The Official Cigar Thread
Jun 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #1,186 of 1,369
Yeah Cabs are good if you can get them cheap. I like the Guapo maduros a lot.

Kind of crappy out today but I may burn something.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #1,188 of 1,369
Happy Late Birtday Bill. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #1,189 of 1,369
Friday night I had a Tatuaje J21 Reserva, Saturday I had a Padron 1926 No. 35 natural and a 1926 No. 2 maduro, Sunday I had another J21 and a DPG Serie JJ belicoso maduro, today I have an Opus Super Belicoso. Not too bad I guess.

Thanks Jason.

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #1,190 of 1,369
Ok guys, let's talk lighters. Forgive me if this has been covered, but I can't read through 75+ pages of thread, lol. I've owned most every under $100 lighter over the years, but man there is a lot of junk out there! I found a lotus I liked ( don't know the model, I can find it if it really matters...), and promptly got it taken away by the TSA Nazi's while flying home from Hawaii this winter. So...what do you guys like, hate, use currently, etc, etc... I was just looking at a Porsche Design one which looks nice, but the woman at my local B&M didn't seem too enthused. So, what are you using, my BOTL? Oh, and I'm not set on a torch style...I've got plenty of throwaway torches for the golf bag, car, whatever...what are your NICE lighters?

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #1,191 of 1,369
I used to have a lot of Colibri models. I like torches most if not all of the time. I use a Lotus now with Vector fuel (THE BEST)  and an old Davidoff cutter.

My girlfriend got a Xikar lighter and it sucked butt. She got a different color lighter like mine.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #1,192 of 1,369
Yeah vector rules...the 5x filtered or whatever? That's what I use too. Good to know about xikar. Their cutters are a joke...probably one of the most popular cutters around, but if something gets stuck the spring doesn't work anymore:frowning2: Just my opinion of course... I keep on meaning to order that colibri tailgate model I think? It has a bottle opener on it! I'd be happy as a clam with that in my golf bag!

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #1,194 of 1,369
I use a Lotus T3 at home.  Nice big size lights up things with ease.  But usually I just stick with the cheaper stuff even at hom a lot.  Have a Lotus L820 that works and is nice because it has an integrated punch.

The go tos though are either an old school Collibri Firebird that is about 5 years old and still rockin or my Zippo with Z Plus dual flame insert.

As for Xikar cutters I have had them for a long time.  They do have a lifetime warranty you know.  In fact I recently sent back a branded cutter that was never available retail to Xikar that had a sticky action and they replaced it with a brand new cutter no questions asked.  I also have a Palio too which is a great cutter.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #1,195 of 1,369
Right now in my pocket I have a bic with a viking on it and a Castleford torch which I picked up for 15 bucks.  My local b&m owner uses one regularly and it hasn't let me down (except right now, since I'm out of fuel, hence the bic).  I've never gone much for lighters except for my pipe, I'm a matchstick man in that.

My box of Romeo y Julietta petite robustos has shipped, so just waiting on the post office.  Fingers crossed for delivery tomorrow before the weekend cook out.  :)

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #1,196 of 1,369
I'm turning 18 soon and I'd like to try a cigar (legally, of course).  I've snooped around the thread a couple times before and I've seen Romeo y Julietas get some praise as a good bang for buck cigar.  I'd like something that's noob-friendly and inexpensive ($10-20).  I'd also like to know where I could get one in person.

I live in south orange county, but a 30 mile radius of traveling sounds reasonable.

I found a place that's about 10 minutes away,
http://shop.cubancigarfactory.com/
but I don't understand the process of selecting a cigar and I'm asking for your guys' help.  I'm sure even though they only advertise packs for sale I could get single ones.  I always see people smoking cigars in there.

Thanks for any help that comes my way.
If there's any other criteria I should answer feel free to question.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #1,197 of 1,369
Hey there R04R, thanks for stopping in to the thread.

To be truthful, my first cigar was when I turned seventeen, a garcia y vega gas station stogie.  Horrible, btw.  For one of your first, I would suggest something fairly cheap, but good.  Most noobs like to start with a Connecticut shade leaf wrapper, since it's fairly mild, but with a sweet flavor that most can pick up over the smokey overtones.  My personal recommendation is to get yourself an Oliva Connecticut, a Nub Connecticut or a Cusano 18.  These are fairly widely available, so if you find a local cigar shop in your area, they will most likely have one of the three, and the great thing is that most of these are between three and six bucks.  Pick up a cheap cutter so you don't get too invested before you know if you'll like it and light it with a wooden match if you have access.  Sit yourself down on a nice night with a glass of water, coffee, or tea (preferably) and light it up with a few friends or family members.  If you like it, welcome to the hobby, if not, you have a great experience for your 18th birthday.

Cheers and happy smoking.

Zach

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #1,198 of 1,369
I found this website.  http://www.tobacco-barn.com/  They're about 10 minutes away and there are so many choices to choose from.  I'm still confused on what I should get.  It's required to purchase 5 minimum and I'm splitting the price with a friend.  What now?  I think a definite single recommendation would be best for me, otherwise I'll keep second guessing and never buy it.  I'm thinking a $6 cigar max.
Thanks again.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #1,199 of 1,369
I would look at the Oliva G maduro, La Aroma de Cuba, Rocky Patel Sun Grown or Vintage, Tatuaje Havana VI, Perdomo Habano Corojo as they are all solid choices.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #1,200 of 1,369
Apparently I'm not very bright, since I led you guys to believe I had ordered Romeo y Julietta cigars, lol.  My Hoya de Monterrey petite robustos arrived in the mail today.  Smell great, nice color to them.  Rolled in 08, so a little age on them already.  I'll let you know how they go after my lengthy walk this afternoon to enjoy one.

Cheers,
Zach

Users who are viewing this thread

Back