The Official Cigar Thread
May 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #1,156 of 1,369
Very good stick.  Burned a pepin blend LAdC Churchill last night.  At 50 it is at the top end of the rg I enjoy.  Really do prefer the cc sizes, wish the nc guys would follow suit, but looks like the other way round.  :frowning2:

That aside I really enjoyed the new LAdC.  Better than the old and close to the old EE.  I have high hopes for the new EE now.  I will say this smoking this after the SLR really did show that LAdC has now really lived up to its name.

May 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #1,157 of 1,369
hey guys, an update on my foray into first time cigar smoking. So far I have had quite a few single sticks to see what different cigar blends and wrappers are like. I have had Padron 1964, Oliva G, Nub Conn, Exodus 1959 and several others. I have to say I'm not really digging cigar smoking to be honest. The smell of cigars is really of putting for me (all cigars smell like cow poo to me, literally). I'm also finding that differences between cigars are minimal from my perspective, with the main smell/taste in all cigars being a certain tobacco that as I mentioned before reminds me of poo... For example, I could tell the difference between the padron and exodus, padron was slightly smoother and exodus had a slightly fruity flavor with more spice but overall to a new smoker like me the smelly tobacco smell dominated everything. These flavors that people talk about in reviews and such  (like choc, leather) are all very slight in actual cigar smoking I've found.
I'd also like to say that the after smell of smoking on clothes and breath was disgusting! It smelled like turd! It's like 100 times worse than cigarette smells ( I don't smoke cigarettes, just saying) So looks like I won't be smoking anymore cigars, haha.

May 20, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #1,159 of 1,369
Trance, sorry to hear about your smoking experience but at least you will have a fuller wallet and better health.

May 20, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #1,160 of 1,369
Just got these LFD Cabinet Oscuros from that monster cigarplace sale:

May 20, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #1,161 of 1,369
I'll take them off your hands TRANC
atsmile.gif

sorry it's not for you but glad you gave it a chance.
I just got back from smoking a stick. I'm just trying as many as I
can that are in my budget. the days of smoking >$15 sticks are over.
I still have a slight buzz from the nicotine. It's great cigar smoking weather
I had a passerby comment how good my cigars smells.
It's hard finding one that's cheap and good as everyone's taste varies.
I understand everything you've said. I've read reviews where the reviewer
said the cigar smells like poo.
On to your next foray. (I'm also getting into tasting different Kentucky Bourbons, now)

May 21, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #1,163 of 1,369

Quote:
I just tried a Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve torpedo(maduro).  Just wondering if anyone else on here thinks its highly underrated?  88 for this thing?  Come on!

Well keep in mind 90 and above is the exceptional with very few smokes going 94 and above.  The OWR is a good cigar but 88 is about right.  That being said reviews are highly subjective and I trust my own tastes first and foremost.  And my agreement to the number is based off of more than a decade of cigar smoking.  When I was new to it I almost never agreed with ratings.

May 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #1,164 of 1,369
Well, I've been smoking stogies for 5yrs so I'm no inexperienced smoker... I honestly just feel that it's a raw cigar which is a departure from most cigars on the market today. It's not polite if you know what I mean but I feel the tobacco is premium as is the roll. I am of course partial to these kinds of supremely oily cigars... Few out there this oily...

May 26, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #1,167 of 1,369
Ratings can be a good gauge but smoke what you like. I feel the RP Decade is a better smoke and I am partial to the Vintage 1990 line as well. The OWR is definitely in the top 5 of my favorite RP blends.

May 26, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #1,169 of 1,369
Personally, I find that anything ranging from 88 on up is a good smoke.  Usually I use the ratings as a guide for what to try, but that said, I don't go solely by ratings, I try whatever is put in front of me.

Cheers,
Zach

May 30, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #1,170 of 1,369
Enjoying a Illusione MK right now.  Really enjoying the corona size.  Great wrapper flavor and decent price.

Cheers,
Zach

Edit: update to this stick.  One of the best I've had in a long while.  I actually had to use a toothpick to finish it, which hasn't happened since the middle of my senior year of college.  Looking to pick a box up in the next few months.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back