i got both the arcam cd72 and a modded ART DIO(using the arcam as transport) and ive been listening to it backandforth hours and hours.. i still cant make up my mind which i prefer..
rolleyes.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #78 of 110
Kelly,
Please, spare me. Those that are interested in finding a number of your posts spreading the rumor the amplifier was bright need only look through the archived posts here. Look, this is already starting to turn into a pissing contest so let's not waste any further bandwidth. I just would like you guys to constantly remind folks that these are your opinions and not those of designated golden ears!

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #79 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
while this is really interesting..

did anyone notice or did a comparison between the Arcam CD72 and the ART DIO modded?

i got both the arcam cd72 and a modded ART DIO(using the arcam as transport) and ive been listening to it backandforth hours and hours.. i still cant make up my mind which i prefer..
rolleyes.gif

They weren't there at the same time.
frown.gif

I missed meeting LarryS and his gear and he me and mine.

How do you feel they compare in terms of high frequency detail and extension? Notice any difference?

I only got to hear the CD72 once and I have such little respect for the store I almost wonder if they sabotaged it to sell more Linn players.

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:35 PM Post #80 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by flashbak
Kelly,
Please, spare me. Those that are interested in finding a number of your posts spreading the rumor the amplifier was bright need only look through the archived posts here. Look, this is already starting to turn into a pissing contest so let's not waste any further bandwidth. I just would like you guys to constantly remind folks that these are your opinions and not those of designated golden ears!

There is actually only one thread and it was not difficult to find:
sugden headmaster - bright or neutral?

If anyone would like to read that, go there. I think Crescendopower was the only one in that thread who found the Headmaster to be bright. Everyone else replied neutral and I ordered the amplifier. After hearing it, I agree that it's not bright and wonder if Crescendo might have been pairing it with a bright source or cables when he had his.

I do agree that these are all opinions--but I wish others here would take the approach of listening to equipment prior to making claims about it. I compared the Max and Sugden. I welcome responses from anyone else who has. That'd be a far more interesting debate than with someone who hasn't bothered.

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #82 of 110
Kelly,
I'll ask it for a 3rd time, if anyone would care to loan me a Max for a few days I would be more than happy to offer a detailed review of the two head to head. So you see I have bothered! Believe me I'd love to have a meet in my area to do comparisons, but it looks unlikely.

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #83 of 110
If you're serious about a comparison, you would best be talking to Headroom, don't you think? Do it, man!! You've set the water to boil'in and you,ve stirred the pot enough, so now you've got to put in the final ingredients!

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #84 of 110
Quote:

Kelly,
I'll ask it for a 3rd time, if anyone would care to loan me a Max for a few days I would be more than happy to offer a detailed review of the two head to head. So you see I have bothered! Believe me I'd love to have a meet in my area to do comparisons, but it looks unlikely.

Don't you guys have a few members up near Pittsburgh? Seems like you guys really SHOULD get together.

Aug 7, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #86 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
One thing to keep in mind when talking about the Max, when using the crossfeed, bass is noticeably boosted.

DA, while I think this was true on the older versions of the HeadRooms amps, I really don't notice any significant boost in the bass with crossfeed enabled on the new version of the Max.

Quote:

That is why Headroom provides the 3 position brightness brightness switchto rebalance the sound, but even with brightness engaged the bass is stronger vs no crossfeed. This adjustability feature is very useful to tailor sound.

The brightness switch is useful for tailoring the sound in the treble region, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't touch the bass. Or do you mean that by increasing treble response there is a different balance?

Aug 7, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #87 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
kelly is a cute raccoon with headphones. I love him. Dammit.
tongue.gif

I find it incredible that anyone would take my silly post as an attack on Kelly himself. If anyone should feel himself lampooned, it's the guy who joked about wanting to "beat" Kelly. I've never beaten anyone in my life.

But even that guy shouldn't feel maligned, because the person I was really making fun of was an imaginary televangelist who wants to condemn violence but is a paraphile who can't stop fondling himself while envisioning orgies of Fulci-explicit carnage.

What this has to do with headphones, I'm not certain. But what I do know is this: bounty hunting is wrong. Be sure to spread the message.

BTW: Is there any weight at all to these discussions of a headphone's "reverb?" I get the impression this must be a common term on Head-fi (and possibly among other audiophiles), but I really don't see why. Having spent half my life watching engineers place mikes in rooms strategically, I don't see how the term can be applied to w100s, which are more dry than any room. Nor do I see the analogy between headphones and a room at all: A room isn't just walls. It's also the space between the walls, the reflectivity, etc. But there is no appreciable space between headphones and the head.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to compare the placement of headphones on the skull to the distance between a mike and the resonant part of an instrument? It's true that the sound of a kick drum can change dramatically when the mike is moved an inch from its original spot, but that's due to the architecture and resonance of the instrument (and to the quirks of the mike), not the reflections of the room. You've got overhead mikes to pick up the reverb effect, but I can't see any aspect of phones or the skull that is analogous to overheads.

But even my revision of the metaphor seems awkward because, in the aforementioned scenario, the phones would be comparable to the instrument, the head, to the mike. The idea is so recalcitrant it could be used in one of Donne's Holy Sonnets.

Aug 7, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #88 of 110
Quote:

Kelly,

please remove thy head from thy ass. you're making us happy and normal sugden owners look like fanatics.

and yeah, i'd really like somebody to loan me a max so i could mess around with it, but i don't expect that anytime soon. i'd also like somebody to loan me a porsche carrera4..

quit your bitching, you have a great amp and don't need much else. my rkv should be coming in the next month and i'll give a review of its bass vs. sugden bass..

Aug 7, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #89 of 110
grinch,
Let's see requesting a Max for auditioning purposes is like asking someone to loan you a Porsche Carrera 4? Ok, whatever you say. I guess we hang out in different circles! And making other Sugden owners look like fanatics because I questioned the results of these findings? Again, whatever you say. However, I think you should heed your own advice about removing thy head!

Aug 7, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #90 of 110
Quote:

grinch,
Let's see requesting a Max for auditioning purposes is like asking someone to loan you a Porsche Carrera 4? Ok, whatever you say. I guess we hang out in different circles! And making other Sugden owners look like fanatics because I questioned the results of these findings? Again, whatever you say. However, I think you should heed your own advice about removing thy head!

we DEFINITELY "hang out in different circles." i live where there are roads and buildings as oppose to sticks and rodents. and how many offers have you gotten so far for people to loan you a max? as many as i've gotten to loan me a carrera? ZERO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back